Life in Indonesia

Bali , generally a peaceful place ,we live in nusa dua , but water resources is becoming a more serious problem in the south , it is forecast to become worse , that is the main reason we are looking to move , after 9 years here it is becoming a little boring and the increasing traffic makes things a little tedious.

Bali , generally a peaceful place ,we live in nusa dua , but water resources is becoming a more serious problem in the south , it is forecast to become worse , that is the main reason we are looking to move , after 9 years here it is becoming a little boring and the increasing traffic makes things a little tedious.

I would not begin to suggest Jakarta as an option, but you might try it for a few months; then the traffic, upon your return to Nusa Dua, may not seem like much of a problem.

I would not begin to suggest Jakarta as an option, but you might try it for a few months; then the traffic, upon your return to Nusa Dua, may not seem like much of a problem.

ha ha for sure not jakarta , unless someone wants to pay me 10k usd per month for pain and suffering ha ha !

Do you have any short listed semi favourite places, that you wish to share?

Do you have any short listed semi favourite places, that you wish to share?

I have found a fairly small area which is quite promising , all I can say its in east java , decent beaches, good underground water supply , drinkable by all accounts , little traffic and decent people , still more work to do .

I have found a fairly small area which is quite promising , all I can say its in east java , decent beaches, good underground water supply , drinkable by all accounts , little traffic and decent people , still more work to do .

I hope you guys find your small slice of paradise.

Banyuwangi?or Pacitan?

Or probably better ? mountanious part of Blitar ?

We had a look at gerajagan area , but unfortunately limited facilities , but ya nice .

Yeah, three days is about it and that sometimes seems an eternity. I hate it when I need to go to Jakarta. I'm at the point where any trips there will be for needed supplies of what we can't get locally or from on-line providers. I hit Jakarta and right away the eyes start burning. Out in the air the lungs normally follow. The stench from most areas is enough to chase the rats away itself. The construction of something that seems right in the way of any forward progress is mind boggling. Traffic, well, the famous Jakarta traffic jams with a half dozen streets bottle necked into two from every direction.

I get in Jakarta and people say go to Bandung. Last time I visited there the water was flooding from the mountains blocking traffic and I didn't see much difference from Jakarta except it's at a higher elevation.
Hello
This is a very interesting to read, I realized that was written in 2016. I was wondering if there are anything on the same subject that was written recently. I am planning to explore Bali as soon as it is safe to travel again.
Thank you in advance.

We have gone over different possibilities of where to live, if we stay in Indonesia, and we have decided Bali. This is after resisting Bali on numerous occasions. Overall, more services and nature. There are quite a few options for food etc.. I know there are various places people live and are relatively happy. If Indonesia, Bali it is.

I was just wondering a few years after your post, did you move to Bali and was it a good decision then?
I am in the stage of planning my move over there.

I really appreciate any input on this subject or perhaps someone with my situation can provide some advise or guidance.

Thank you in advance.

I was just wondering a few years after your post, did you move to Bali and was it a good decision then?
I am in the stage of planning my move over there.

I really appreciate any input on this subject or perhaps someone with my situation can provide some advise or guidance.

Thank you in advance.

Our home is in Pasar Rebo in the SE fringe of Jakarta proper. Jakarta visitors tend to emphasize the negatives -- the pollution, the corruption, the flooding, the congestion, the difficulty driving anywhere quickly. Those conditions are serious problems, but most permanent residents, as we did, develop coping skills that make life in the city tolerable, even enjoyable on occasion. Jakarta is the heart of the country commercially, culturally, politically and entertainment-wise, as well as the engine of the economy. Its also more cosmopolitan, diverse, and vibrant than most of the rest of the country. I like the place not withstanding its warts.
On the other hand, during our last visit to Bali, Mt Agung was filling the air with fine irritants, watering the eyes and closing the airport for a time. But let's not dwell on the negatives or either choice of abodes.

I moved to Jakarta from Los Angeles to seek a better life during the global financial crisis of 2007. I took the leap, and came here in 2010.

Indonesia has been great, and I stayed for all the usual reasons expats settle here, but I feel the time to leave is drawing near. I have a wife and two young children now. The plan is to move to New Zealand. My wife is from there, and I just know it will suit my needs.

I need to live where personal freedoms are not encroached upon. I need to live where there's proper infrastructure, nature, and space. When I say proper infrastructure, it includes something as simple as pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and public transportation. Day-to-day life in Jakarta is becoming more and more claustrophobic. Corona virus has shown that it's something I've tolerated all these years, but now it's downright affecting my family's health. Speaking of which, healthcare and education are also growing concerns.

I want to have friends who aren't in constant competition with me, who are in reality undermining and deceitful. To think, I'm from LA and here I am complaining about social climbers! Maybe it's my fault. I shouldn't be so easily duped by someone, just because they speak English and studied abroad.

I can go on, but I don't want to keep bashing Indonesia and its people. A part of me will always love Indonesia. I was born in Jakarta, after all. Still, my main motivation is to raise our kids in accordance to the values that are important to me. I know Indonesia can't be judged by Jakarta alone. I've lived and worked in a couple of other towns in Central Java (Tegal is fantastic), and have been to Bali many times. Indonesia has been a wonderful experience overall, but my dream is to be able to finally take off my hat, look at my family, and know that we're in a better place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back