ITAS renewal

Since we are on the subject of renewing the Kitas I could use some help. I was living in Karangasem wtth the kitas for a few years. I had a serious health issue and went to the hospital. When I left the hospital I came to Sada Jiwa health and senior living clinic. Sada Jiwa is in Badung regency near Mengwi. I will need to renew my Surat Domicile before I can renew my Kitas in June. I asked here for them to go to the local Kepala Desa and get me the new letter. They have been dragging and not getting it. They said I need a letter of Pindah which my agent and I have never heard of. Isn't getting the Surat Domicile made directly between them where I live, pay rent , and the Kepala Desa? In Padang Bai, the hotel manager, had it in 1 hour, but Sada Jiwa hasn't gotten it in two weeks! I am not sure if they registered that I live here and have payed rent here since Nov 16. I thought this is their job to help me and get this letter, but nothing as of now. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this place, to get me my Surat Domicile? I don't know what to do?

Since we are on the subject of renewing the Kitas I could use some help. I was living in Karangasem wtth the kitas for a few years. I had a serious health issue and went to the hospital. When I left the hospital I came to Sada Jiwa health and senior living clinic. Sada Jiwa is in Badung regency near Mengwi. I will need to renew my Surat Domicile before I can renew my Kitas in June. I asked here for them to go to the local Kepala Desa and get me the new letter. They have been dragging and not getting it. They said I need a letter of Pindah which my agent and I have never heard of. Isn't getting the Surat Domicile made directly between them where I live, pay rent , and the Kepala Desa? In Padang Bai, the hotel manager, had it in 1 hour, but Sada Jiwa hasn't gotten it in two weeks! I am not sure if they registered that I live here and have payed rent here since Nov 16. I thought this is their job to help me and get this letter, but nothing as of now. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this place, to get me my Surat Domicile? I don't know what to do?
I'm not sure how far you live from the RT and RW but for me at least I just go to their house and ask them for the papers I need to make a domicile letter. After that I go to the neighborhood office at the end of the street and get the letter. But for mine I'm like a 2 minute walk in each direction 😅 (I'm in Kota Bandung though over here on Java)

Biasanya, KITAS comes with concurrent MERP.
MERP is only required separately for KITAP after initial 2 years (and then only if you want to leave the country)

KITAS always has active MERP, it's a requirement of the primary immigration law (No. 6 Tahun 2011, specifically Pasal 64). According to the same section, KITAP can only be 2 year MERP, though in practice is often interpreted as 2 years max and a 1 year to be issued to make up 2+2+1 for a 5 year KITAP. This is also why lower level regulations (PP) have more recently added 5 year and 10 year MERP to go with the 5 and 10 year KITAS options, but the 5 year MERP is still unavailable for the 5 year KITAP.

Last edited:
KITAS always has active MERP, it's a requirement of the primary immigration law (No. 6 Tahun 2011, specifically Pasal 64). According to the same section, KITAP can only be 2 year MERP, though in practice is often interpreted as 2 years max and a 1 year to be issued to make up 2+2+1 for a 5 year KITAP. This is also why lower level regulations (PP) have more recently added 5 year and 10 year MERP to go with the 5 and 10 year KITAS options, but the 5 year MERP is still unavailable for the 5 year KITAP.
Would a 5 year MERP be available for the unlimited KITAP? I'm getting mine later this year and not having to faff about with getting a MERP every other year would be great.

I notice that retirement visas were mentioned earlier in the conversation. Do they still exist? And are you liable to be taxed in Indonesia on worldwide earnings, if you have one?

I notice that retirement visas were mentioned earlier in the conversation. Do they still exist? And are you liable to be taxed in Indonesia on worldwide earnings, if you have one?

How can you be earning if you're retired ?

A pension doesn't count

So dividends?
Overseas dividends and capital gains are theoretically taxed, especially if you are working here and have an NPWP. I used to have an NPWP when I was working here and had to pay a considerable amount of tax on overseas dividends and capital gains. I am now retired andhave de-activated my NPWP as I am no longer resident in Indonesia for more than 6 months per year. I now get an online B211 visit visa when I come to Indonesia.
I heard that retirees didn't get taxed on worldwide income, as they don't get an NPWP. Is that correct?

I heard that retirees didn't get taxed on worldwide income, as they don't get an NPWP. Is that correct?
If you have a kitas, you automatically are a tax-resident in Indonesia and have to apply for a NPWP.
Every year in March you have to report your (worldwide) income.

Check article 4 paragraph 1 and 2 in the tax law:

And check the tax treaty USA - Indonesia

If you have a kitas, you automatically are a tax-resident in Indonesia and have to apply for a NPWP.
Every year in March you have to report your (worldwide) income.

Check article 4 paragraph 1 and 2 in the tax law:

And check the tax treaty USA - Indonesia
I heard from earlier threads that people with retirement visas had been told they couldn't get NPWPs as they didn't have work contracts.
I'm British, by the way. Brits not resident in the UK don't pay dividend or capital gains tax on UK investments

I heard from earlier threads that people with retirement visas had been told they couldn't get NPWPs as they didn't have work contracts.
I'm British, by the way. Brits not resident in the UK don't pay dividend or capital gains tax on UK investments
Yes, even employees in the tax office will tell you the same. But it is not what is written down in the tax laws.

Would a 5 year MERP be available for the unlimited KITAP? I'm getting mine later this year and not having to faff about with getting a MERP every other year would be great.
No, in the primary Immigration law UU6 2011 it says this;
Pasal 64
(1) Izin Masuk Kembali diberikan kepada Orang Asing pemegang Izin Tinggal terbatas atau Izin Tinggal Tetap. (2) Pemegang Izin Tinggal terbatas diberikan Izin Masuk Kembali yang masa berlakunya sama dengan masa berlaku Izin Tinggal terbatas.
(3) Pemegang Izin Tinggal Tetap diberikan Izin Masuk Kembali yang berlaku selama 2 (dua) tahun sepanjang tidak melebihi masa berlaku Izin Tinggal Tetap.
(4) Izin Masuk Kembali berlaku untuk beberapa kali perjalanan.

According to point (3) it can only be maximum 2 years for KITAP. I suspect that when they wrote this law they never thought there would be a 5 and 10 year KITAS.

From what I understand your tax number is now your NIK number at least from what I've been reading recently.

Not really. It is obviously already being rolled out since ‘22 but only starting 1 July 2024, the Population Identification Number (NIK) will be fully implemented as the Taxpayer Identification Number (NPWP). The question is how much this will change since a huge amount of the population did not have a NPWP to begin with.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blonstein
Back
Top Bottom