Moving to Indonesia as foreign employed “contractor”

I'm surprised a DJ hasn't taken the stage name of DJ Akarta. Then again, they're not known to have cool names. Yazz Illi, Gong, Izo, Milinka Radisik doesn't really roll off the tongue. But hey, what do I know? They seem to get plenty of gigs :noidea:
Usually names in Jakarta (Indonesia?) follows the trend....like restaurants. One restaurant starts with "Dapur..." before you know it there are a few clones popping up. Same with D'...(D'Crepes...D'Steak...D'whatever..), etc.

To be honest this bit was what irked me:
"allow me to afford a stay at home wife because I am a Muslim"

Women are people too- humans, with thoughts & brains and much more in their lives than sitting in a house waiting to serve their bloke who perceives himself to be the lord & master- just because he has a d*ck &a bit more testosterone.
The difference between stereotype notions & actual real life may shock some when faced with it.
Utterly ridiculous. When I was a wee lad, seeking spiritual enlightenment, I went to a few Rastafarian meetings. Yeah I won't deny it, I liked their practice of using marijuana as a holy sacrament. I was young, and mourning the tragic loss of a friend. I needed some semblance of peace - and thought I found it, in this congregation of like-minded people.

What I started to notice after a while was the blatant sexism. Women were required to cover their heads (well, their dreadlocks), and wear long skirts down to their ankles. They also didn't shave their legs or armpits. Why are these male religious leaders so threatened by a woman's sexuality? I didn't ask, because I knew I'd get a bunch of arbitrary quotes from the Bible.

This was just the tip of the iceberg, All in all, I could not accept that some Emperor of Ethiopia is not only a prophet, but looked upon as the second coming of Jesus.

I’m trying to gather some more intel here. I want to remain foreign employed (making USD... cuz then I’ll be LOADED) as a “digital nomad” but essentially drop the nomad part (Yes I know right now the country is locked down hopefully I’ll be ready to make the move in six months). I understand that I will have to make a “border run” every two months so my visa doesn’t expire (I suppose inevitably I’ll get nikkah eventually which will solve that issue). Are there any other major issues I’ll run into?

Also, how does someone who isn’t a citizen get a car? I just learned foreigners can not buy a car... can a foreigner lease a car or motorcycle? Aka... how am I suppose to go food shopping without a taxi?

Thanks for replies
Salam brother,

So, I understand a lot of what you meant to say. Feel free to DM me so as to avoid a lot of static from the group.

Peace

Utterly ridiculous. When I was a wee lad, seeking spiritual enlightenment, I went to a few Rastafarian meetings. Yeah I won't deny it, I liked their practice of using marijuana as a holy sacrament. I was young, and mourning the tragic loss of a friend. I needed some semblance of peace - and thought I found it, in this congregation of like-minded people.

What I started to notice after a while was the blatant sexism. Women were required to cover their heads (well, their dreadlocks), and wear long skirts down to their ankles. They also didn't shave their legs or armpits. Why are these male religious leaders so threatened by a woman's sexuality? I didn't ask, because I knew I'd get a bunch of arbitrary quotes from the Bible.

This was just the tip of the iceberg, All in all, I could not accept that some Emperor of Ethiopia is not only a prophet, but looked upon as the second coming of Jesus.
Stop smoking that stuff !

Not the cheap stuff though.
Shittiest high ever. So many of my friends back home think wow "Indo"-nesia, the stuff must be incredible there. Indo is short for indica, dumbos. We definitely can't take credit for that one.

Let the Hunger Games begin!

In the meantime, in neighboring Thailand....

Like in Pol Pot's Cambogia, everybody who looks nerdy and has glasses is suspicious and will go to the Gulag.

That's why I never wear a jacket and tie when I leave my apartment

It sounds like they will be raiding hotel rooms and arresting anybody who is using a laptop

Oh and by the way please help us attract high spending foreign tourists in the future so we don't have to rely on backpackers. 🤦

112 thousand foreigners in Bali? Where they hiding them?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats