Nasi

nosox

Charter Member
Cager
after almost 7 years here my tongue and body are rejecting nasi......... just about can't handle it any more

We are Indonesian but my daughter is avoiding nasi except occasionally nasi padang. When pulang kampung she has no problem to get wholemeal home bake bread, home baked granola and other her favorite diet such as oat, Chia seed, quinoa, flax seed - not cheap though.
Fruits, potato and sweet potato are easy to get.
So what's the problem ?

Honestly the simple boiled rice is boring ,without good sauces here for my taste , the way they cook rice in somalia and in some parts of italy ,cracking the rice with olive oil flavoured with chile garlic and cipola , with a goat stock only added later, finished with safron ,.hmmm !

Of course there's lot of variations of rice based meals including nasi goreng (hundred variations), nasi kuning, nasi lemak and rice cakes such as lontong, ketupat, arem2, bacang, nasi bakar (grilled rice) etc.

Yeah i'm the same cant stand plain rice at all not even a little, have always been that way, if i cant mix something into it I dont eat it the wife doesn't understand as she's completely the opposite... My Step daughter is more like me which irritates the wife :lol:

I'm on a low carb diet, so I can't eat rice... and I loooooove rice.

You're not supposed to eat it plain tho, think of the plain rice as a blank canvas, and the meats and sauces as a color palette.

Just like in the east of the Archipelago, it is rather simple to replace the rice with Taro, Yam, Cassava and the likes. Those roots and turnips are cheap over here compared to Europe for instance, can be substitutes for rice (and potatoes!) and are rather tasteful. Healthy is something different.

no trouble finding alternatives, just wanted to complain................. :)

Honestly, I think regular consumption of rice is unhealthy. I think white rice is hell on your pancreas. Not that any Indonesians would listen to me. Indonesia has a serious diabetes problem even though its obesity problem pales in comparison to western countries. 6% of all deaths are diabetes related.

Does anyone know someone that had to cut out rice or was diagnosed with pre-diabetes?

Honestly, I think regular consumption of rice is unhealthy. I think white rice is hell on your pancreas. Not that any Indonesians would listen to me. Indonesia has a serious diabetes problem even though its obesity problem pales in comparison to western countries. 6% of all deaths are diabetes related.

Does anyone know someone that had to cut out rice or was diagnosed with pre-diabetes?

Obesity problem is not only in Indonesia. In fact Indonesia not in the list of 25 most obese country in the world.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-obese-countries/

We reduce rice consumption more than 50%, my daughters almost 100% non rice.

Honestly, I think regular consumption of rice is unhealthy. I think white rice is hell on your pancreas.

I think a big potential hazard is the bleeching of the white rice. Which seems to occur very often...

I hear you on the diabetic issue but that shouldn't be strange in a country where really everything is sugared (whether it's with ketjap manis or ....)

After being diagnosed as a Type 2 last year....I switched to nasi merah, but after a while, I lost weight and cranky all the time...I don't mind eating less rice, but that nasi merah was just too damn dry even compared to basmati or US long grain rice. Wife's friend suggested beras coklat...significant improvement...so now I mix them both to still get the fiber from nasi merah but the body from the beras coklat. Experimented making nasi goreng out of them...almost as good as the real thing. Have been nasi putih free for eight months!

I missed this post when I posted earlier. I became overweight when in the US..I thought moving to Indonesia I would lose all the weight. It was the opposite. Too stressed and depressed to do anything...and tough to find healthy eating option. Thank goodness it has changed a lot since then. I was sick a lot, and back in 2014 I was gently warned by the doc (during my medical check up) that my blood sugar was getting up there (borderline)...fast forward to 2018 after four years of just stress eating...lots of martabak manis, all the good Indonesian desserts...following my UGD trip, I took a blood test the next day. A1C was 10.8. Thank goodness I'm pretty determined to control my diabetes...started out still eating white rice but strict portion control (7 tbs for lunch, and 7 for dinner)...after a couple months...5 tbs each..and later on switched to beras merah/beras coklat. (p.s i am not even sure what beras merah is in English...). .my doc was impressed with my discipline and lowered my meds three times..now down to only two metformins a day. January 2019 my A1C was 5.5, up a bit from November it was 5.3. I'm supposed to know my latest result from my check up in a day or two...but tracking my A1C using my excel at home...if my calculation is correct, I hope to be around 5.2-5.3 again. I check my glucose twice a day (morning and dinner).

Many people here are still quite uninformed when it comes to diabetes..and don't get me started on not wanting to listen..so many ignorant comments (either from family, friends, coworkers, etc)...from "Oh diabetes ya? don't drink sugar you'll be fine". "You're eating only that much rice? Aren't you starving yourself?" I got so much flack for losing weight (about 15 kgs lost total in 6 months i admit some of it stress related but I maintain it now). BMI down to 24.5 although still a bit high but doctor gave me an 'ok'.

Thank goodness for online stores and a couple health stores here and there...managed to get me some almond flour, psyllium husks, etc to get me baking some low carb cakes..

I don't mind eating less rice, but that nasi merah was just too damn dry

Soaking that red rice for more than 6 hours before cooking really helps. But I still don't like the texture.

I've lived in countries and areas where the only rice they sold was minute rice from Uncle Ben's or so in small plastic bags. Nobody had a rice cooker at home. I didn't care so much being raised on potatoes and pasta, but someone in my household demanded a prominent space in the suitcase every time.

Have you tried beras coklat? I mixed it with the red rice, the combination improved the texture a lot. Since I also made quite a bit.enough for about 4-5 days worth, i hope the resistant starch makes it even more diabetic friendly too.

I missed this post when I posted earlier. I became overweight when in the US..I thought moving to Indonesia I would lose all the weight. It was the opposite. Too stressed and depressed to do anything...and tough to find healthy eating option. Thank goodness it has changed a lot since then. I was sick a lot, and back in 2014 I was gently warned by the doc (during my medical check up) that my blood sugar was getting up there (borderline)...fast forward to 2018 after four years of just stress eating...lots of martabak manis, all the good Indonesian desserts...following my UGD trip, I took a blood test the next day. A1C was 10.8. Thank goodness I'm pretty determined to control my diabetes...started out still eating white rice but strict portion control (7 tbs for lunch, and 7 for dinner)...after a couple months...5 tbs each..and later on switched to beras merah/beras coklat. (p.s i am not even sure what beras merah is in English...). .my doc was impressed with my discipline and lowered my meds three times..now down to only two metformins a day. January 2019 my A1C was 5.5, up a bit from November it was 5.3. I'm supposed to know my latest result from my check up in a day or two...but tracking my A1C using my excel at home...if my calculation is correct, I hope to be around 5.2-5.3 again. I check my glucose twice a day (morning and dinner).

Many people here are still quite uninformed when it comes to diabetes..and don't get me started on not wanting to listen..so many ignorant comments (either from family, friends, coworkers, etc)...from "Oh diabetes ya? don't drink sugar you'll be fine". "You're eating only that much rice? Aren't you starving yourself?" I got so much flack for losing weight (about 15 kgs lost total in 6 months i admit some of it stress related but I maintain it now). BMI down to 24.5 although still a bit high but doctor gave me an 'ok'.

Thank goodness for online stores and a couple health stores here and there...managed to get me some almond flour, psyllium husks, etc to get me baking some low carb cakes..
Congratulations on getting your blood sugar under control!
White rice is a really bad staple food - micronutrient deficiencies are widespread in most countries consuming high levels of rice and no fortification is performed in Indonesia (due to the local production practices it makes it really difficult). I think the best option is to avoid white rice as much as possible, replace with red rice if you can (luckily I like the texture and flavor of it).
I wont miss the rice here when I leave!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819