Indonesian Driving Licence?

We been told that everyone now needs to take the online test at the police station. Last time we took the written test. Were told it's to try to clamp down on the bribes. The only problem with the online test is that you have 30 sec to answer each question so if you need a translator you need to be on it.

If memory serves, the answers are all of the type yes/no, right/wrong on your two-way switch box.

A knowledge of Indonesian is hardly necessary.

We been told that everyone now needs to take the online test at the police station. Last time we took the written test. Were told it's to try to clamp down on the bribes. The only problem with the online test is that you have 30 sec to answer each question so if you need a translator you need to be on it.

Is this only for new licenses or renewals as well?

I don't get all this talk of 1 year SIM, mine is for 5 years.

They've only recently started issuing a 5 year SIM to KITAS holders, previously it was always a 1 year SIM which was contrary to their own regulations.

I'm on KITAP my previous license was also 5 years and before that 1 year while on KITAS

In Jakarta, that computerized system has been implemented for a couple of years already. I don't think it's really 'online' though, if you mean centralized. So I'm not sure what it means for avoiding 'manipulation'.

Talking about that; lately a friend took the test. Well, in fact his wife sitting next to him did. She,...eh he passed with flying colors. Congrats!

It’s amazing we’re all the bodies appear from when you have an accident, I had a mishap on what appeared to be a road devoid of people, suddenly I think 200 people appeared from nowhere, we then had a court of inquiry as to whose fault it was, it appears to my surprise not me and I was awarded 200,000rp, I felt very guilty about that, as the poor guy didn’t look too well off and his clapped out kijang van was wrecked so I drove back about 15 minutes later to give him his money back, but everyone had disappeared,

Good for you mate. The general consensus in Bali is "well if you didn't live here it wouldn't have happened would it" so its your fault.

Good for you mate. The general consensus in Bali is "well if you didn't live here it wouldn't have happened would it" so its your fault.
hahaha...much like the adage....if you didn't press the horn it's your fault...:ohwell:

They've only recently started issuing a 5 year SIM to KITAS holders, previously it was always a 1 year SIM which was contrary to their own regulations.
I had to push to get a 5 year one this year. They did it but hadn't seemed informed-
Me: I want a 5 year sim please.
Cop1: Hmmm not sure it is possible let me check.
Cop 1 to cop 2- lots of chit chat re is it possible or not & cop 2 goes to computer and does some research, Cop 1 sends and SMS off somewhere.
A bit of a wait... Cop3 comes in... affirmative nodding and positive sounding chatter...

Cop 1: Yes, you can have 5 years.

I had to push to get a 5 year one this year. They did it but hadn't seemed informed-
Me: I want a 5 year sim please.
Cop1: Hmmm not sure it is possible let me check.
Cop 1 to cop 2- lots of chit chat re is it possible or not & cop 2 goes to computer and does some research, Cop 1 sends and SMS off somewhere.
A bit of a wait... Cop3 comes in... affirmative nodding and positive sounding chatter...

Cop 1: Yes, you can have 5 years.

As always it's a gradual process?

But does this mean that you have finally managed to get a license in Bandung or did you just get it somewhere else?

I have always had a licence in Bandung- and always been shafted in the processing of it- however- I feel a tad less shafted this time as I managed to get 5 year SIMs when I went in for the extension, but I had to pay 600rb for them.
Makes me sick, slimy arsed barstewards!!!

I have always had a licence in Bandung- and always been shafted in the processing of it- however- I feel a tad less shafted this time as I managed to get 5 year SIMs when I went in for the extension, but I had to pay 600rb for them.
Makes me sick, slimy arsed barstewards!!!

Ah, must’ve misunderstood previously then

I have always had a licence in Bandung- and always been shafted in the processing of it- however- I feel a tad less shafted this time as I managed to get 5 year SIMs when I went in for the extension, but I had to pay 600rb for them. Makes me sick, slimy arsed barstewards!!!

May I nervously suggest <warning: comment possibly interpreted as being sexist imminent> that it could be because you're a ... ... ... woman! <gasp>

Suggest all you want :) but i believe it has nothing to do with my gender.

News from this morning via agent: "normal" fast-lane process (only photo shoot required, no medical test, no written exam test, no actual driving test) still available (naturally with extra-extra fee). Nowadays only 5-year SIMs, even if you have just 1-year KITAS.

For 1-year SIM the agent fee would be too much, but since is for the 5-year SIM, guess I'll go for it, Now riding around JKT with my international driver's licence in pocket, but just in case better to upgrade to local licences...

Renewed my SIM C for spouse sponsored KITAS holder for the third time at Tabanan today but this time got the 5 year SIM no questions asked.

Rp212,000 all up included

Doctor rp45,000 including blood pressure check, eye test & now a blood type check

Psychologist rp90,000 + 2000 for a document folder

License rp75,000

The process was go to the doctor then the psychologist then POLRES to fill out an application form, hand the form in, wait to be called to get a payment form, pay BRI (ATM onsite at POLRES), give the payment form to the photo counter, take a number, wait to be called for fingerprints & photo then wait again for the completed license, sign the book.

There was quite a few people there as usual & the whole process took about 2 ½ hours.

That's why an onboard camera (front and rear) is a good investment. Just turn over a copy of the video to the police and your insurance company and let them sort things out with the other driver.

Renewed my SIM C for spouse sponsored KITAS holder for the third time at Tabanan today but this time got the 5 year SIM no questions asked.

Rp212,000 all up included

Doctor rp45,000 including blood pressure check, eye test & now a blood type check

Psychologist rp90,000 + 2000 for a document folder

License rp75,000

The process was go to the doctor then the psychologist then POLRES to fill out an application form, hand the form in, wait to be called to get a payment form, pay BRI (ATM onsite at POLRES), give the payment form to the photo counter, take a number, wait to be called for fingerprints & photo then wait again for the completed license, sign the book.

There was quite a few people there as usual & the whole process took about 2 ½ hours.
So no test ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back