Passport expiring & embassy not processing them either

beebop

So im in a bit of a pickle here. My passport expires in october of this year & my embassy says theyre not making new passports during the pandemic, and theres a huge backlog of applications that even once home affairs reopens, my application can take well over a year to process!
Im currently on a wife sponsored kitap which will expire in 2022. Now my question is... If my kitap is valid, but the passport is expired, what does that mean for me?
Maybe now i also want to ask how to become WNI. Maybe i can just become an indonesian citizen

Is your passport from Bangladesh? Armenia? Germany?
Perhaps more info would help?

And not to be the arsehole here but you only just noticed NOW that your passport expires in 3 months?
You know most countries don't even let you in with less than 6 months.

Bit late to notice it now. But you should at least start.

I renewed my UK passport and got the new one back 2 weeks ago
Apart from the 3 month office closure it took less than 10 days from start to finish

I am from south africa. Ive been in and out of indo since 2009. I have accumilated around 10 years of living in indonesia.. back in 2010 when i made a new passport in my embassy in jakarta, i applied 3 months before it expired, & they also let me have a temporary passport while the main one got processed. No big deal, so i thought i can just do the same this time around, but the pandemic came along.

What about emergency passport? Where's your consulate? Because VFS is open here again if that's who you use?

These days you keep your original and only when you collect the new one do they crop the corners

So apply anyway. These days it's all online and fast

Can't believe it takes a year??!!

These days you keep your original and only when you collect the new one do they crop the corners

So apply anyway. These days it's all online and fast

Can't believe it takes a year??!!
Many countries do it differently. I always have to send in or hand over my passport when renewing.

@snpark, i spoke to the consulate. He said they dont do emergency or temporary passports anymore. They only do the std passports, of which those too are not being done during the pandemic

Maybe now i also want to ask how to become WNI. Maybe i can just become an indonesian citizen

I can't imagine getting Indonesian citizenship without a passport and still valid for six months. Perhaps you need an expert lawyer to help with Indonesian system.

Of course it is undesirable to be in a foreign country without a current passport, but is there a specific problem you face? If your KITAP is good until 2022 you will have a new passport before that time for renewal. I think any authority in Indonesia needing to see your passport will be understanding in the process, and perhaps your embassy can give you a letter to keep with your old passport stating that the renewal is in-process but delayed because of pandemic. If you had any international travel plans in the next year, they should likely be reconsidered, both for your passport reasons and all the other unexpected circumstances with the pandemic.

If you have been in and out of Indonesia like you said, you probably would nit qualify for citizenship. I think you have to stay here 5 years without leaving.

Of course it is undesirable to be in a foreign country without a current passport, but is there a specific problem you face? If your KITAP is good until 2022 you will have a new passport before that time for renewal. I think any authority in Indonesia needing to see your passport will be understanding in the process, and perhaps your embassy can give you a letter to keep with your old passport stating that the renewal is in-process but delayed because of pandemic. If you had any international travel plans in the next year, they should likely be reconsidered, both for your passport reasons and all the other unexpected circumstances with the pandemic.

The thing is, they are not processing any passports now, and theres a huge backlog of applications. They said that once the lockdown restrictions are lifted & they start processing passports again, it may take over a year before i receive it. That will be awefully close to the kitap expirey date, and could possibly even overlap in a worse come to worse situation. Nerve wrecking stuff

If you have been in and out of Indonesia like you said, you probably would nit qualify for citizenship. I think you have to stay here 5 years without leaving.
I left indo twice in the last eleven years. First time was only for a month, using a reentry permit. The second time was a year. I had closed my then kitap to exit because i originally planned to be out for several years, but it ended up being eleven months. I then reentered indo and got a new kitap made.
So ive accumulated 10 years in indonesia which fufulls the requirement to get WNI. I was with immigration this morning discussing about becoming WNI, and they admitted they knew very little about it but said they were going to try to help find out the procedure. They went through my history and confirmed that i have spent ten years worth in indonesia and said that i should be eligable for gaining WNI status.

So im in a bit of a pickle here. My passport expires in october of this year & my embassy says theyre not making new passports during the pandemic, and theres a huge backlog of applications that even once home affairs reopens, my application can take well over a year to process!
Im currently on a wife sponsored kitap which will expire in 2022. Now my question is... If my kitap is valid, but the passport is expired, what does that mean for me?
I cant help much but i have a question:
why do you have to wait until the expire date before you planning to renew your passport?.

You should’ve done it early this year!
Hellooo.. where have you been??🤔
Sorry for being b!$?;

Mod note: I have moved a number of off-topic posts to their own thread. @centurion please be mindful of not derailing topics, especially in the law section where we have a strict off-topic policy.

@everyone: Woulda, shoulda, coulda can be rubbed in the OP's face ad infinitum but that's not really helpful to the topic at hand. I would suggest sticking to practical solutions and brainstorming instead. Thank you.

In which case the advice is "apply immediately for a new passport"
And don't leave the country until you get it

And in 2029 apply for the new one again before it expires in 2030

Fortunately Indonesia is not a jail, you can go in and out without impairing your chances to become an Indonesian citizenship.
To be able to apply for Indonesian citizen one of the conditions is to have been a resident (meaning not having done an EPO) for at least 5 full years. If you do not have 5 full uninterrupted residency years then you need to have cumulated at least 10 years of residency.

Ex: you had an ITAS issued followed by two extension and a conversion to an ITAP at the end of the second extension. After at least two full years in your ITAP you qualify, even though you went back home to see your sick mom on year two, went on vacation to Zimbabwe on year 3 and did multiple shopping trip in Singapore since your first ITAS was issued.

Now if you had an ITAS issued, followed by three extension and an EPO at the end of it before coming back for a new job, having a new ITAS and a couple of extension you still do not qualify because the EPO has occured before the five full years of residency.

Any stay with a VoA or any other izin kunjungan doesn't count as residency. Only ITAS and ITAP qualify.

I was with immigration this morning discussing about becoming WNI, and they admitted they knew very little about it but said they were going to try to help find out the procedure.
Imigrasi has little to do with citizenship, save for the fact that they will issue the SKIM. Citizenship affairs are directly handled by the Ministry of Justice and its representant in the provinces, the kantor Wilavah. In your case (married to an Indonesian) all the procedure should be done online.
There are a couple of threads on this forum on the topic of acquiring citizenship.
One of them (epic) is here: https://www.expatindo.org/community/threads/how-to-obtain-indonesian-citizenship.4104/

Thanks mods for editing out the negative posts. So i need advice now. Im aware my situation is very bad. I was finally able to apply for a passport at the south african embassy, however they also told me that my application will not be sent out for processing until restrictions are lifted. To make matters even worse, they told me that the backlog was huge and it will take over a year to process compounded ontop of the time it takes to wait for restrictions to be lifted. So they did tell me that they can issue me with an emergency travel document which will allow one flight out to get to my home country. I need to know something first before i go this route? My kitap is valid until mid 2022, so can i stay in indo until then with the hope that my passport will be ready by that time, and if its not, then i can go to my embassy to get the emergency travel document to get out.. or does the kitap become void if my passport has expired? Theres still no flights into my country now anyway, so im really confused. What else i can say is i dont really have anything to return to in my home country, so im really trying to find ways i can hold out here as long as possible.
I also looked into becoming WNI but i did see a requirement that the passport needs to be valid during the process. Is there anyway maybe a lawyer could do to get that one detail overlooked? Other than this one requirement, i looked through the procedure of becoming WNI and i do have all the requirements.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back