The super city... and no motor bikes??

harryopal1

Watching Metro TV's promotion for PIK2 the new Jakarta City. Amazing so spacuous with parks, riverside beaches, sidewalks and joggers and cyclists and clean and.... but not a single motor cycle in sight anywhere throughout the promotion. How does that work? Do they have armed guards at entrance points to shoot motor cyclists who try to enter? And no stalls or sidewalk sellers?

A huge project but if any of it has the kind of construction problems often highlighted in this forum? ....Aduh!
Who are the super rich manipulating the billions to build this?

...when profits are to be made, a way will be found. We can be sure about that.

A huge project but if any of it has the kind of construction problems often highlighted in this forum? ....Aduh!

They're currently trying one of these major projects in Makassar, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I was quite doubtful when it was announced, but if the amount of development that's gone on in the city over the past few years is any indication, something may yet come to fruition.

"CitraLand City - Centrepoint of Indonesia" that was the one.

But as always, you have to wonder as to the quality of some of the finished projects. I haven't had any firsthand experience (aside from seeing the salesmens' eyes lighting up when they see a bule) buying from one of these, but I did get warned off pretty quickly when I asked around (a different project to the one mentioned above).

.... but not a single motor cycle in sight anywhere throughout the promotion. How does that work?

Pretty sure it'll be impossible, but you could choose to live in hope. I certainly wouldn't be buying on that premise though! :ROFLMAO:

No way I would choose to live in one of these "super cities." Even if we had the money which we haven't

What is it with people against motorcycles? I mean I don't like how many of the motorcyclists ride their bikes in Indonesia (and other countries), but why "ban" the bikes instead of enforcing the laws? You'll get a lot more revenues from the tickets anyway (once you can eliminate the under the table payments to the individual police officers; which has reduced significantly I was told). maybe the super cities can put up red light cameras and send the tickets to the registered car owners. And prevent the name registration renewal until it's paid for.

Agung Sedayu.

The same ones as Taman Anggrek Residences (with land from Titie Suharto). So there you go...when there's money involved ethnicity doesn't play a big role anymore.

No way I would choose to live in one of these "super cities." Even if we had the money which we haven't

Bwah, these super blocks are rather convenient. Scholing, shops, healthcare, all combined. Not so different from Dubai or Singapore. It's more and more government stimulated, the trend for young families and the future; people have to move to the cities.

Also, the super blocks in cities as Jakarta are aimed at locals and working expats. Now I can imagine a retired foreigner would not be interested but if you see the kost or tiny houses with a 2x2 meter backyard many retirees and foreigners live in on Bali, that's not so much better. Then I'd prefer an identical sized apartment with Olympic size pool.

Last edited:
Motorcycles are a symbol of the poor.....

five-motorbike-indonesia-7156084082.jpg

Projects like PIK2 don't aim at those people at all. They want investors who rent out and upper middle class.

Motorcycles are a symbol of the poor.....

five-motorbike-indonesia-7156084082.jpg

Projects like PIK2 don't aim at those people at all. They want investors who rent out and upper middle class.
Yes, I get that but motorbikes are not the exclusive prerogative of the poor. Many people just like the convenience of bikes. And I wonder how they will respond to many of the poorer people who might like to set up stalls. A complete ban?

motorbikes are not the exclusive prerogative of the poor
Nah, that is western thinking and more a Bali WNA-only phenomenon, Harry.

As so often, we can project a Maslow here...

images

This is rather standard. But: In this society, I would replace the Safety layer with Status-markers....

Last edited:
Well, of course they can't ban motorcycles. There will still be the (GoJek) deliveries and workers normally drive bikes. But in the bigger buildings they are not allowed at the front lobby anymore and have to park somewhere in designated areas in the basement. The owners need to report that and there are separate freight/goods/personnel elevators, often located in the utility and garbage rooms.

If you talk about K5, on private roads and in most areas these will be forbidden. Obviously esp. in Jakarta it is difficult to eradicate something like that; you look the other way and there they are again...so it will be occasional sweeps.

Public parking on the roads is also forbidden btw, that is more and more enforced.

Last edited:
Nearly zero motorbikes in HKG, except for some delivery boys and courriers.

With Gojek, Gocar, Grab and Bluebird being more and more convenient to take and "improving" public transportation, I'd say car ownership could start declining in 2020? Electric motorcycles may be more convenient (as well as perhaps electric standing scooters, electric bicycles, etc).

The inconvenience of motorcycle ownership is one reason I ditched my Yamaha Scorpio (225cc, just below the 250cc threshold) and never got a chance to get the Bajaj 220. Parking is often quite far from the front lobbies, bringing helmets into buildings are often a no-no (I'm not leaving my nice helmet at the parking lot or with the attendant), and many other inconveniences. Harleys are a different beast altogether though... I'm just not into them.

I have a car , which I only use for the big trips shopping etc ,for the rest I use my "scoot" which I enjoy , perfect climate ,quick ,efficient .
Thankfully I never go near jakarta , the sooner they move the administration away, the quicker they can let it sink under the impending ocean ,then boats may be the preferred form of transport o_O

Last edited:
Yeah our esteemed governor would like to make it the Venice Of The South.

On the motorbike thing; that’s how we think about it. Convenient, kind of cool, enjoying the surroundings. If you see the local tourists visiting Bali (or anyplace else) for instance, they will not rent a bike but a car (with driver). And if they own a car, they will take it for anything.

Reminds me of a Ramadan TV commercial; a rich guy sitting in a MB G-Class has a surprise for his driver, and hands him over the keys of a motorcycle. Who is obviously very thankful for this gift.

Cars are fine for loading up with people or "stuff" ,and of course safety and comfort driving long distances ,but short journeys around the "gangs" or narrow roads of bali ,bikes win "hands down", but ya for the "status conscious" locals perceived image is everything .

but ya for the "status conscious" locals perceived image is everything

Well for me living in Jakarta there is no way on earth i am going on a bike or putting my kids on a bike and when visiting Bali I am sure i will feel the same. To me bikes in Indonesia are just not safe enough. To say that cars are just for status is just not right.

To say that cars are just for status is just not right.

I do think that @scouser59 gave much more nuance in his post though.

To me bikes in Indonesia are just not safe enough.

There is a video going around in which you can see him being hit by the truck...

I live in Bali, Sanur, and I have no bike and even less a car.
Being retired, no need for work / home travel. I cant see the point of having a car, being it from a practical (parking) or economical point of view, even a rental one.
Having never driven a bike, except a Mobylette when I was 16, I dont think that starting in an Bali type traffic at 66 y old is a wise idea.
So I use Blue Bird or Grab, and pushbike for short trips to the beach, which is at 300 m from my place.
Financially a car would not be cheaper, safety wise a bike would be much more dangerous.
And for our monthly trips to Banyuwangi aerea I have a taxi / driver (travel as they say here) which is a decent driver, and there is no way I would do that driving myself.
I have done plenty driving in several countries, Saudi, Egypt and Thailand and I am done with it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc