Pasar Tebet Barat

Fred

I may have to spend a night or two in Jakarta once or twice a month so I though a simple room would be much cheaper than a hotel.
I'd be considering somewhere around Pasar Tebet Barat, probably in the Rp500,000 per month range but I could stretch as far as a million if pushed. All I need is one room and a bathroom.
Does anyone stay in such a place?

I think you would find it very difficult to find a kos for as little as 500rb a month in that area, and if you did it would just be so shockingly awful

On the other hand, considering you only need to stay one or 2 times a night, you can get hotel rooms in that area for around 300-400rb a night which would be a better idea I think, even for a man on a Yorkshire budget

I think you would find it very difficult to find a kos for as little as 500rb a month in that area, and if you did it would just be so shockingly awful

On the other hand, considering you only need to stay one or 2 times a night, you can get hotel rooms in that area for around 300-400rb a night which would be a better idea I think, even for a man on a Yorkshire budget

I have been told by many ladies from Yorkshire that Yorkshire men are so tight that even the fleas on a dogs back won’t bite them

I pay less than 1.6/month for an almost new 4+1, 4 bathrooms, with security and sampah collection tossed in for free so I should be able to find something not too expensive.
I'll just add a mattress and a fan into the place and call it right.
I see it this way, less than rich people living in Jakarta can't afford the stupid prices we see advertised all over the internet, so such places must be around.

It isn't tight not to waste money, just sensible.

Just got my timetable for June, that meaning I have to stay over at least 6 times, thus the hotel would be expensive.

I pay less than 1.6/month for an almost new 4+1, 4 bathrooms, with security and sampah collection tossed in for free so I should be able to find something not too expensive.
I'll just add a mattress and a fan into the place and call it right.
I see it this way, less than rich people living in Jakarta can't afford the stupid prices we see advertised all over the internet, so such places must be around.

It isn't tight not to waste money, just sensible.

Yeh but thats not in Pasar Tebet Barat is it??

You asked, you got the answer, so don't be snide.
Jakarta city is expensive, even for kos, why do you think all these office staff prefer to suffer 2 hours in trains, buses, ojeks etc every day to stay in Depok, Bekasi etc instead of staying in the city

Tebet is actually quite an expensive area. Maybe some kos around the slums of Kalibata might suit you, but from what I heard and seen, even a basic room with a shared bathroom will cost you over 1jt a month

If you ask for advice please don't snap back at those that offer it

Peace

There are some cheap hotels/ guesthouses in Jakarta - on booking.com I just found RedDoorz Plus in Tebet for about 200,000 for a night.

There are some cheap hotels/ guesthouses in Jakarta - on booking.com I just found RedDoorz Plus in Tebet for about 200,000 for a night.

That will still be too much for Fred's budget if he wants to stay 6 nights a month, plus don't forget tax etc etc

The site looks good though, very clean and tidy rooms, wonder if they still look like that in real life nowadays?

I see it this way ..
A girl working in a chain store is likely to be on 2 million, thus she can't afford 2 million rent plus expenses, therefore there must be cheap places floating around.
As many of these don't advertise on the net I was forced to go wandering, finding a few place that were easily adequate for the job but at around a million.

I see it this way ..
A girl working in a chain store is likely to be on 2 million, thus she can't afford 2 million rent plus expenses, therefore there must be cheap places floating around.
As many of these don't advertise on the net I was forced to go wandering, finding a few place that were easily adequate for the job but at around a million.

They should be on 3.6 a month, being minimum salary and all, plus commissions sometimes.

That said, yes there are probably many people on less, living in illegal slums and boardinghouses around the city with barely a mattress to sleep on, sometimes 4 or more to a room (ideal for those working 12 hour day/night shifts, just find someone with the opposite shift and you got the place to yourself. Good luck, hope your inoculations are up to date.

Try couch surfing, its free.

Again, not in Tebet Barat. You'll have to go farther out. And yes, the way to find those places is to hire an ojek for a few hours and just drive around. Stop at the ones advertising and ask how much.

I see it this way ..

Like I said before, because of the low salary / "high" rents, these are the staff that all live in distant kampungs or with family still and spend hours travelling to and from work every day via train from Depok etc then the little mini bus thing then finally gojek and then walking to the mall, etc etc
Some of these staff that work in the malls that open at 10 have to still be there by 8.30 which means they usually already left and otw to work around 6 or 6.30.
Imagine that 2 ways every day and then add in the rain, traffic, stress, tiredness, dirt etc

I know of several girls who have had accidents by literally falling asleep on the back of an ojek, falling off and getting run over by the car behind

Anyway good luck with the room search

The cheapest I know of are in Kemayoran. Ranging from 800 ribu a month for a non-AC room and 1.2 juta a month for an AC room. With both you'd have a share a bathroom. A friend of my wife used to live in one.

If you found a packet of corn plasters would you buy your shoes a size too small ??

Tebet by no means is 'cheap' area; for locals is often seen as some sort of desirable place (yes, even though some corners look less fancy) so renting a room is not gonna be too cheap.

If you end up coming to Tebet, welcome (I live in North Tebet) - is great place with local life and still very near to neon lights of Kuningan area, Kemang not so far either if bule overdose needed.

PS The Lady of The House said that office boys of her office (in Tebet) are renting very basic rooms (fan + mattress) for around 600.000 / month and I am pretty sure is the lowest anybody could get (price for a local one).

Last edited:
IMG_20180525_172834.JPG

I saw this and thought of you :D

If you can get a POP! or so for $20-25 per night, incl WiFi, breakfast and aircon, I don’t reckon a kos(t) would be ‘much cheaper’.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging
Back