How do you guys invest?

17-Apr-2024 / 09:38 WIB

USD 16.240,00 16.260,00
SGD 11.912,69 11.926,52
EUR 17.269,06 17.288,19
AUD 10.425,04 10.443,21

I think the coming Bitcoin halving is somewhat more interesting. Amazingly volatile currently.

The so-called 'halving' of cryptocurrency bitcoin was completed last night. This halving, which takes place once in four years, should counteract bitcoin inflation by making the currency scarcer.

The 'halving' slows down the creation of new bitcoins every time. As a result, the digital currency distinguishes itself from money such as euro, of which an unlimited number can be printed of course. The number of possible bitcoins is limited to 21 million, and so far 19.6 million have been spent.

Crypto investors were looking forward to the fourth half. After the previous one, the reduced supply pushed the bitcoin price up considerably. Even now, investors hope that this event will lead to further advances again. Saturday morning after the halving, the bitcoin price, which is around €60K / $64K, remained rather stable.

Interesting to see if Shell is bluffing of leaving the FTSE or whether they will pull it off….

Shell is the biggest position in my portfolio since I was convinced that the future of oil and gas was not that bad as many thought during the pandemic. I invested directly after the dividend cut in 2020 and then a few months later again. Now Shell is at an all-time high...I am really happy to have invested into Shell.

I could understand the move to the NYSE. I assume, US withholding tax would have to be paid on dividends then. That is a bit sad for us as investors (especially when living in countries like Indonesia where you do not have to pay taxes on overseas dividends if re-invested in Indonesia for at lesst 3 years), but I also think Shell would benefit from the move to the US. In Europe, many things are irrational and inpredictable ... especially when it comes to topics like oil. So, if the management would need the investors to agree on that plan, I would not vote against it.

Meanwhile, I also built my first position of Shell. I am not a big fan of oil related companies, but from a purely financial perspective, I see an opportunity there at the moment. But that is only my personal opinion, no recommendation :)

Only to avoid people saying „yeah, now suddenly you claim to have invested into Shell in the crisis when the stock price was super-low“, the quotation is my comment from 2020 😁

Last edited:
Every now and then we discussed BPR banks here. What do you think about their stability? Recent news do not sound so good:

I remember I had a big discussion here once with a moderator who stated even in Jakarta it was very easy to find a BPR with interesting rates.

While visiting a wall paper shop in Kelapa Gading and combining it with a Korean restaurant the end of last week, we decided to visit two BPR’s on that boulevard.

One big joke. First we had to get passed kepo security guys, then entered in the office where obviously everybody was asleep -they were scrambling to get up and find their stuff- this was after Ramadan and Lebaran. It looked like a money laundering operation.

And in the end they were not interested at all and only offered 4%.

With a SeaBank, Allo bank, Jenius, OCBC, etc etc it went much more smooth with interesting deposito and savings rates.

Every now and then we discussed BPR banks here. What do you think about their stability? Recent news do not sound so good:

Even with high interest rates ... I would reconsider saving money with these banks, because the rupiah is not stable. That's why investors hesitate to invest in Indonesia.

I remember I had a big discussion here once with a moderator who stated even in Jakarta it was very easy to find a BPR with interesting rates.

While visiting a wall paper shop in Kelapa Gading and combining it with a Korean restaurant the end of last week, we decided to visit two BPR’s on that boulevard.

One big joke. First we had to get passed kepo security guys, then entered in the office where obviously everybody was asleep -they were scrambling to get up and find their stuff- this was after Ramadan and Lebaran. It looked like a money laundering operation.

And in the end they were not interested at all and only offered 4%.

With a SeaBank, Allo bank, Jenius, OCBC, etc etc it went much more smooth with interesting deposito and savings rates.

My experience is very different. On Lombok, you can find plenty of BPR in Mataram. I went to a few, all were very professional. Well-dressed, well-informed, friendly. Interest rate (deposito) was 6 to 6.5% p.a. which is in line with LPS regulation for BPR and more than you can get at Jenius, Sea Bank etc.

With Jenius I have mixed feelings...my wife (WNI) is happy with their service. But they refused to offer me a bank account some years ago because I am WNA and they were not accepting my KITAS. It was a few years ago, so I don't know if it is easier for us WNA now or if I am an acceptable customer now that I have KITAP. I didn't want to try again after that experience some years ago.

And you have to be careful with Jenius and SeaBank etc. since they offer deposits up to 5% p.a. (Jenius...I think Sea Bank even more) which, in my understanding, is above the rate that is covered by LPS. So, maybe wise to use short-term deposit there with lower amount of money where the interest rate is covered by LPS.

Well, it’s always a matter of considering what the risk is a bank going belly up. Obviously if you’re completely risk averse stay with the biggies like BCA. The current LPS is rather low, for a Bank Umum 4.25% and the BPR 6.75% if my memory serves me well. And yes, with a SeaBank a 6 months deposito is like 6% so it exceeds the LPS.

Dear Nasabah Investasi BCA,

Di tengah keadaan global yang mempengaruhi sektor ekonomi, investasi pada SBN dapat dijadikan alternatif karena memberikan pendapatan rutin berupa imbalan/kupon. ST012 memberikan imbalan yang menarik dengan floating with floor dapat ikut naik apabila suku bunga BI kembali dinaikkan.

Segera tambahkan Surat Berharga Negara (SBN) seri Sukuk Tabungan (ST) seri ST012 ke portofolio investasimu dengan spesifikasi berikut:

Yuk, investasi dengan ST012 di fitur Welma di aplikasi myBCA sekarang karena persediaan terbatas dan hanya bisa dipesan hingga 29 Mei 2024!

Screenshot_20240502-150053.png

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tehtelor