New customs regulation, only 5kg of processed food allowed per person?

Oh, I thought these travelers were checked at the airport ...
The first one about the shoes was a package. Most the Bea Cukai cost was a penalty/fine for lying on the customs form about the value of the contents. I do wonder whether the shipper or the recipient provided that number, I have certainly had shippers write lesser, false amounts on the declaration they provide without ever consulting me.

The second one in that video was a lady stopped at the airport, but she was carrying about 3 kg of gold, which would be valued at about 3 billion IDR (200k USD).

I have never shipped a package abroad in the US or Europe where the logistics company or postal services checked the contents, nor did they allow the ‘value’ on the customs declaration form to be empty. And many web shops and even eBay members mention they will not lie on customs declarations. Whether the sender was a friend or family member or shop …. 🤷🏼

The system with the Pos Indonesia is not so bad; they require the package which will be shipped abroad to be open(ed) and will even contact customs.

The system with the Pos Indonesia is not so bad; they require the package which will be shipped abroad to be open(ed) and will even contact customs.
I sent some packages to Holland using Pos Indonesia (by airplane). One has to provide the original bills of the content. Otherwise one can not send. Also the reciever had to pay import tax in Holland.

Last edited:
The first one about the shoes was a package. Most the Bea Cukai cost was a penalty/fine for lying on the customs form about the value of the contents. I do wonder whether the shipper or the recipient provided that number, I have certainly had shippers write lesser, false amounts on the declaration they provide without ever consulting me.

The second one in that video was a lady stopped at the airport, but she was carrying about 3 kg of gold, which would be valued at about 3 billion IDR (200k USD).
Speaking of gold. I heard someone (Orang Indonesia) complain that one has to pay 35% tax when one sells the gold. Real?

Last edited:
Speaking of gold. I heard someone (Orang Indonesia) complain that one has to pay 35% tax when one sells the gold. Real?

Tax on what? The profit? Capital gains? How to know, most of the gold sellers I know you just take in your gold coin or ingot or logam mulia 10g etc and they check it, weigh it and give you money, maybe take your ID copy but no one ever ask what you paid for it, what if I have 5 bars and I bought them 5 different prices?
Maybe for futures options etc ?

Tax on what? The profit? Capital gains? How to know, most of the gold sellers I know you just take in your gold coin or ingot or logam mulia 10g etc and they check it, weigh it and give you money, maybe take your ID copy but no one ever ask what you paid for it, what if I have 5 bars and I bought them 5 different prices?
Maybe for futures options etc ?
Yes, good question. One needs to know the capital gain. Must be talking about ETF then, not the physical gold.

It seems the new regulation regarding the types and amount of restricted carried items will be reformulated after the public outcry. It is available in here

"Meanwhile, international aircraft passengers (non-migrant workers) are no longer bound by the regulations stipulated in the 2023 Trade Minister Regulation. However, Trade Minister Zulkifli Hasan said that the Finance Ministry will formulate a new regulation regarding the types and amount of restricted carried items.

Furthermore, the government will try not to impose restricted importations, and such restrictions would only apply to goods affecting domestic industries."

It is also available in the Jakarta Post.

Last edited:
Yeh that still means nothing
Import your Gucci shoes and don't buy Bata
Lol

It seems the new regulation regarding the types and amount of restricted carried items will be reformulated after the public outcry. It is avilblae in here
Jakarat Globe….It is also available in the Jakarta Post.

Just like the Jakarta Post you‘re a bit late…

IMG_4216.jpeg

🛃

So now it seems the whole thing is off the table. Under the motto “let’s think about this some more”.
Never depend on that English press over here…you always have a one week delay

It seems the new regulation regarding the types and amount of restricted carried items will be reformulated after the public outcry. It is available in here

"Meanwhile, international aircraft passengers (non-migrant workers) are no longer bound by the regulations stipulated in the 2023 Trade Minister Regulation. However, Trade Minister Zulkifli Hasan said that the Finance Ministry will formulate a new regulation regarding the types and amount of restricted carried items.

Furthermore, the government will try not to impose restricted importations, and such restrictions would only apply to goods affecting domestic industries."

It is also available in the Jakarta Post.

If such an incident happened in developed countries, both the Trade Minister Zulkifli Hasan and the Sukarno Hatta Airport Authority would be held accountable and likely forced to resign. This is also another example showing why so many individuals want to work as civil servants in Indonesia, as it essentially job for life.

His previous statement : misleading people thinking that all of Indonesian people are stupid

"Begini, kita ini kalau sama bangsa sendiri itu terus lebay gitu loh. Coba kalau kamu pergi ke mana Australia, Eropa, coba masuk bandara, sepatu aja dicopot. Celana diurek-urek , apalagi cuma tas. Ya wajar kalau Bea Cukai meriksa itu kan wajar, apalagi kalau dicurigai, ya dia periksa, dia buka koper orang. Itu kan hal biasa aja, kenapa mesti ribut," kata dia, Kamis (28/3/2024).

"Look, for our own nation, we are always so stupid. If you go to Australia or Europe, try entering the airport, you will see your shoes are taken off, your trousers will be rummaged, not just your bag. Yes, it's normal for the customs to check that, right? It's normal, especially if you suspect it, so they check it, they open people's suitcases. It's just a normal thing, why make a fuss," he said, Thursday (28/3/ 2024)

Have any regular travellers to Australia or Europe observed this? Are they implementing this for security reasons or to generate revenue from domestic duties?

They are looking on at the wrong end of the stick, instead of conducting a thorough investigation into all the taxes, including many that have mysteriously disappeared, involving this individual from custom and revenue office

How many luxurious cars, Big Motor bikes in Jakarta ?? How much money the country has lost from the distributors, the owner of luxurious cars, Big Motor bikes who do not pay tax on vehicles ??

Last edited:
It seems the guy doesn’t understand the difference between Immigration (border management) and Customs (taxation & fiscal affairs).

Oops, 2 years again. Slander!

It seems the guy doesn’t understand the difference between Immigration (border management) and Customs (taxation & fiscal affairs).

Oops, 2 years again. Slander!
I think the guy must watch those Boarder Security shows and thinks the one in thousands of arrivals you see on the show represents all the arrivals at whatever entry port.

….that was a shipment via DHL (which is more Catholic than the pope). Secondly, they lied on the declaration form with the value; they wrote down 500K instead of 5 juta or so.

The whole case takes an interesting turn. Now the minister of finance (!) came out with a statement that DHL made a mistake and they they would pay the fine.

Originally Czech of course, they have—as many shoe and textile companies- quite a lot of production in South East Asia but I think it’s not in Indian hands and the Bata family is still a major player. I wonder if it’s a coincidence you often see the Scholl brand in the same shops? As far as I know a completely different owner.

Originally Czech of course, they have—as many shoe and textile companies- quite a lot of production in South East Asia but I think it’s not in Indian hands and the Bata family is still a major player. I wonder if it’s a coincidence you often see the Scholl brand in the same shops? As far as I know a completely different owner.
There used to be a huge Bat'a factory located where Plaza Kalibata and the Kalibata apartment blocks now are. This was 50+ years ago.
In fact some people thought that Kalibata is so-called because of the Bat'a factory which was the first big business there [although it probably just means stone river, which is a bit of a more boring explanation for the name]

Yeah, they started there in 1938 with the shoe factory. With an original plan of producing 4.000 per week, starting with 250 employees.

IMG_4225.jpeg

Nothing compared to Calcutta where they employed 3.000 workers and produced 180.000 shoes. Per week.

👞

Yeah, they started there in 1938 with the shoe factory. With an original plan of producing 4.000 per week, starting with 250 employees.

View attachment 3982

Nothing compared to Calcutta where they employed 3.000 workers and produced 180.000 shoes. Per week.

👞
Production methods must have significantly improved. The Indonesian employees were producing 16 pair of shoes a week. In Calcutta it became 60 pair of shoes per week per employee. Or was it one of those sweat shops where employees were locked in 7 days a week and working 14 hour days?

Last edited:

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Essex
Back