KITAP Renewal

Bonaldi Kresnanto

I am ex Indonesia and got KITAP (sponsor from wife who still Indonesian citizen) and I was in Indonesia for the first year and since then, both of us move to US (I wish I can stay in Indonesia but unfortunately I can't find a new job there). After my return to US, I have to go to Indonesia to maintain the MERP every year.

This mid 2019, my KITAP will expire and wondering if it worth to keep it by renewing it (considering the Rp.12Mil or so renewal cost) plus the regulation that require me to return every year with no luck of finding job there (other than vacation).

Perhaps someone with my situation can provide some advise or guidance.

Thanks in advance!

I am ex Indonesia and got KITAP (sponsor from wife who still Indonesian citizen) and I was in Indonesia for the first year and since then, both of us move to US (I wish I can stay in Indonesia but unfortunately I can't find a new job there). After my return to US, I have to go to Indonesia to maintain the MERP every year.

This mid 2019, my KITAP will expire and wondering if it worth to keep it by renewing it (considering the Rp.12Mil or so renewal cost) plus the regulation that require me to return every year with no luck of finding job there (other than vacation).

Perhaps someone with my situation can provide some advise or guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Bonaldi,

Welcome to the forum. As you are an ex-WNI, and your wife is still able to sponsor you, I think in your situation it is best to just terminate the KITAP. It is fairly straight forward to get back if you ever want to return to Indonesia for a long time.

However, I do recommend that you process an Exit Permit Only (EPO), to officially end the current KITAP if you are going to be in Indonesia before it expires. Otherwise, contact embassy staff in the US to let them know that you are officially ending the KITAP, and return the KITAP card.

Thank you for your comments and I agree with your statement in the first paragraph where I can just apply new one in the future except maybe start over the applicatiob again to obtain the 5 year instead of renewal for “lifetime”.

However Im not sure if I understand your second paragraph. Are you saying I can just cancel the EPO only and not the KITAP itself?

Also, do I really need to file and process the termination or can i just ignore it by not returning to Indonesia and assuming it will expired itself and when in the future i go to indonesia just get visa on arrival?

Thanks again

However Im not sure if I understand your second paragraph. Are you saying I can just cancel the EPO only and not the KITAP itself?

Also, do I really need to file and process the termination or can i just ignore it by not returning to Indonesia and assuming it will expired itself and when in the future i go to indonesia just get visa on arrival?

Exit Permit Only (EPO) is not the same as MERP. You have to apply for EPO at immigration to officially end your KITAP. They will take your card, stamp your passport with an EPO, and it will say something like "Must leave Indonesia within 7 days". Only then is your KITAP officially terminated.

If you are abroad, and will not be in Indonesia before your MERP/KITAP expires, you should contact the Indonesian consulate in your area and let them know you are cancelling your KITAP.

Simply ignoring it and letting it expire is not recommended, as it may complicate later applications.

Thanks. Thats make sense.

Wondering what happen if I decided to renew the KITAP and get the first 2 years MERP but after my MERP expired in 2021 I did not return to Indo every year and expired? (KITAP still valid but MERP expired).

Will that situation terminate my KITAP as well or can I just re-apply MERP?

Thanks again

Exit Permit Only (EPO) is not the same as MERP. You have to apply for EPO at immigration to officially end your KITAP. They will take your card, stamp your passport with an EPO, and it will say something like "Must leave Indonesia within 7 days". Only then is your KITAP officially terminated.

If you are abroad, and will not be in Indonesia before your MERP/KITAP expires, you should contact the Indonesian consulate in your area and let them know you are cancelling your KITAP.

Simply ignoring it and letting it expire is not recommended, as it may complicate later applications.

Thanks. Thats make sense.

Wondering what happen if I decided to renew the KITAP and get the first 2 years MERP but after my MERP expired in 2021 I did not return to Indo every year and expired? (KITAP still valid but MERP expired).

Will that situation terminate my KITAP as well or can I just re-apply MERP?

Thanks again

If your MERP expires while abroad, then you can not return to Indonesia on that KITAP, and it is de facto expired. It is best not to let this happen.

By coincidence I had a friend who did something like this recently (left Indonesia, let KITAS expire without an EPO), and got grilled by immigration when he came back. He was let in with a VOA, then asked to process EPO...which I'm 99% sure is not the correct way to deal with this and is probably a "special arrangement".

Again, to minimize the amount of headache, if you know you will leave Indonesia for a time period where your MERP expires, just process an EPO.

If you do have a genuine emergency where you couldn't return to Indonesia before MERP expired, then report this to your area's consulate.

I’ve been contacting Washington, Houston and Los Angeles office with no luck and seems like they are not familiar with this termination process.
Im totally run out if option than returning to Indonesian which I hate to do it at this point since I am in the middle of busy work not to mentione about cost of travel for just terminating this.

Any other though will greatly appreciated.

I’ve been contacting Washington, Houston and Los Angeles office with no luck and seems like they are not familiar with this termination process.

If I believe the DitJen imigrasi website the pejabat/konsul Imigrasi in charge in KJRI L.A is Bpk Anggiat Napitupulu. Perhaps try to get in touch with him directly rather than with a random person in the KJRI/KBRI who unlikely know all procedures or even give a damn about researching something s/he knows nothing about.

I wish you good luck. I will try to dig if I can find some other name of atase imigrasi in Washington or Houston and post here if I find anything.

Unfortunately on January 04th a new Konsul Imigrasi has been nominated at the KJRI L.A. His name is Sigit Setyawan a former Kepala Imigrasi in Papua and KaSubDit in DitJenIm. Albeit I don't have a direct connection to him , I know quite a few people who know him from his time in the Eastern Islands. Perhaps I can get his email address, but if I were you I would try [email protected] :)

Quote from KJRI L.A sosmed:

Pada 4 Januari 2019 Bapak Sigit Setyawan resmi menjabat sebagai Konsul Imigrasi KJRI Los Angeles. Kami mengucapkan terima kasih kepada pejabat sebelumnya, Bapak Anggiat Napitupulu, semoga sukses selalu di penugasan yang baru.

I spoke with Pak Sigit just now after numerous calls, voicemail and emails.
He said Konjen LA can only accept the card to surrender and he will forward the termination to Indonesia however LA will not be able to provide EPO stamp on my passport other than providing a letter/receipt that I surrender my KITAP. He said this letter should be sufficient as proof in case someone questioning me in Indonesia.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what happens to any remaining time on KITAP if the spouse were to pass away? I think this may work differently than in a divorce situation where the visa will automatically become invalidated.
thanks.

That's an interesting question. Regarding divorce. I believe if the divorce is after 10 years then the KITAP can continue, but not sure how that works in practice.

I am about to extend my MERP for the final time for first round of ITAP. I need only a one year MERP and I note the price is 1 juta rupiah. As I am pressed for time, can anyone tell me if it can be processed same day at Kantor Imigrasi Jakarta? I assume it will be two days, and I also assume it can't be done online. Would I be right? Thanks

if it can be processed same day at Kantor Imigrasi Jakarta? I assume it will be two days, and I also assume it can't be done online. Would I be right?

My MERP extensions only included my sponsor (I did not even have to go) and it took 3 working days (in Jakarta).

For all: Ramadhan is approaching!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back