Best food to get delivered during Covid-19 lockdown

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
We like to go out to eat once or twice a week, normally. Now that it’s pretty difficult to do so, finding places open and delivering can be harder than normal.

Some delivery services tack on 10-20% higher fees for food, plus a delivery fee. Buying direct from the restaurant usually helps them more, if they have their own delivery drivers.

Supporting restaurants now is important to help them weather these tough times.

Many places have specials. Here are some places I like in Bandung.

Pie World. Get the larger meat pies. The beef (A), black pepper beef (B) and rendang (J) are my favorites. They used to give 10% off larger orders, haven’t seen this lately. Pies are 30k each or so.

Yoshinoya beef bowls. They often have specials, 3 regular beef bowls for 90k. Small bowls, but nice. They just introduced meat packs, that have 2-3 times the meat of a regular bowl. Buy 1 for 70k, 3 for 60k each, or 5 for 50k each. This last one is the only deal I’d get.

They also give you two rice packs per meat pack. I like their spicy black pepper beef a lot.

Any other places you guys like? Big, small, doesnt matter.

I’m hankering for some good sushi and Japanese food!

Our Yoshinoya was great the first 6 -7 months in existance here but then their portion sizes took a drastic downturn. Chicken piece sizes were close to half of the previous ones.

We get deliveries rarely and would rather cook at home. When we do it is mainly pizza from pizza hut since we have no dominoes and order 2 or 3 large pizzas to carry over because we like it cold too. KFC by the bucket so that stretches out for a few days. Not much for other places.

In Jakarta, I recommend Fried Chicken Master at Block M Plaza.

Granted I am bias since a friend owns it, but to me they have the best friend chicken. Think of a mix between KFC original and crispy skin on their chicken.

In Jakarta, I recommend Fried Chicken Master at Block M Plaza.

Granted I am bias since a friend owns it, but to me they have the best friend chicken. Think of a mix between KFC original and crispy skin on their chicken.
YES! I 100% agree - The fried chicken from that place is really good. I'm not friends with the owner so not biased :)

I’ve been hankering for sushi lately. My wife picked up some from Setiabudi supermarket, but it’s just not the same.

I prefer Zenbu for Japanese food, but they’re not open at the moment in Bandung.

I settled for Sushi Tei. They currently have 20% off their menu.

They were out of salmon, which is going to make my daughter sad. Still, everything else was pretty good.

17 items, from Tuna Maki, to Eel, ebi and avocado super dragon roll. About 600k including tax and service.

This is a lot of sushi, and our splurge for the week.

Halo Hong Kong in Bandung is nice non-halal chinese food. Nice dim sum, great crispy pork and good duck, too.

Since we discovered this place last month, we’ve been ordering once a week.

You guys should give D'bagels a try. They serve authentic American bagels that are chewy and flavourful. Their cream cheeses and muffins are pretty good too. Many loved their bagelwiches as it's fresh and as tasty as those in the US. They make their own gravlax, beef sausage and chicken patties too...

You can get all their food items via Gofood, Grabfood, Shopee, Tokopedia and bagels.id (Instagram).

I'm crazy about authentic American food because I was there for 13 years. And I lover American bagels, cream cheeses and muffins.

Stay safe folks...

My family and I are big fans of the Ikea restaurant, so we have ordered from them several times since they started partnering with Go-Food

You can't even get McDonald's delivered after midnight. The drivers either cancel or are too busy lol. Not sure how you guys live here.

I recommend Guzzbun in Radio Dalam for burgers, and Sliced Pizza (various locations in Jaksel). Guzzbun uses buns that almost have a Hawaiian bread-like consistency, and Sliced make giant pizzas that are really good.

We’ve eaten at the Guzzbun at PVJ in Bandung. Pretty decent burgers. The frys don’t do much for me. They had some grand opening deals that were pretty good last year.

We’ve eaten at the Guzzbun at PVJ in Bandung. Pretty decent burgers. The frys don’t do much for me. They had some grand opening deals that were pretty good last year.
True, we stopped getting their fries and just fry our own at home. They taste like bland cassava root / singkong to me.

You guys should give D'bagels a try. They serve authentic American bagels that are chewy and flavourful. Their cream cheeses and muffins are pretty good too. Many loved their bagelwiches as it's fresh and as tasty as those in the US. They make their own gravlax, beef sausage and chicken patties too...

You can get all their food items via Gofood, Grabfood, Shopee, Tokopedia and bagels.id (Instagram).

I'm crazy about authentic American food because I was there for 13 years. And I lover American bagels, cream cheeses and muffins.

Stay safe folks...
Yep...wife lived in the US for about 8 years and kept complaining about lack of good bagels until she found D'Bagels.

I noticed though that Sourdough also have been easier to find and quite decent too.

Well, since we’re back in Bandung, I thought I’d just add to this thread for places to eat that I’ve found tasty or unique.

For really delicious buttery croissants, Snoepen has a wide variety. These are the best I’ve had in Indonesia by far. Their standard butter version isnt cheap at 20k each, but they are quite large. Chocolate filled for 24k. They have a double cheese and beef version for 25k that they’ve been sold out of every time, but looking forward to that.

I love to turn the standard butter croissant into a ham and cheese sandwich.

Attachments

• 551DD43E-5281-45DD-B416-5F7DC167B406.jpeg
    551DD43E-5281-45DD-B416-5F7DC167B406.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 71
Generally I find the major pizza chains in Indonesia pretty uninteresting. Domino’s and Pizza hut just don’t cut it here, although in the US, I find them better.

Park Slope Pizzeria a NY style restaurant near is the best place I’ve found in Bandung so far. Near Ciwalk. Jl. Prof. Eyckman No.12b, Cipaganti, Kecamatan Coblong, Kota Bandung, Jawa Barat 40131

They have a very large pizza, enough for 3 hungry Indonesians. 8 big slices. 175k for my loaded favorite version, the Flatiron.

They even have a decent footlong meatball sub for 75k.

I commented once that I wished they had green olives as a topping, as it’s one of my favorites. My next order, they put green olives on it. Superb!

Sadly, only halal, but I guess I’m not that surprised. Make sure to you order directly from the restaurant. Gofood and similar mark it up 20-25%. I don’t mind a normal delivery charge, but that’s too much.

Attachments

• 6361E4FF-93B1-45E5-AE23-8B3E7D56E4CB.jpeg
    6361E4FF-93B1-45E5-AE23-8B3E7D56E4CB.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 58
In jakarta cheaper to order through grab etc than from the restaurant as grab sometimes gives up to 40% discount
Even on McD

I’m a bit boring when I come to food. Once I find places that I really like, I tend to just rotate between restaurants. They either have to close, really mess up, or drastically increase prices for me to stop ordering. So when I find a new place that’s special, its exciting.

I do always want to try new food items, which is why I enjoy going to nice hotels, I guess. Almost always something new to try.

My wife bought some Emado’s shawarma chicken last night in Setiabudi st. Billed as middle eastern food. You get a whole medium chicken, with either basmati rice or fries for 100k. A tasty garlic mayonnaise for dipping, and a super hot sambal that is superb if you can stand the heat, is included, as well as a mediocre small chopped salad.

The spices on the chicken are quite nice, although the chicken isn’t overly tender. This place is part of a chain. It has locations in Jakarta and Bandung that I’ve been to.

Also tried an order of beef samosas. A little small, but a great taste. 34k. Includes a small garlic mayonnaise for dipping. Next time I’m going to try their beef and chicken shawarmas.

Attachments

• 786006E5-DA3A-4D42-8717-34890B5A063A.jpeg
    786006E5-DA3A-4D42-8717-34890B5A063A.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 0DF305BC-580A-4A4D-BCE4-C0EA33F00A93.jpeg
    0DF305BC-580A-4A4D-BCE4-C0EA33F00A93.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 08C506C4-537D-4E79-BD7B-F9B6A84AA1F5.jpeg
    08C506C4-537D-4E79-BD7B-F9B6A84AA1F5.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 65
In jakarta cheaper to order through grab etc than from the restaurant as grab sometimes gives up to 40% discount
Even on McD
Oh, we’ve certainly seen some deals, but usually not on the places I really like. Paying with Ovo and others sometimes have deals.

I don’t find McDonalds that great, honestly. If I eat there, or Burger King, the next day I just feel unwell. If I eat at Guzzbun, then it tastes great, and I feel normal the next day.

Stay safe folks...
Sadly, no D’bagels in Bandung, it seems. I used to get a special at a NY style deli near my home once a month. 18 for $13 or so. I’d guess real lox here is probably pretty crazily priced.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maria clara
Back