Recommended Indonesian Alcohol Brands

Where there's a will there's a way, Puspa. Thanks for the effort post, Atlantis.

Our contractor gave me a bottle of homemade moonshine in an aqua bottle, but I was a bit put off when it curdled the orange juice I mixed it with...

Where there's a will there's a way, Puspa. Thanks for the effort post, Atlantis.

Our contractor gave me a bottle of homemade moonshine in an aqua bottle, but I was a bit put off when it curdled the orange juice I mixed it with...
Almost a decade ago a nice Irish female forum member in her early 20's passed away in Lombok from drinking homemade moonshine bottled in re-used Mansion House bottles.

RIP Rozabeez

Be careful folks.

Almost a decade ago a nice Irish female forum member in her early 20's passed away in Lombok from drinking homemade moonshine bottled in re-used Mansion House bottles.

RIP Rozabeez

Be careful folks.

Yes, this has happened a few times unfortunately for everyone involved. (see: https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...es-during-dream-holiday-to-bali-26741244.html). I taught with her for six months and then moved to Taiwan for a couple of years. Moved in March, she passed in May, 2011.

I think the article you posted is for a British girl, so doubles down on the importance of being aware.

I think the article you posted is for a British girl, so doubles down on the importance of being aware.
Absolutely correct. My bad. I was surprised to see the date of the article without realizing that it was the wrong victim. In my memory it was almost a decade so your recollection of the dates confirms it.

Reactions: LRB
I just bought some Mansion House Whisky on the side of the road, sign-less place with a single lightbulb hanging in a tin shack. 105k for 350 ml seems neither expensive nor cheap compared to the Cpt Morgan I usually buy. Maybe a bit more per ml. Having tasted a couple of sips, it's fine for me. If you guys hadn't just said it, I wouldn't have known it was grain alcohol with flavoring. I've had worse stuff, where the artificial flavoring was obvious.

They didn't have Kawa Kawa or Cap Tikus. Said there was no arak. I'll have to go back in a few weeks and see what is in stock.

Last edited:
So I guess it's pretty safe for an occasional Whiskey Coke then? (as in Coca Cola of course....)...I usually do the Rum 'n Coke (Cap Morgan)...which is not that often anyway. Maybe since I don't drink that much anyway, I should just go for a decent one since it'll last quite a bit anyway..

Has anyone tried “Drum” whiskey? It's made in Bali by Astidarma in Tabanan, the same mob that makes Iceland Vodka.

I've tried the Black Label @ 150k / 700ml, it's not bad IMO, quite smooth & apparently the real deal.

They also make an aged 4 years Green Label which is “smooth & elegant” so they say but I'm not sure of the price because Bali Jaya in Jimbaran (where I get the Black Label) don't stock it.

So I guess it's pretty safe for an occasional Whiskey Coke then? (as in Coca Cola of course....)...I usually do the Rum 'n Coke (Cap Morgan)...which is not that often anyway. Maybe since I don't drink that much anyway, I should just go for a decent one since it'll last quite a bit anyway..
I spent years drinking Jim Beam over ice or iced tea when I lived in the States. I can't say I can tell that much difference in quality. I also have a smoker's palate.
Has anyone tried “Drum” whiskey? It's made in Bali by Astidarma in Tabanan, the same mob that makes Iceland Vodka.

I've tried the Black Label @ 150k / 700ml, it's not bad IMO, quite smooth & apparently the real deal.

They also make an aged 4 years Green Label which is “smooth & elegant” so they say but I'm not sure of the price because Bali Jaya in Jimbaran (where I get the Black Label) don't stock it.
I bought a small bottle of that in 2008 or 2009. Empty bottle sat around the house for years. I don't remember anything about it other than the black label, so it must not have been bad, by my reckoning.

Has anyone tried Vibe? Looks to be artificially flavored alcohols. Lots of varieties. I had someone trying to sell me 700 ml bottles for 240k a while back. I am curious as to how an 80 proof black tea flavored shot goes down.

Apparently Strongbow is brewed under licence here (by Heineken) using concentrate that is sent over from Holland.
Sadly still tastes of Strongbow...
Just taking the piss here. I got to trade apples for cider a few times at Thatcher's during my college years. Nothing quite like a nice gallon of scrumpy!
I'll happily drink any quantity of Strongbow. I'll just moan as I do it.

Sadly still tastes of Strongbow...
Just taking the piss here. I got to trade apples for cider a few times at Thatcher's during my college years. Nothing quite like a nice gallon of scrumpy!
I'll happily drink any quantity of Strongbow. I'll just moan as I do it.

Albens vs Strongbow, who wins? XD

Apparently Strongbow is brewed under licence here (by Heineken) using concentrate that is sent over from Holland.
Indeed PT Multi Bintang Indonesia has the license for both Heineken and Strongbow. The latter comes in two flavors, Golden apple and Dark Fruit and are both available in 250ml cans or 330ml bottles..

Forgot in my previous list the Seagram Vodka and Seagram Whisky Imperial black which are brewed under license here and are in the 200K-ish range. The Seagram Gin available in Indonesia is still brewed in the US.

Albens for the taste, Strongbow for the price. We have tried to market Strongbow here in North Sulawesi and further East but there was not really a market for it.

That's good to hear. Not a cider drinker but super happy to hear that local brands measure up. Strongbow was never really pleasantly regarded back home. I wonder if any start ups in Malang will be of the mind to make a local scrumpy, that could be fun! :))

So whaddayas reckon about that Drum whiskey (Atlantis)? ... is it any good or am I just a cheap drunk with a smokers palete like Happyman .... :D

So whaddayas reckon about that Drum whiskey (Atlantis)? ... is it any good or am I just a cheap drunk with a smokers palete like Happyman .... :D
My big weaknesses are rum and wine and I am not fond of whiskey so probably not the most qualified to judge it.
I have tasted Drum and wasn't impressed, nor deterred, but more importantly it is more expensive than some of his competitors, some of which having much better known names such as the Seagram whiskey for example.
Our main customers (Hotels and Resorts) choose the middle high or high range when it comes to whiskey because it is what their customers expect(ed) so I also know that it wouldn't be good business for me anyway.

Albens vs Strongbow, who wins? XD
What Atlantis said.
That first pint of Stongbow has to be ice cold for me to enjoy it. The second pint of anything tastes okay. I really do enjoy the Albens.

I have tasted Drum and wasn't impressed, nor deterred, but more importantly it is more expensive than some of his competitors, some of which having much better known names such as the Seagram whiskey for example.
Okay thanks, I don't recall seeing Seagrams but if I have then I doubt it was cheaper than Drum, anyway I'll keep an eye out & maybe give it a shot......

Okay thanks, I don't recall seeing Seagrams but if I have then I doubt it was cheaper than Drum, anyway I'll keep an eye out & maybe give it a shot......
I was talking about the Drum Green label 700ml when I was saying it is more expensive than the Seagram Imperial Black. Both come in 700ml bottles.
They have a Drum whiskey (no green label) in 350 ml which is dirt cheap (under 100K a bottle), but to be honest considering that I can have access to pretty much any spirit or wine I want at a price sometimes far below the average retail price I don't see the need of punishing myself with the Drum thing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back