Introduction and first post

I’m not sure I can maintain my standard of living in SF unless I’m working for big tech, it’s so expensive that a family of four is considered low income if they earn less than $117,400 a year. That income here in Indiana would put you at 76 percentile.
Good luck trying to find those jobs in SF now, unless you can work for Apple or Google. They can afford to break their lease though. It wouldn't surprise me if they join the exodus to Texas and Georgia.

What's so great about the Bay Area anyway? When I lived there it was affordable and fairly clean. Now? I heard that in the city you'll see just as many homeless people as workers commuting each morning.

Good luck trying to find those jobs in SF now, unless you can work for Apple or Google. They can afford to break their lease though. It wouldn't surprise me if they join the exodus to Texas and Georgia.

What's so great about the Bay Area anyway? When I lived there it was affordable and fairly clean. Now? I heard that in the city you'll see just as many homeless people as workers commuting each morning.
Several recruiters were approaching me for a position with a pharma company in Foster City a couple of years ago. The base pay was roughly $150K, which was about equal to $75K in Indiana. No thanks.

Several recruiters were approaching me for a position with a pharma company in Foster City a couple of years ago. The base pay was roughly $150K, which was about equal to $75K in Indiana. No thanks.
My sister in LA makes around 110K a year. Her son goes to public school, she paid off her house, and drives a sensible Honda. Last year when she visited me I gave her a cash gift. I was tired of seeing her only go on weekend snowboarding trips for the past 5 years. Her last real getaway was Hawaii and that was almost a decade ago. I'm so glad I left LA.

I used to live just South of Houston there on your map, but never realized those Austenites were uppity northerners before. I mean, I knew they were uppity... 🤣
Guess that SXSW music festival made the hipsters more high and mighty.

My sister in LA makes around 110K a year. Her son goes to public school, she paid off her house, and drives a sensible Honda. Last year when she visited me I gave her a cash gift. I was tired of seeing her only go on weekend snowboarding trips for the past 5 years. Her last real getaway was Hawaii and that was almost a decade ago. I'm so glad I left LA.
At least that house is worth close to a million bucks. She can retire comfortably in Florida like everyone else, because there’s no state income tax. Her pension / 401k would go farther there. Better yet, retire in Indonesia. That million bucks would really go far.

At least that house is worth close to a million bucks. She can retire comfortably in Florida like everyone else, because there’s no state income tax. Her pension / 401k would go farther there. Better yet, retire in Indonesia. That million bucks would really go far.
Yes, she'll be set once her son goes off to college. I'm trying to talk her into moving to New Zealand with me.

My wife is from there. It sounds like an idyllic place to raise my kid.
It does sound like a good place to raise a kid. I bet the schools compare favorably to U.S. public schools, while nowhere near as expensive as Indonesian private schools. As for college, he can go anywhere in the world.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back