Mobil Rakyat...new cars

Green is taken, by the Army.

There are more than a few shades of green; doesn't have to be olive drab. A bright metallic green with sparkles, such as you might see in a rainbow parade, would be fine with me.

Not in Indonesia, but in 'the west' I currently would not buy a car with traditional combustion engine anymore. Suppose you drive 5 years with your daily driver, then in 2025 it would be replaced. As of 2021 those cars will start to depreciate tremendously, and already in 2023 I expect a bigger sales for EV's (mild hybrids, full hybrids, full electric on battery and hydrogen combined) than traditional gasoline and diesel.

I am convinced that in our lifetimes we will see the day those cars are completely banned and only can be used if they have oldtimer status or on a (race) track.

How many Indonesian households still have an antiquated connection to the grid. How much surplus power does Indonesia have in their grid.
Electric cars are only a solution to a local large conurbation pollution issue they are not supposed to be to everyone.
But here goes humanity down another Y2K route.

What's "Oldtimer Status" and where would one apply for that?

Depending on the country, it is possible to register the car as oldtimer. Often the yearly tax is much lower. And often the yearly test is not necessary.

Of course there are restrictions, it needs to have a certain age (25, 30, 40 years old), you can't drive it on certain days, a max. amount of km per year, etc. etc.

Example of Germany (H number plate):
H-Kennzeichen.jpg

U.K. (Silver text on black background):
images

Belgium (O number plate):
images

The new Nissan Juke has a new platform and is 10 cm bigger and more spacious than its predecessor.

It seems there will be two engine sizes; a 1.0 and a 1.3 liter. Of course you never know, it could be a 1.4 in RI.

ddzy2lkb15cf_800.jpg

Previous model:
Juke.jpg

71zyk2xbt5fc_800.jpg

I’ve always liked that Juke.. any idea on timeframe in Indonesia?

As with the Leaf, Nissan INDONESIA seems to be dropping the ball on this one (again).

the head of communication of Nissan Indonesian stated there are no plans (yet) to introduce the new Juke.

Talking about the impact of introducing new models on sales numbers, let's look at the mid and larger sized SUV's, a very important segment for the manufacturers (rather profitable):

Based on monthly sales data from the Indonesian Automotive Industry Association (Gaikindo) on May 2019, sales of Wuling Almaz, tops the chart at 1,130 units. The Honda CR-V is in second place with sales of 750 units. The DFSK Glory 580 is in third place with 193 units.

The DFSK beats popular SUV's such as the Mazda CX-5 (174 units), the Nissan X-Trail (44 units), and Hyundai Tucson (16 units).

In April 2019, the Honda CR-V ranked the top with sales of 1,156 units. The Almaz came in second place with a sales of 610 units, followed by DFSK Glory 580 (186 units), Mazda CX-5 (156 units), Nissan X-Trail (25 units), and Hyundai Tucson (10 units).

As you can see, the modernization and facelifts do add value and increase sales, look at the CR-V versus the X-Trail. The latter is an old version while the rest of the world received a facelift quite a long time ago. Nissan doesn't seem very motivated to introduce facelifts and new models for their cars (besides their Livina). But consumers here are not crazy and rather keen on following trends.

Depending on the country, it is possible to register the car as oldtimer. Often the yearly tax is much lower. And often the yearly test is not necessary.

Of course there are restrictions, it needs to have a certain age (25, 30, 40 years old), you can't drive it on certain days, a max. amount of km per year, etc. etc.

The USA, oldtimers are usually called antiques. The restrictions are determined by state legislatures and thus vary across the country. In Iowa, the minimum is 25 years old, but I don't know that there is an annual miles restriction; could be, though.

The most appealing feature of the Juke is that the design conceals the fact that it is a 4 door rather than a 2 door sport-coupe.

Nissan Juke. Only surpassed in the ugly stakes by Honda CH-R

The Toyota C-HR. But it drives really well, very direct. The team wanted to create a 'Japanese car with European driving characteristics'. Not a bad job but it's expensive. The styling? ? Those are cars that you love or hate.

Talking about SUV, I just returned the Vauxhall Grandland X turbo D after we enjoyed it for 6 days traveling Scott highland and isle of Skye.
I think in Indonesia, Vauxhall is branded as Opel, but not sure if this model is available.

Initialy we booked from Europcar Waverly Edinburgh, Nissan Qashqhai . We were looking for a compact cross / SUV fit for traveling on narrow and zigzag roads of the Scott highland and Skye.
Since not available they replaced with similar type, ie the Grandland X.
I have to say I'm impressed with this car despite the front panel LCD screen is very basic, no parking assist camera, no navigation.
The 1.5 liter turbo Diesel engine with 6-speed manual transmission is quite responsive , delivered good power and sufficient torque. In my opinion is generally better than Jeep Compass Trailhawk (automatic transmission,) which we also drived in US trip recently.
Fuel consumption was good too, we burned 58 diesel oil for more than 1100 km journey.

The Qashqai isn't bad either; it's a somewhat smaller version of the X-Trail and one of the most popular SUV's in Europe.

But the most popular now in that segment, is probably the Peugeot 3008 which is close family of the ......... Grandland you drove.

The story with Opel/Vauxhall is a bit weird. When the brands were still under GM, they had a Korean Chevrolet as Asian counterpart. So the Chevrolets you see in Indonesia, often were related to an European Opel. Now since the PSA Group bought Opel, they disconnect more and more from the GM brands and have their new platforms shared by Opel, Peugeot, Citroën and DS. So the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa for instance, is technically similar to the Peugeot 208.

They try to promote Opel as a 'real' German brand, not French, since it always has been a direct competitor for Volkswagen. Its driving characteristics are not so soft and somewhat more direct than the French siblings.

A bit of a surprise was the statement by Dyson that their new car manufacturing facility will not be in the UK, where their test and research center is based, but in Singapore. The reason given was mainly quality of workforce but obviously Brexit and proximity to the markets 'with money' played a major role.

They will spend 2 billion GBP and expect to have the facility up and running in 2020, with a full operational production of an electric car in 2021. (No, I don't think it will look like a vacuum cleaner.) Since they don't collaborate with any car manufacturer, that amount seems a bit low but we will see.

Weird how things can go. Some years ago, we would have said Apple and Google would be the new non traditional car manufacturers.

TELEMMGLPICT000177382283_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

It seems James Dyson literally pulled the plug out of the Electric Vehicle project.

After spending 3.4 billion euro and employing 400 people, they throw in the towel. Seems to be more difficult than one might think, starting a new brand of (electric) cars. Except when you're in China of course.

The company announced they will continue research in solid state technology, but the bad news (for the company and employees) is nobody seems to be interested to take over the division and/or technology. I also think the other manufacturers already have their full R&D and testcenters in place.

A bit of news on the side that might have an impact on dealerships of Jaguar, Bentley, Land Rover, and Mazda in Indonesia.

The KPK arrested staff from the Tax Office and from PT WAE, the company behind those dealerships. Bribes were paid to the officials and their boss who were responsible for processing the tax return.

Looks like a toad with its mouth poised partially open to snag a passing fly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819