Jokowi reduces sentence of journalist killer.

dafluff

Cager
Almost lost in the news of Abu Bakar Bashir planned early release, there is another equally questionable sentence reduction given by Jokowi recently.

This was handed down to one Nyoman Susrama, who was convicted of masterminding the murder of Radar Bali journalist, Gede Bagus Narendra Prabangsa in 2010. He was given a life sentence by the Denpasar court. Jokowi has now reduced that sentence to 20 years.

The murder, which happened in 2009, was motivated by Susrama's irritation of Prabangsa's reporting. Specifically, he was upset that Prabangsa exposed Susrama's corruption in various government project. Susrama at the time was a member of PDI-P, and also the brother of Bangli's regent.

The murder itself was executed by 6 other people on Feb 11, 2009, and Prabangsa's body was found 5 days later floating in the waters near Klungkung. Police investigation later uncovered Susrama's role as the mastermind.

There doesn't seem to be any mitigating circumstances that would warrant Susrama's reduction in sentence. That is, other than that he was, and his family currently still is, well connected within the PDI-P.

Jokowi's action should be seen as a slap towards the already limited freedom of press in Indonesia, and a big blemish on Indonesia's already lackluster anti-corruption efforts.

https://nasional.kompas.com/read/2019/01/24/07570831/mengingat-lagi-kasus-pembunuhan-wartawan-radar-bali-aa-narendra-prabangsa?page=all

centurion

Cager
Looks like Jokowi is working very hard to lower his popularity. He forgets that he will not get any new votes from the conservatives whatever he does, and he can easily lose the votes of the liberals and progressives in Indonesia.

If he is paroling murderers/violators of human rights, what is the difference between him and Prabowo?

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Prabowo is a violator of human rights, Jokowi is not. That's enough difference for me.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Prabowo is a violator of human rights, Jokowi is not. That's enough difference for me.
So shooting people by firing squad isn't a violation of HR then?
Having LBGQT people rounded up and their heads shaved isn't a violation of HR ?
To name but 2 examples

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
So shooting people by firing squad isn't a violation of HR then?
Having LBGQT people rounded up and their heads shaved isn't a violation of HR ?
To name but 2 examples
I was not aware that Jokowi ordered extrajudicial executions or that he directed that members of the LGBTQ community be persecuted. If he did those things, that would change my view. Can you provide links to your sources?

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
As president of the country he has to shoulder some responsibility for them and he has hardly campaigned against them has he?
Maybe you can show me some links to your views to support why you think he is cool & groovy in the HR areana?

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Yes, even though not a director of deplorable acts, he has to own what happens on his watch. My point was not that he is great (or whatever euphemism you wish to employ from the 1960's), just that he is better than the alternative.

harryopal

Charter Member
Well, Jokowi is a politician and the nature of the game is survival and whatever compromises are necessary. That said and done I agree with Waarmstrong, he seems much better than the alternatives. I am not aware of him being linked with self enrichment corruption and his manner is modest and affable. He has a sense of humour and retains the common touch. Until the next saint comes along, Jokowi seems to offer a better future for Indonesia than the alternatives.

Ohh and the next saint would probably get shot anyway. Indeed if Jokowi wins the election I reckon he will need very serious security.

dafluff

Cager
This decision is now being protested by various journalist groups in Bali, and is being reconsidered. Meanwhile, Jokowi is evading any questions regarding this decision and refers it to the Justice and Human Right Minister instead.

http://batam.tribunnews.com/2019/02/01/pemberian-remisi-pembunuh-wartawan-akan-dikejai-ulang-kemenkumham

https://www.viva.co.id/berita/nasional/1117641-beri-remisi-untuk-pembunuh-jurnalis-bali-kemenkumham-mengaku-lalai

https://jawapos.com/hukum-kriminal/26/01/2019/ampunan-untuk-otak-pembunuh-wartawan-jokowi-tidak-tahu-detail-remisi/

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jason.d.o.