Jaime C's house remodeling thread

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
So, we bought a 7-8 year old house earlier this year, and are about 5 weeks into the remodeling. We hope to be finished by the end if the year. Our lease is up in February.

There are a number of things I'd like to ask other members opinion of. Perhaps those that have had some experience can help.

We are doing a fairly big remodeling, in my opinion. We are turning one small bedroom upstairs into a master bedroom. We are incorporating a balcony, part of the hallway, a maids room and maids bathroom into it.

Ibu wants a large closet, and I want a nice bathroom where you don't slip and fall everytime you want to use toilet because the floor is slippery.

The question of the day, how to make the balcony window open and provide a breeze, here in Bandung, without letting the morning mosque noise wake me up. It's approximately .8 meter tall by 2 meter long.

What you are asking for, is called acoustic ventilation. And it won't be possible with a window...

Last edited:
There has to be something that will work. Even a hinged window that when closed will block the majority of the sound, and then can open up. Can't be that hard... :)

There has to be something that will work. Even a hinged window that when closed will block the majority of the sound, and then can open up. Can't be that hard... :)

remote control window with remote under your pillow .... :) ...... or window on a timer to close then open again ... or tell the pembantu that it is one of her jobs

Last edited:
If you want to deaden the noise of the mosque during prayer time (obviously when the window is shut) consider a double gazed casement. Depending on the final configuration you choose these can be fitted with mozzie screens.

Also watch for air gaps. Ace sells a foam strip with a sticky side to be installed around the window frame. They have different widths and thicknesses. From experience, if your window closes really tight without it, don't bother, it will make the window very hard to close. If your window/balcony door isn't installed yet, try to work with your installer to account for the thickness of the foam strip (if you decide to install it). Helps with keeping the house cool too when you're using the AC.

Or you can go for a double pane glass window with aluminium frame. But you better go for imported stuff that is specially made for dampening sound. The flimsy aluminium stuff you see around probably lets more noise in than good old wooden frame windows.

Of course another left of field way depending on the type of window, window latch / handle & the placement of your bed in relation to that window would be to attach a rope or rod which enables remote manual opening & closing ...... it's not quite as silly as it sounds.

remote control window with remote under your pillow .... :)

I like this idea, but how do you connect the remote control to the speaker system at the mosque?

*somehow I missed the "window" bit... tired at 8 pm, what an old fuddy duddy.

Why not just install a ceiling fan?

He wants outside air to come in but noise to keep out. That is simply not possible with a window. If you close it, you don't only block the sound but also the air. If you open it, you let the noise in. So someone or something will have to close that window at 4 AM. That's why I have always chosen for an aircon; my bedroom is the only room in the house where you won't hear the mosques btw. But it was hell to achieve with double terrace doors (French doors).

Good luck in finding a proper double glass solution btw, we have discussed that before and the problem is that the frame makers are not the same as those providing the glass. Who here has double glass? HR++ with Argon? I didn't think so. So the better way to go is ask for very thick layered glass, 10-12 mm. Wood is generally a better isolator than aluminium or PVC.

If you want a good all-in solution (frame and glass) check out these: http://www.brocoindustries.com/insulatedglass.html
But it won't be cheap, you have to explain four times what you want, and they have lead times up to 6 weeks.

Last edited:
We put in 10mm in our frames, works well, the constructor thought we were nuts, also solid doors help in bedroom and bathroom

We have no problem closing the window when going to bed. No maid here, so we'll have to do it ourself. Generally, the window would be open during the day.

In this new house, the bedroom will be in the front of the house, in a somewhat direct line to a mosque two streets over. One Bule living nearby moved after this new mosque was built, it was too noisey for him. I just want to get a good nights sleep.

A ceiling fan is planned at the moment.

We have these little ants that chew up the wood in our rental house. A metal frame would be nice, but not if it just increases the sound. Do they have concrete filled metal frames? I seem to recall that in the US.

We have over 3 months left of construction, so a special order doesn't bother me much.

I am hoping (Ha!) to do this project once, and not have to redo crap every two years.

He wants outside air to come in but noise to keep out. That is simply not possible with a window. If you close it, you don't only block the sound but also the air. If you open it, you let the noise in. So someone or something will have to close that window at 4 AM. That's why I have always chosen for an aircon; my bedroom is the only room in the house where you won't hear the mosques btw. But it was hell to achieve with double terrace doors (French doors).

Good luck in finding a proper double glass solution btw, we have discussed that before and the problem is that the frame makers are not the same as those providing the glass. Who here has double glass? HR++ with Argon? I didn't think so. So the better way to go is ask for very thick layered glass, 10-12 mm. Wood is generally a better isolator than aluminium or PVC.

If you want a good all-in solution (frame and glass) check out these: http://www.brocoindustries.com/insulatedglass.html
But it won't be cheap, you have to explain four times what you want, and they have lead times up to 6 weeks.

I'm totally in line with this.
I would just add that double window sealed or not have very close value in matter of isolation (sound and heat). It would not really matter what you chose (or don't have the choice of).

Why not just install a ceiling fan?

This would be my solution... with a bit of improvement.
Add a air filter. it will filter the dust AND most of the sound.
Better take a thick one.
need to have an entrance and exit - filter on both. Only one of them need a fan and preferably it will blow in (creating a positive pressure in the room which would avoid water infiltration).

What exactly need to be used??? I don't know, I never had to do that!

Use PVC (plastic) frame profile with galvanised metal reinforcements inside the frame. Best brand REHAU plastics, it's not cheap but German quality and they have offices, warehouse? in Indonesia.
Two years ago I installed big (REHAU) gliding doors on the edge of my big terrace with 8 mm glass. The window doors from our bedroom are double, all this reduce the mosque noise by 80 %.

We have no problem closing the window when going to bed. No maid here, so we'll have to do it ourself. Generally, the window would be open during the day.

In this new house, the bedroom will be in the front of the house, in a somewhat direct line to a mosque two streets over. One Bule living nearby moved after this new mosque was built, it was too noisey for him. I just want to get a good nights sleep.

A ceiling fan is planned at the moment.

We have these little ants that chew up the wood in our rental house. A metal frame would be nice, but not if it just increases the sound. Do they have concrete filled metal frames? I seem to recall that in the US.

We have over 3 months left of construction, so a special order doesn't bother me much.

I am hoping (Ha!) to do this project once, and not have to redo crap every two years.

The frame of a window "never" transmit sound.
It's the glass who transmit by acting like the skin of a drum.
A more thick glass can do the job, double glass are better.

Gap in between the window frame and wall will need to be care off (don't leave any)
Choose good quality window who close air tight - not the wood frame without sealing that will bent out of shape after 1 or 2 year - they bend out of shape because the wood use for the fabrication is not still dry.

I like the idea presented by macrevt. Jamie said his window is 8x2m x 25kg per sq m for avg. glass weight with 10mm thickness that is 400 KG worth to mention to any DIY guy in Indonesia who will install automatic gate opener/closer. If Jamie will decide to go this route my advice for Jamie would be pay attention to the rails that the window will slide.

What EL_G said above is true. The double glazing aluminium windows here in Indonesia sucks. Mine in apartment is a total rubbish stuff. In my windows the rubber seals are worthless. I have used some silicon to make it more water tight. I don't feel like I want to replace windows mainly because it is apartment responsibility and also a bit hassle to do it at the middle of apartment's height (apartment is about 25 floors tall).

I have 5x2m glass sliding door on my balcony. What I do is every evening I don't close them entirely I leave 1-2cm gap to create draft across my apartment. A simple and probably the cheapest idea presented in this thread is ... having curtains. Yes I know it is not 100% sound proof but it helps. I have 2 types of curtains one which is very thin like a net/ mesh kind of (preventing people to look inside and keep mosquitoes away closed all the time) the second one is very thick and heavy curtain I close this one each evening till morning. I also support myself with a fan in hotter days. I also have door with small plastic air ventilation on the bottom to keep the air moving while it is closed. It also helps to reduce noise. I guess it depends from the layout of your place Jamie. I don't know where is your balcony and how far away from the bedroom.

Ibu wants a large closet, and I want a nice bathroom where you don't slip and fall everytime you want to use toilet because the floor is slippery.

I have two toilets one for my wife one for myself. First solution.
Second solution. Install cabin shower to reduce the area of wet-slippery floor. Doesn't have to be expensive one can be done with those shower curtains. Make it long enough and it won't splash water everywhere on the floor. With some good and systematic washing-drying I don't see how it will not work. But I agree with you toilet was the most important thing for me as well -- to keep it dry.

After 4 years my wife understands that AC and air fan is not always bad idea and dry floor in toilet can be good and it doesn't mean it is dirty.

I like the idea presented by macrevt. Jamie said his window is 8x2m x 25kg per sq m for avg. glass weight with 10mm thickness that is 400 KG worth to mention to any DIY guy in Indonesia who will install automatic gate opener/closer. If Jamie will decide to go this route my advice for Jamie would be pay attention to the rails that the window will slide.

What EL_G said above is true. The double glazing aluminium windows here in Indonesia sucks. Mine in apartment is a total rubbish stuff. In my windows the rubber seals are worthless. I have used some silicon to make it more water tight. I don't feel like I want to replace windows mainly because it is apartment responsibility and also a bit hassle to do it at the middle of apartment's height (apartment is about 25 floors tall).

I have 5x2m glass sliding door on my balcony. What I do is every evening I don't close them entirely I leave 1-2cm gap to create draft across my apartment. A simple and probably the cheapest idea presented in this thread is ... having curtains. Yes I know it is not 100% sound proof but it helps. I have 2 types of curtains one which is very thin like a net/ mesh kind of (preventing people to look inside and keep mosquitoes away closed all the time) the second one is very thick and heavy curtain I close this one each evening till morning. I also support myself with a fan in hotter days. I also have door with small plastic air ventilation on the bottom to keep the air moving while it is closed. It also helps to reduce noise. I guess it depends from the layout of your place Jamie. I don't know where is your balcony and how far away from the bedroom.

I have two toilets one for my wife one for myself. First solution.
Second solution. Install cabin shower to reduce the area of wet-slippery floor. Doesn't have to be expensive one can be done with those shower curtains. Make it long enough and it won't splash water everywhere on the floor. With some good and systematic washing-drying I don't see how it will not work. But I agree with you toilet was the most important thing for me as well -- to keep it dry.

After 4 years my wife understands that AC and air fan is not always bad idea and dry floor in toilet can be good and it doesn't mean it is dirty.
No, I said it was .8 meter by 2 meters. So 1.6 square meters. Certainly not 400kg. Not getting bulletproof glass. :)

Mostly I want to have a proper sliding shower door, so the entire floor isn't wet.

No, I said it was .8 meter by 2 meters. So 1.6 square meters. Certainly not 400kg. Not getting bulletproof glass. :)

Mostly I want to have a proper sliding shower door, so the entire floor isn't wet.

I though it is a typo error that "." there.

I would go for a single panel outward opening glass shower door because I find the triple panel sliders to be a pain in the ass, they're harder to clean & come off the tracks easy. I'd also maybe go for frosted rather than clear glass due to calcium buildup which can etch clear glass & permanently damage it in which case the way to make it look okay again is to wipe clove oil over it.

The best way to keep clear shower glass clean is to use a squeegee to remove water after every shower & in the case of light calcium build up, washing with Bi Carb & then wiping down with vinegar is the go.

Talking about cleaning glass, anyone who buys special products like Windex is wasting their money, the easiest way to clean windows is with dishwashing liquid, hot water is best but cold will do. Apply it with a rag or 1 of those special window washers & then just squeegee it off
For really dirty windows, hose the bulk of the dirt off first or you may damage your squeegee

Last edited:
After having many bathrooms renovated, I decided against glass shower doors at all times. Just a walk-in shower with a drying area. The walk-in shower can be separated by glass, or preferably by a tiled wall (approx. 2 meters high so you can put shampoo etc on there).

Much less maintenance. The only disadvantage is this solution takes some more space but we are talking complete redesign here, right? Not a tiny dinky appartment bathroom of 2x2 meter.

2373-3D1-680x509.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats