Indonesian 8 year old boy crosses border every day to go to school.

dafluff

Cager
The story of Nursaka, an 8 year old Indonesian boy, is making the rounds both in traditional and social media. The reason for this is his unique living and schooling situation. Saka, as he is known, lives in Tebedu, Serawak, Malaysia, where his parents are employed. However, Saka goes to school in Entikong, West Kalimantan.

So every school day, Saka makes the trip from home to school, including an immigration crossing at PLBN Entikong (Entikong Border Crossing Station). The whole trip is 8 kilometers long, and he leaves his home at 6:00 am. Including 5 minutes at the border, his trip is about 30 minutes, and he arrives at school at 6:30 am.

His unique situation has prompted Indonesian immigration to post a short video of his trip through the border station, showcasing the Pas Lintas Batas (border crossing pass, also known as Surat Perjalanan Laksana Paspor), which is available to Indonesian citizens who reside near a land border with another country.

Saka wants to be a doctor when he grows up, and maybe he can join Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without Borders)! ;)

Saka's daily route:

DmzrMhyU0AAn5O6.jpg

Interesting story. I guess there are no Malaysian schools near him. I always presumed that the Malaysian education system was better than Indonesia, but that was based on just my impression and mostly city based.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819