The Indonesian police will now send warning messages to errant social media users.

Is the CAGE subject to this scrutiny?
Legally speaking, yes.
It's like a FB wall. You can't expect to be legally out of reach if you're bitching about a company or a person on a FB wall which can be only viewed by a selected number of readers.

Any content posted online, even in an email sent to a group of persons in your contact list, can be scrutinized and prosecuted if anyone consider it has tarnished his/her reputation or interest.

It doesn't mean that you will be prosecuted and jailed because you emailed or posted that Fred or John is an idiot or that PT Kurang Ajar is providing shit services, but there is a risk. This is your responsibility to assess this risk and to decide if it's worth it to post what you have to say or not.

The notion of free speech differs from one country to another and in Indonesia it just means that you don't have to pay to talk, but that you can ultimately pay the price for what you have said.

This being said, I'd tell you that Police has bigger fish to fry than investigating a forum like ours where posts are written in a language most of them don't understand.
In the old junk I have received a few times threats of being reported to the Police from disgruntled users whose nationalist feelings (mostly WNI) or exaggerated pride (mostly WNA) had been hurt. Invariably I answered them to go get stuffed and I guess they have followed my advise because I never heard about them after.

A follow-up: Indonesian police will now give out badges (I'm guessing digital ones?) to people reporting crimes on social media. Not sure if the badges can be traded for anything useful, such as a free get-out-of-jail pass.

Wow... This is getting to be a bit much. Having people spying on their fellow citizens is never a good sign. Also, somehow the police have the time and energy to do this but not to enforce basic traffic laws in a meaning way... I guess you can't oppress everything, only so many hours between ten and two, and ya gotta eat lunch some time.

Enforcing social media laws are easier since the police can stay in their aircon. Chasing motorbikes driving the wrong way on the street is too difficult for them.

Wow... This is getting to be a bit much. Having people spying on their fellow citizens is never a good sign. Also, somehow the police have the time and energy to do this but not to enforce basic traffic laws in a meaning way... I guess you can't oppress everything, only so many hours between ten and two, and ya gotta eat lunch some time.
Welcome to the new world. Within 5 years Indonesia will have seen the potential for the Chinese style cameras everywhere with facial recognition technology and a modified version of social credits.

If Joko is gone and replaced by a President who sees criticism as insulting the nation of Indonesia and Islam they will argue, as with the Miltaristic rulers of Myanmar, that they are defending democracy.

Are you ready for a long stint in a corrective educational institution?

A follow-up: Indonesian police will now give out badges (I'm guessing digital ones?) to people reporting crimes on social media. Not sure if the badges can be traded for anything useful, such as a free get-out-of-jail pass.

STASI much, no?

I actually don't normally say anything particularly bad online, however I shall now be sifting through my fb friends list & ditching anyone in there who has anything to do with Indonesia :),
sorry Waarmie & any others from here :p

It's more a matter of who you offend. A local villager here got a 6 month jail sentence for asking the wrong question on FB in a provocative manner of a local big wig. It didn't go 'viral' but it served as a good warning to anyone else locally who wanted to kick a can...
Well that's disturbing. These type of regulations, even if well intentioned, always run the risk of going too far in some situations. I know I'm sometimes frustrated by some of the misinformation on social media, especially around coronavirus, but this seems a step beyond what's reasonable.

The Cybercrime Division of the Indonesian police now sends warnings to social media posters. The police will send DMs to warn users if their post seems to contain hoaxes, incitement, or hate speech. The user then has 24 hours to delete the content or face further action.

Today, they have sent out 12 such messages already, so check your inboxes...

O'O .. should I remove the bikini part , is that included in Hoaxes category? LMAO

The section about correcting through education reminds me of China's insistence that the Uyghers are not in prison in those barbed wire wall rimmed camps but are there voluntarily for education and training.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the BBC article quoted below, at least 125 people have been warned by the virtual cops since their inception in February.

One particularly interesting case was that involved account arkham_87, who wrote "What does he know about football, all he knows is being given positions", apparently about President Jokowi's son, and recently elected mayor of Solo (Surakarta), Gibran Rakabuming. Even though he did not mention Gibran by name, he was still "invited" by the Surakarta police and "persuaded" to post an apology.

"I apologize to Mr. Gibran Rakabuming and all of Surakarta's residents. I regret and promise not to repeat this. If I do, I agree to be processed according to prevailing laws", reads the apology which was uploaded to the Surakarta police department social media.

The Surakarta police chief said that the young man was not arrested, and was only called in to ask for clarification and to be "educated". For his part, Gibran said he has never reported anyone for insulting him.

The Executive Director of SAFE Net, Damar Juniarto, says Indonesia could become an Orwellian state, where the government continually monitors its citizens.

I actually don't normally say anything particularly bad online, however I shall now be sifting through my fb friends list & ditching anyone in there who has anything to do with Indonesia :),
sorry Waarmie & any others from here :p
Please, BA, say it isn't so. I rarely post anything on FB and, after all, am quarantined in the USA for the foreseeable future. We are likely to be all vaccinated by the end of April, but are still probably not going to be able to get visas for our usual Summer visit. Boo Hoo.

Please, BA, say it isn't so. I rarely post anything on FB and, after all, am quarantined in the USA for the foreseeable future. We are likely to be all vaccinated by the end of April, but are still probably not going to be able to get visas for our usual Summer visit. Boo Hoo.
I was teasing you.

My wife and sister-in-law got vaccinated yesterday through their employer, a greenhouse company. Seems that agricultural workers are among those considered essential. They got the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The only one left unvaccinated in our household is our 16 year old.

We take issue with this because of freedom of expression, but I'm starting to see that online censorship is happening all over the world. Try cursing on Facebook or YouTube now using certain flagged words deemed un-PC. You won't even get a warning message. It simply won't get published.

Cursing is an art form where the standard banned words need not be used to make and emphasize the intended point.

We take issue with this because of freedom of expression, but I'm starting to see that online censorship is happening all over the world. Try cursing on Facebook or YouTube now using certain flagged words deemed un-PC. You won't even get a warning message. It simply won't get published.
Zynga poker did that for about 12 years or more, banning set curse words.
hahahahaha there are so many alts though
& some of the most regular British English curse words were completely ignored ie twat

I have no issue with 'naughty' words, I swear like a navvy... but I have issue with killing kids in wars, with guns, made in countries, in factories, backed by governments... these things I do have issue with.
Way more offensive than words on the internet are scraps of what used to be humans in the streets & reality ought to rain down on such matters.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopTalent
Back