Mobile App Payment Systems

It strikes me that the discounts are getting more limited by the ... eh week.

DANA for instance, limits the frequency in the supermarkets where it has a presence.

I saw an interesting documentary on the Chinese situation btw. They have a a fully integrated credit system now, they call it Sesame. Which is not the same as the governmental system (with face recognition etc.).

Banks don't have a centralized database on credit scores and (bad) loans etc. so it becomes rather popular, also for financial institutions. AliPay is fully integrated and provides input for the system.

That Sesame gives you a score between 350 and 950. With a high score you get a lot of perks and even more discounts, and even access in dating apps to others with a similar status ?

Also, the AliPay system (rather similar to DANA with the barcode scanning) is now used everywhere, even access to public transportation by phone. So it is an extended version of EZLink (Singapore) or Octopus (Hong Kong). And the more you use it for purchases the better your score gets.

Something else, in Jimbaran supermarkets I saw Chinese tour groups also paying with their phone apps. So even on Bali their system is available.

Lippo Group is throwing in the towel on OVO, citing huge promotional costs. All these internet companies need to figure out how to maintain sustainable customers. As of now, OVO, Gojek, Grab etc are just burning money trying to retain customers.

It's a bit of a mexican standoff situation, in that the company that stops promos first is going to lose customers to those with active promos.

I have OVO and use it very often, mainly for Tokopedia, Grabcar, restaurants. One day I ordered Grab and it only charged me Rp 1.. it didn't seem right tho, I knew the driver get full amount of money but I still gave 20k tip..i felt better. :p

Nowadays I give tips to the drivers via the system, but I'm not sure if they see that or whether it becomes one total per month or so.

Another way to make a driver happy is to top up with cash during the trip. (If possible.)

Everything almost cashless these days. Even foods from warung/warteg now accept Gopay, Many Carparks only accept online payment, no more guy sitting down in small box to process your carpark fee.

A day in the life of an e-wallet user:

At the cashier of Paperclip (office supplies etc.) with a lot of stuff. Huge advertised discount with OVO. "Sorry, the system is down."

Eating at the Vietnamese in the mall, wanting to pay with CashBac. "Sorry, we have issues and the cashier interface doesn't function."

Standing in line at HomeMade and waiting for the lady in front of me, who figures out she has to do two payments for her 4 items, to get an optimal discount. Ten minutes later she ends up paying two bread with GoPay, and two with Dana.

Leaving the mall parking and wanting to pay with BCA Flazz (the booths have a sticker). "Sorry, that doesn't work ."

I saw group of women at Miniso , sign in cashier cashback 50% with OVO Max 20thou.. 1st women made 3 payments for 3 items.. and her friends too..and its 5 of them. OMG so damn sloww

Always check your receipt when using these mobile apps. Recently, we have experienced two times that the proposed OVO discount was not given, also on the receipt there was only a much lower discount shown.
In the restaurant, they told us that they cannot change it and that we have to contact OVO. We took pictures of the advertised discount rate and receipt. One time we claimed the difference successfully, one time not (the OVO employee did not or did not want to understand the problem...and the amount was not large enough for us to waste more time :D )

I heard of some restaurant holders (/managers) that have become creative. Any cash payments get redirected to their personal OVO/whatever accounts for them to get the cashbacks in their own pockets ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819