DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

Similarly, I have been putting off going to the dentist since this all kicked off. I have 2 bridges and they had gone a bit dodgy and needed replacing. Last night one of them fell out in my bathroom when I was brushing my teeth (not pain whatsoever - they are maryland bridges so they have "wings" bonded to a nearby tooth) and I have lost the damn thing. Cannot find it. So unless I want to go around the place missing an upper lateral incisor I'm going to have to have people poke around my unmasked mouth. dammit! Does anyone know a good dentist in Jakarta?!
I thought all the dentists were closed- I too have been putting off going. if they are open though I may have to shimmy my ass down the dentist soon.
Re good dentists I do believe it has been asked & answered somewhere in the forum - let me see if I can find it

Here you go there are a few listed there:

This news article is interesting re the deaths of medical staff, considering they were among the first to be vaccinated.
We know that the Sinovac vaccine has 65% efficacy against the original Covid, so it’s probably close to 50% effective against the delta variant.

The U.S. Moderna vaccines are arriving, so the gov’t plans to give them as boosters to health workers.

Similarly, I have been putting off going to the dentist since this all kicked off. I have 2 bridges and they had gone a bit dodgy and needed replacing. Last night one of them fell out in my bathroom when I was brushing my teeth (not pain whatsoever - they are maryland bridges so they have "wings" bonded to a nearby tooth) and I have lost the damn thing. Cannot find it. So unless I want to go around the place missing an upper lateral incisor I'm going to have to have people poke around my unmasked mouth. dammit! Does anyone know a good dentist in Jakarta?!
A good dentist in Indonesia is a kind of an oxymoron. There is for sure a good one, but nobody saw him/her.

If you need a Dutch-educated and foreign practiced dentist that works in Indonesia, send a pm. The waiting list is 2-3 weeks and they work in hazmat suits (literally).

This news article is interesting re the deaths of medical staff, considering they were among the first to be vaccinated.
And the fingers of blame can be pointed right at the government for not making sure the people on the front lines are protected as they should be. Indonesia just wants to sit in the sidelines and wait for the free offers to come in.

Still, it is the people that need to get in order to control this. People still not following the restrictions and very little seems to be happening. If the police and TNI were to work as hard and dedicate themselves to controling the pandemic as much as the nations healthcare does, it would be a totally different story.

I will see if I can find the dentist I used in early June neat ITC Roxy. They were covered from head to toe(hazard suit style) and wore the heavy duty painting masks(almost look like a gas mask).

On the day after I arrived in the US in June, I received the Johnson & Johnson one-shot vaccine as a "booster". I am hoping this raised my antibody levels, as I had received both Sinovac CoronaVac shots in March.
I am planning to get the booster shot as well, may I ask which airline did you take to US?

I am planning to get the booster shot as well, may I ask which airline did you take to US?
I flew on Turkish Airlines. Everything was fine, except no beer in economy class. The flights between Istanbul and Washington were pretty full (though I had an empty middle seat on the outbound), but the flights between Jakarta and Istanbul were not full at all. Of course, all of this can change quickly. Indonesia is getting a bit of a bad reputation for its (lack of) handling of the pandemic.

We all saw our local dentist in Bandung last Sept-Oct. Kind of a full hazmat suit. I can get you his contact info. We’ve been using him for 3-4 years, and have always been happy.

We all saw our local dentist in Bandung last Sept-Oct. Kind of a full hazmat suit. I can get you his contact info. We’ve been using him for 3-4 years, and have always been happy.
I already have a place that I love - I will check & see if/when they are open,
but cheers all the same J. C.

I thought all the dentists were closed- I too have been putting off going. if they are open though I may have to shimmy my ass down the dentist soon.
Re good dentists I do believe it has been a

Dentists are currently open (at least in Jakarta anyway). However, when I went last week my dentist mentioned all the dental labs are currently closed. So you may not be able to get all you need done at the moment.

Basically, all new offshore visa approvals are suspended from yesterday.

Attachments

• PERMENKUMHAM NO 27 THN 2021 TENTANG PEMBATASAN ORANG ASING MASUK KE WILAYAH INDONESIA DALAM MA...pdf
    109.4 KB · Views: 173
Random question, has anyone noticed some people being more fearful than needed and a bit entitled(to a degree) about even going out to do things they need to do?

Here is the context of why I ask. On an expat group on Facebook, a person asked a question about needing to go to immigration for finger prints and photos in the visa renewal. She wanted to know if it could be done remotely(poster admitted it was a long shot). The reasons where: unvaccinated(wants to get it, but says it is not available), would need to get a Grab/GoJek/Taxi to the immigration office(recirculationg air/no idea who has been in there before), and not comfortable taking the mask off for the photos.

Why entitlement? Someone asked because the OP was complaining about it not being able to be done remotely. OP then goes on about how they have lived in Indonesia for 12 years, own and operate a company, don't live in an expat area, fully intergrated into Indonesian life, tried to correct someone who said(mockingly) she is fluent in Bahasa Indonesia(apparently it is Indonesian if you are speaking English), not left the house for 490 days, and wants to switch immigration offices to one closer. The comments even from people who were giving the OP helpful advice, the OP seemed to respond in an entitled mindset.
I don't know, man. To me, there is a difference between complaining about a situation that sucks and wanting it to be better for everyone (in general) and complaining that the situation can't be made better for you (specifically, and who gives a shit about the general problem?).

Most of the entitled people I know are consistent in their attitude. "I don't wanna go in the shop, you get x for me and don't fuck it up. Last time you got xx cause you suck. You still owe me for that." "We don't all need to stand in line, do we? You hold my place while I do some unimportant shit and make no attempt to compensate you for the favor. " "They'd better do mine first, I don't care who is waiting, cause mine is obviously the most important one they'll ever do in their unimportant lives." "Oh, let me call Bob and get mine done special. He'll ignore his professional duties and do what I want him to because I used the magic name of another entitled prick I know."
(Just exploring the concept a bit, since it isn't something I've every really thought about. I don't think the concept was so mainstream when last I lived in the West. If I'm missing the mark, let me know.)

I think the pandemic has just given them more things to not want to do, more problems to solve at the expense of others. Just more frequency of occurrence for their standard shit behaviours, ya know?

Reconsidering this, are most people a little bit entitled about something specific? Do most people just have one or two things that they refuse to accept as their own problem to deal with?

Ya it makes sense and I get what you mean. Maybe I read too much into it, but reading the responses from that poster made me think of how people are coming across.

Oh and regarding misinformation...

Random question, has anyone noticed some people being more fearful than needed and a bit entitled(to a degree) about even going out to do things they need to do?

Here is the context of why I ask. On an expat group on Facebook, a person asked a question about needing to go to immigration for finger prints and photos in the visa renewal. She wanted to know if it could be done remotely(poster admitted it was a long shot). The reasons where: unvaccinated(wants to get it, but says it is not available), would need to get a Grab/GoJek/Taxi to the immigration office(recirculationg air/no idea who has been in there before), and not comfortable taking the mask off for the photos.

Why entitlement? Someone asked because the OP was complaining about it not being able to be done remotely. OP then goes on about how they have lived in Indonesia for 12 years, own and operate a company, don't live in an expat area, fully intergrated into Indonesian life, tried to correct someone who said(mockingly) she is fluent in Bahasa Indonesia(apparently it is Indonesian if you are speaking English), not left the house for 490 days, and wants to switch immigration offices to one closer. The comments even from people who were giving the OP helpful advice, the OP seemed to respond in an entitled mindset.
I agree she came across badly in that post..I haven't gone back and re-read it but I didn't get the feeling she was complaining - more looking to see if there was a work-around.
From my perspective, she is living with far too much caution but who knows - maybe she has underlying health concerns and she did mention not having had any vaccine yet.
If you are living 490 days without leaving the house I think it might be time to live somewhere safer but seems like she is settled here. I have indo mates who haven't left their houses too.
In some of her replies, I think her tone was a tad defensive and some people will pick that up badly.
I think I might have met her in person once at a bartega (drink wine & paint) event and she was a very nice person, not at all entitled, the opposite in fact.

That happens to be a friend of mine and I am actually really pissed off with you for dragging that crap in here & mocking her for it.
She has her reasons for what she is asking. She may not have come back brilliantly but really there were a lot of awful comments and to be fair the people responding read like a bunch of schoolkid bullies. so leave her out of it in here or I shall really weigh in.

That happens to be a friend of mine and I am actually really pissed off with you for dragging that crap in here & mocking her for it.
She has her reasons for what she is asking. She may not have come back brilliantly but really there were a lot of awful comments and to be fair the people responding read like a bunch of schoolkid bullies. so leave her out of it in here or I shall really weigh in.
I'm now regretting my commentary on the topic of entitled people in general, as it has become apparent that there is a known individual (whom I don't know) attached. I should have realized that was foolish and potentially insulting. Sorry to whomever you are.

I'm now regretting my commentary on the topic of entitled people in general, as it has become apparent that there is a known individual (whom I don't know) attached. I should have realized that was foolish and potentially insulting. Sorry to whomever you are.
I know I am gonna get thrown at again for my answer, but why would the fact that the person is known to somebody (here or somewhere else) make a difference in your opinion ?

The answers were not very glamorous for sure, but they were supposed to be from the heart ?

I don't know, man. To me, there is a difference between complaining about a situation that sucks and wanting it to be better for everyone (in general) and complaining that the situation can't be made better for you (specifically, and who gives a shit about the general problem?).

Most of the entitled people I know are consistent in their attitude. "I don't wanna go in the shop, you get x for me and don't fuck it up. Last time you got xx cause you suck. You still owe me for that." "We don't all need to stand in line, do we? You hold my place while I do some unimportant shit and make no attempt to compensate you for the favor. " "They'd better do mine first, I don't care who is waiting, cause mine is obviously the most important one they'll ever do in their unimportant lives." "Oh, let me call Bob and get mine done special. He'll ignore his professional duties and do what I want him to because I used the magic name of another entitled prick I know."
(Just exploring the concept a bit, since it isn't something I've every really thought about. I don't think the concept was so mainstream when last I lived in the West. If I'm missing the mark, let me know.)

I think the pandemic has just given them more things to not want to do, more problems to solve at the expense of others. Just more frequency of occurrence for their standard shit behaviours, ya know?

Reconsidering this, are most people a little bit entitled about something specific? Do most people just have one or two things that they refuse to accept as their own problem to deal with?
This is really not what was going on over in FB - all that was being asked is if there happened to be a way round going into immi office for the biodata thing, considering they already have all of that specific person's data on file.
To me a reasonable question- cos logically one would think they have photos & fingerprints already stored. there is a pandemic, the whole country is committing financial suicide by shutting down because it has to, offices are closed, workers are working from home wouldn't one think there is some logic involved in renewing a visa that one has had for the past 12 years that it could be done online.

This is really not what was going on over in FB - all that was being asked is if there happened to be a way round going into immi office for the biodata thing, considering they already have all of that specific person's data on file.
To me a reasonable question- cos logically one would think they have photos & fingerprints already stored. there is a pandemic, the whole country is committing financial suicide by shutting down because it has to, offices are closed, workers are working from home wouldn't one think there is some logic involved in renewing a visa that one has had for the past 12 years that it could be done online.
They like to see you, always ask me a few questions like do I speak Bahasa, and confirm my full address.
I can understand the picture thing (after all our "look" changes over the years) but the systematic re-fingerprint puzzle me a bit ?
It's not like my fingerprints are gonna change over the years ?

Anyway I keep on smiling, and tell them I don't speak Bahasa because I am too old to learn.

But, I am aware that some people have gone paranoid these days, and feel they risk their lives leaving the house. Note the use of "aware" and not "understand"

Anyway, hope the person in question will slowly come back to her senses and be able to enjoy a normal life in the future.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819