Safety Threats due to civil unrest or disruption

In a similar fashion as burungkecil the building I live in gets special protection when shit hits the fan due to certain high level people who live here. They were quite effective when there were some small riots end of last year in Jakarta, so I am not all too worried about that IF that happens.

Sound advise though to cozy up to your local community, even in good times.

Yes, it's when the religious groups start adopting that agenda that we should be worried, but since they are financed by the rich, it is less likely to happen.

Yes, it's when the religious groups start adopting that agenda that we should be worried, but since they are financed by the rich, it is less likely to happen.
Religious groups will not adopt this plan but you can bet that some imams will. While they may not tell people to go rape and pillage anyone they deem rich, they will fill their heads with the Oh Whoa is Me and how unfair others are. Planting things in followers minds, especially during times of struggle is their expertise.

When religious groups believe they're above the law, as in this case in India where officers were attacked trying to enforce movement restrictions, you have cause for concern. One officer lost a hand.

An Indian policeman's hand was chopped off with a sword and six other officers were severely injured when they were attacked while enforcing coronavirus lockdown measures in northern Punjab state.

The attack took place when a vehicle carrying seven men - who belong to the minority Sikh warrior sect known as the Nihangs - was stopped at a barricade outside a vegetable market in Patiala district, KBS Sidhu, a senior state government official, told CNN.

When police asked the men for valid travel passes, one of them took out a sword and cut off Singh's hand

Well, when you see Indian police methods, what can you expect ?
Although cutting a hand is of.course completely out of proportion.

Going around on WhatsApp, new technique used by burglars. They switched-off your power in the middle of the night, you thought why your house is having a blackout but not your neighbour’s house, it must be the circuit breaker outside your house which tripped. No, it’s not. And don’t open your door because robbers are waiting outside to get in. Try looking outside (your CCTV is not working because there is no power), if you see somebody, better call for help or wait until morning.

Going around on WhatsApp, new technique used by burglars. They switched-off your power in the middle of the night, you thought why your house is having a blackout but not your neighbour’s house, it must be the circuit breaker outside your house which tripped. No, it’s not. And don’t open your door because robbers are waiting outside to get in. Try looking outside (your CCTV is not working because there is no power), if you see somebody, better call for help or wait until morning.
Yet another reason to have a backup battery for your CCTV.

I'll call the above criminal technique 'Lights Out', this one I'll name it as the 'CCTV Footage' technique.

'CCTV Footage' technique, this is what happened. Someone knocked on your door, a person wearing Gojek or Grab jacket and a young girl. The young girl claimed she was robbed in front of your house, so the "driver" (presumably helping the girl) asked to go inside your house to watch footage from your CCTV (to know who robbed the girl). Do NOT open the door, they just want to gain entry and rob you. It may not be just 2 persons, their accomplice may be waiting nearby to go inside your house once you open the door.

Last edited:
Just this morning, I already received 2 videos of bag snatching right outside their own homes. Both are females who live in bungalows and got snatched after stepping out of their cars. It is possible they were followed by the criminals on a bike.

Just this morning, I already received 2 videos of bag snatching right outside their own homes. Both are females who live in bungalows and got snatched after stepping out of their cars. It is possible they were followed by the criminals on a bike.

I also received two videos. Maybe the ones you got are the same and If so check out the time stamp on the second one as it is from 2016. I am sure there are some robberies going on and it is always wise to be vigilant but I also suspect people are sending out these videos and making it seem worse than it is.

Crime is also driven by some of the fundamentals of economics... supply and demand. A lot of theft relates to stealing goods such as motorbikes, laptops, mobile phones, jewellery etc which can then be sold for money. In the present difficult economic circumstances there will be less demand for for some of these stolen goods so a temporary decline in crime makes sense.

However, when crime is driven by lack of food and the demand for stolen goods is less then the targets will be food stores and cash. Purse snatching, cash related robberies and break ins to wharehouses and food stores will explode. The real danger will be if numbers desperate for food spill into the streets and become mobs. Small shops with food and cash will be particularly vulnerable. Whether the national and regional governments can put into place sufficient food and cash support for some millions confronted with starvation will be the real test as to the scale of civil unrest for which the Widodo government is already bracing.

Go outside with your sword to investigate. Cut off hands of attackers. Reset power breaker. Everything is fixed and it won’t happen again. :ROFLMAO:

Go outside with your sword to investigate. Cut off hands of attackers. Reset power breaker. Everything is fixed and it won’t happen again. :ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of Julius Caesar, having defeated the Gauls in a massive battle, determined to persuade the Gauls that forever fighting the Romans was not a good idea, he had the hands of 10,000 prisoners cut off and the stumps dipped in tar to stop the bleeding. He then had the amputees scattered across the country side as a lesson. I suppose we really haven't changed much in the last two thousand years.

Reminds me of Julius Caesar, having defeated the Gauls in a massive battle, determined to persuade the Gauls that forever fighting the Romans was not a good idea, he had the hands of 10,000 prisoners cut off and the stumps dipped in tar to stop the bleeding. He then had the amputees scattered across the country side as a lesson. I suppose we really haven't changed much in the last two thousand years.
Evolution is Fake News. Just because you have a nice cell phone in your pocket doesn't mean much.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats