Prime Rib Enquiry

javasatu

Anyone know a good restaurant in Jakarta that serves good American style prime rib? I have a craving for House of Prime Rib in San Francisco or just thick and juicy 1"-2" thick prime rib.

Years back, formally Lawry's at Senayan was probably the best in Jakarta (sigh).

Any information regarding the above will satisfy my craving and palate.

If you don't mind cooking your own, Premium Deli Online(they are on instagram) sells prime rib.

Aged and Butchered (AB steak) in Setiabudi

Basque has a promo for special chefs cuts at the moment. I had last week. Excellent.

Ruth's Chris is good but super mahal and cooked in butter not grilled

Not sure about American style steaks but my go to for a meat feast used to be Tucano's before the pandemic hit. La Posta was also pretty good for a steak. I hope they are both open still. I tried a place called Cut and Grill or something like that in Senopati, the quality of the meat was good but they didn't season it properly in my opinion, so never went back.

Prime Rib is not a steak. Not in the least bit.

I googled the definition of prime rib and while not faultless, Google came back with a definition from Oxford Languages that contradicts this statement... so, guess it depends on the definition you advocate (attached below for reference).

This link: https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-vs-ribeye/ states that "Prime rib and ribeye are similar, but... aren’t the same, nor is one technically better than the other. Both rib eye and prime rib are excellent steak cut options for different purposes." So presumably, it is a steak according to a self-professed "steak university".

The definition of steak at Oxford Languages (available here: https://www.google.com/search?q=pri...0l4j69i60l2.8127j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) states explicitly that steak is "high-quality beef taken from the hindquarters of the animal, typically cut into thick slices that are cooked by broiling or frying."

The statement that prime rib is a steak appears to be correct. In the least, it doesn't appear to be a controversial statement...

Attachments

• Not a steak.PNG
    Not a steak.PNG
    234.3 KB · Views: 151
I googled the definition of prime rib and while not faultless, Google came back with a definition from Oxford Languages that contradicts this statement... so, guess it depends on the definition you advocate (attached below for reference).

This link: https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-vs-ribeye/ states that "Prime rib and ribeye are similar, but... aren’t the same, nor is one technically better than the other. Both rib eye and prime rib are excellent steak cut options for different purposes." So presumably, it is a steak according to a self-professed "steak university".

The statement that prime rib is a steak appears to be correct. In the least, it doesn't appear to be a controversial statement...
Did you happen to actually read beyond one line of this article? If so you have found that it says that a Prime Rib is a standing rib roast, roast mind you that has servings cut from it. A Rib Eye is a steak that is removed from a raw Prime Rib. I suggest a little time reading what you want to use as evidence for your argument. Especially when it actually supports what you are arguing against. You could have even just looked at the pictures to figure it out.

Any time you want to argue meat cuts with me, bring it on. I had a period in my life where I was preparing 15 Prime Ribs a day for our customers and if someone should have ordered a ribeye steak, they would have gotten a cut from a raw ribeye roast and grilled. My dad was a butcher, I still buy large cuts and butcher them into what I like and I can take an Indonesian RIBEYE ROAST, or Cube Roll as they refer to it here and produce something that melts in your mouth and fork cuttable. Chicago? Right in my neighborhood.

I am not usually in Jakarta. In other cities I have seen it advertised at high end restaurants usually tied to golf clubs. They do it as a featured dinner special.

You could have used google image search and to see that a prime rib is an oven cooked roast, not a steak.

I am not usually in Jakarta. In other cities I have seen it advertised at high end restaurants usually tied to golf clubs. They do it as a featured dinner special.

You could have used google image search and to see that a prime rib is an oven cooked roast, not a steak.
Did you happen to actually read beyond one line of this article? If so you have found that it says that a Prime Rib is a standing rib roast, roast mind you that has servings cut from it. A Rib Eye is a steak that is removed from a raw Prime Rib. I suggest a little time reading what you want to use as evidence for your argument. Especially when it actually supports what you are arguing against. You could have even just looked at the pictures to figure it out.

Any time you want to argue meat cuts with me, bring it on. I had a period in my life where I was preparing 15 Prime Ribs a day for our customers and if someone should have ordered a ribeye steak, they would have gotten a cut from a raw ribeye roast and grilled. My dad was a butcher, I still buy large cuts and butcher them into what I like and I can take an Indonesian RIBEYE ROAST, or Cube Roll as they refer to it here and produce something that melts in your mouth and fork cuttable. Chicago? Right in my neighborhood.

I did read this (https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-filet-mignon-impossible-choice/) and this ( https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-vs-ribeye/ ). I quoted three lines from the second link attached in this post. So yes, I did read more than 'one line'.

We're defining cuts of meat, not arguing about methods of cooking said cuts. By definition, a prime rib is a form of steak and it is even referred to as such according to multiple sources. Everywhere I look, both prime ribs and ribeyes are described as 'steak cuts'. Still not a controversial statement... Prime ribs are 'steak cuts'... but you put them in the oven...

Last edited:
Don't read pop "blogs" as your source of info please. There are a LOT of confused people out there. Start with the common american butcher cuts called primal cuts. You break down the cow I to it's primal cuts. One if which is the rib primal.

Then from the rib primal you can get a standing rib roast cut. You can have it in 2, 3, 4 or more bones. Probably not more than 6 bones though. Here is the cool thing about this cut. If you ask for a single bone, it is a rib eye steak. If ask for a single bone before the length of the rib bone is cut down, you get a tomahawk steak cut. All comes from the same primal.

The definition below about the "prime grade beef" really is a story from early American restaurants serving this cut AFTER the USDA came up with the beef grading system.

Steak cuts at this stage (raw from the butcher) is defined as slices of the meat from the primal or its components up to 3 inches (or thereabouts). While many people understand the colloquial term "prime rib" at this stage, it is not the traditional term. When you go to the butcher at this stage, you ask for a standing rib roast and ask for the different grades available (it may not be graded as USDA grading is not mandatory). The butcher may have local sources that produce high quality well marbled beef that don't go through the USDA inspection for grading. So the term prime rib (roast) is really traditionally defined specifically for a standing rib roast made from prime grade beef.

The different grades of USDA beef usually for sale are select, choice and prime. You can get a prime grade standing rib roast or a choice grade standing rib roast.

You then roast this standing rib roast in the oven. Many people call the finished roast prime rib, but traditionally only prime grade standing rib roast should be called prime rib roast. Heck many restaurants call their choice grade standing rib roast (or even select grade) "prime rib" as it has become a common term for standing rib roasts.

Now when you go to the restaurant, and ask for a ribeye steak, you will typically be served a steak cut from the same primal, same cut, but in the raw form is already cut as steaks, not roasts. You can also be served sliced cuts from the standing rib roast that will then be seared on the surfaces.

When you ask for a prime rib meal, they cut slices off the standing rib roast and serve it to you unseared.

So... No, technically a prime rib isn't a steak cut. But a prime rib meal or dish is a slice off the prime grade standing rib roast. A standing rib roast when cut relatively thinly (in raw form) is a ribeye steak cut.

As a finished dish, a ribeye steak and a slice of a standing rib roast that is then seared on both sides are indistinguishable from each other. A ribeye steak and a slice of a standing rib roast (typically called a prime rib meal although it should only be so if the standing rib roast is from prime grade beef) is only different in that the slice of standing rib roast shows the medium/medium rare cut surfaces of the standing rib roast.

In short, prime rib has become a colloquial term that only confuses the matter. To even confuse the matter even more, there is another school if thought that "prime rib" refers to the first cut (hind end) of the rib primal because of the tenderness and less connective tissue and therefore the "prime" part of the primal.

I did read this (https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-filet-mignon-impossible-choice/) and this ( https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-vs-ribeye/ ). I quoted three lines from the second link attached in this post. So yes, I did read more than 'one line'.

We're defining cuts of meat, not arguing about methods of cooking said cuts. By definition, a prime rib is a form of steak and it is even referred to as such according to multiple sources. Everywhere I look, both prime ribs and ribeyes are described as 'steak cuts'. Still not a controversial statement... Prime ribs are 'steak cuts'... but you put them in the oven...
Steak cuts in raw beef form really is "thinly cut" slices from the primal cuts or roasts. You won't get a prime rib steak cut from the butcher, you will get a ribeye steak slice.

As a finished, cooked product you may have a ribeye steak, or a prime rib meal (a thinly sliced piece of beef from a cooked standing rib roast out on a plate served with au jus). Both are the same piece of meat. You can also take the slice from the standing rib roast, sear both sides and call it a rib eye steak.

But by definition, a prime rib is not a steak cut at the butcher. If any supermarkets call its ribeye steak cuts "prime rib" cuts then it is definitely a misnomer.

See my longer description in another post.

From your own source: https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/how-to-cook-rib-roast/

"The rib roast comes from the same spot of the cow that a ribeye does, right in the rib area. The ribeye actually comes from the prime rib section before it’s cooked. The full prime rib cut, then, is what turns into a rib roast."

"When looking for a roast to bring home from the grocery store, butcher, or online meat supplier, you might see different variations of roasts: prime rib roast, ribeye roast, standing rib roast, and beef roast, for example. What’s the difference between all these different roasts?

In some cases, there won’t be much of a difference. Some places just call roasts by different names than others even though they’re the same meat cuts.

A prime rib roast is also known as a standing rib roast. This cut comes from the primal rib section of a cow and usually includes seven or eight ribs.

The ribeye roast also comes from this same area but usually includes a different section of ribs that’s fattier and less muscle-filled than the standing rib roast."

So even from the same institutional source (Chicago steak company), the article you chose to read differs in definition than the one I quoted above.

Wow im learning about meat through this thread.
For me a prime rib always meant it was sliced straight away from a roast and because of that only specialized restaurants (which there is not in jakarta now) and hotel buffets would be able to offer it as its either too big or too much waste for a normal steakhouse. I agree with the earlier comment that a hotel buffet is the best chance of getting this.

The word Prime is pretty much a misnomer. US Meat graded Prime is less than 1% of graded beef. Pretty much all goes to the very high end restaurants who can recover the high price due to spending so much time in the feed lot to produce. There are some ungraded cuts equal to graded Prime but still, very high priced. Better restaurants normally go with a Choice grade but some will go even lower.

If in the US, may I suggest going to the butcher and ordering a standing rib roast. You want to request an OP 109. 7 Ribs from 6 to 12th. The cap muscle that lies under the fat cap is removed and the fat cap placed back on. Short ribs, back strap, and blade bones are removed. Roast it then tied. This is the standard cut in any grade for Restaurants that specialize in Standing Rib Roast. Sometimes a butcher will cut the bones loose and tie back on so you have a boneless standing rib roast and a nice rack of beef ribs when finished. This would be a OP 110

It would be far more interesting if the topic was Chateaubriand. Is it a roast as the French refer to it because of how it is prepared or is it a Steak how the Italians see it because of how they feel it should be prepared.

It has 2 names. French being Chateaubriand and Italian being Delmonico. The exact same cut of beef can be used for both or they can use other cuts which are interchangeable. Can be taken from the center of the tenderloin or center of the short loin for either. French roast it, Italians grill and baste in butter or braise in butter. Restaurants like to call them Chateaubriand but they prepare them more in the Italian style. You can charge more for a Chateaubriand than you can for a Delmonico steak even though the exact same cut of meat.

My preference is grilled served with Hollandaise sauce.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back