Aviation info.

Reaction by Jokowi's son on the whole business:

3h3s392kcyto.net-resizeimage%20(10).jpg

With the added text: "so will this be forbidden in the future?"

And Air Asia started a 'take a selfie on the plane' campaign/competition...

Well, something I was waiting for since 2 years has become reality.
Direct flight between Bali and Banyuwangi !

And the prices seem to be very good.
F.Y.I. , my "jungle residence" is 1h driving from BWX.

Well, something I was waiting for since 2 years has become reality.
Direct flight between Bali and Banyuwangi !

And the prices seem to be very good.
F.Y.I. , my "jungle residence" is 1h driving from BWX.

Huh, funny this. I read several articles on it, and no one mentioned that Garuda folded this route in 2015 due to lack of passengers. Hopefully it will fare better now.

Interesting to hear now on the Bali flights that they now also do safety announcements in Arabic too - is the increase in Arab tourists really that much?

And Garuda does it again....

A couple of weeks before the change of 1 October they announced the direct flight between Amsterdam and Jakarta will be replaced by a flight Amsterdam - Medan- Bali.

You can imagine the chaos and disbelief with the many customers who booked this flight already.

Example of someone I know:

departure
29/12 AMS-CGK 11:05-06:45 uur (30/12)

new flight:
29/12 AMS-DNP 11:05-11:05 uur
30/12 DNP-CGK 14:30-15:35 uur

So two stops and many more hours in the plane.

Smart to announce it more than two weeks in advance to avoid EU claims. But the amazing and scandalous thing is you could still book the ‘direct flight’.

A couple of weeks before the change of 1 October they announced the direct flight between Amsterdam and Jakarta will be replaced by a flight Amsterdam - Medan- Bali.

You can imagine the chaos and disbelief with the many customers who booked this flight already.

departure

new flight:

Smart to announce it more than two weeks in advance to avoid EU claims. But the amazing and scandalous thing is you could still book the ‘direct flight’.

This is a reaction copied from another forum. (Disclaimer: I have no idea if the allegations contain any truth.)

"I work as a pilot in Garuda Indonesia, I know that even with a 393 seater 777, the CGK-AMS route has always been profitable. The main reason Garuda shifts its CGK-AMS route into DPS-KNO-AMS is because of the CEO Ari Askhara.

Firstly, Askhara owns a company based in Medan, so he shifts the route in order to use the plane to transport goods easier from Europe to Medan without having to pass the strict customs in Jakarta.

Secondly, Askhara is Balinese and he has a mistress named Puteri, she is a Garuda Indonesia flight attendant based in Bali, so after the Amsterdam route shifts from Bali, the crew based in Bali will operate this route. (Also the DPS-KNO-LHR route has been operated by the Bali based crew)

Most of the employees in Garuda Indonesia dislike him, cause he is destroying the airline with his illogical and corrupt decisions.

Everyone deserves to know the truth and I hope this could answer your confusion."

KNO is Medan Airport. I don't know what happened to the Garuda flight from London?

departure

new flight:

My father is on the same flights around Christmas..

What I found very strange is that on the way to Indonesia, he is forced to go Denpasar via Medan and only then to Jakarta, but on the way back to Amsterdam, he can fly to Medan from Jakarta directly.

Why the extra time wasted to go to Bali, no idea...

(DNP is in Nepal, think you might have confused DPS?)

Thing is it's an ID ticket and a 2jt return you can't complain much.

This is a reaction copied from another forum. (Disclaimer: I have no idea if the allegations contain any truth.)

"I work as a pilot in Garuda Indonesia, I know that even with a 393 seater 777, the CGK-AMS route has always been profitable. The main reason Garuda shifts its CGK-AMS route into DPS-KNO-AMS is because of the CEO Ari Askhara.

Firstly, Askhara owns a company based in Medan, so he shifts the route in order to use the plane to transport goods easier from Europe to Medan without having to pass the strict customs in Jakarta.

Secondly, Askhara is Balinese and he has a mistress named Puteri, she is a Garuda Indonesia flight attendant based in Bali, so after the Amsterdam route shifts from Bali, the crew based in Bali will operate this route. (Also the DPS-KNO-LHR route has been operated by the Bali based crew)

Most of the employees in Garuda Indonesia dislike him, cause he is destroying the airline with his illogical and corrupt decisions.

Everyone deserves to know the truth and I hope this could answer your confusion."

KNO is Medan Airport. I don't know what happened to the Garuda flight from London?

I had a very entertaining weekend drinking session with a group of GA cabin-crew and pilots, the Puteri story is pretty much a public secret. In the first month the guy joined the company she was promoted from junior cabin-crew to maitre d'cabin (one step below purser, usually this would take 10+ years of service before being eligible for this position), then more recently she was made "chief" as well (something like a cabin-crew supervisor, who gets assigned a group of crew to manage outside of flights).

⏫ Yeah sorry, I literally copied from her message. The proposed (by Garuda) new flight is via Bali (DPS). Uur is Dutch for hour of course.

The problem is of course that there are not enough flights from Medan to Jakarta to accommodate all passengers so it might have been more convenient to transport these people to Denpasar first. Quite a waste of time.

What will also be awkward, is the (inter)national status of the flights. And thus the location of passport control and customs. The plane stays the same so (unlike the KLM flight where new people can board in Kuala Lumpur,) they won't be able to take new passengers in Medan to Bali. And Bali to Medan has to become an international flight.

In other news, SJ is on shaky grounds. They had a management agreement with Garuda Indonesia, which for some reason was terminated immediately a few weeks ago. Rumours were that it was because the owners of SJ dismissed a few GA execs that were on a taskforce to SJ. GA responded by removing their "operated by Garuda Indonesia" paintings from all SJ flights and told GMF (their maintenance branch) to stop all maintenance on SJ planes until a debt of 50 million USD was paid. This led to more than half of SJ's 30 planes being deemed not airworthy and supposed to be grounded, however, ownership forced the places to fly anyway which caused some senior SJ management to step down.

It seems as of this afternoon the relationship with GA has been restored, I sincerely hope it lasts as I quite liked to fly with them and they go to some destinations others don't go (anymore).

The prices of Garuda flights are very high btw. Esp. to the east of the country.

And almost all airlines charging extra for baggage now, doesn't help.

⏫ Yeah sorry, I literally copied from her message. The proposed (by Garuda) new flight is via Bali (DPS). Uur is Dutch for hour of course.

The problem is of course that there are not enough flights from Medan to Jakarta to accommodate all passengers so it might have been more convenient to transport these people to Denpasar first. Quite a waste of time.

What will also be awkward, is the (inter)national status of the flights. And thus the location of passport control and customs. The plane stays the same so (unlike the KLM flight where new people can board in Kuala Lumpur,) they won't be able to take new passengers in Medan to Bali. And Bali to Medan has to become an international flight.

GA currently operates 8 daily flights from KNO - CGK, the AMS flight would land at approximately 8 am, connecting flight options would be at 9:15 and 11:15 am. GA claims this change is because the CGK-AMS-CGK route is not profitable and the majority of pax only transits in CGK to DPS, so they reduce capacity in its entirety. So by their logic only a few pax would go from KNO to CGK anyway, why not let them off and connect in KNO?

There is still no direct flight from KNO to DPS. Why not open up any seats available for sale, I'm sure it would prove popular for weekend business.

Below a screenshot of the new ridiculous routing if trying to do a return AMS - CGK on GA.

garuda.jpg

The prices of Garuda flights are very high btw. Esp. to the east of the country.

And almost all airlines charging extra for baggage now, doesn't help.

Are they really high though? Or just higher than before and there has finally been a market correction in Indonesia?

Are they really high though? Or just higher than before and there has finally been a market correction in Indonesia?

The weird thing is that the international flights are often cheaper than domestic. And esp. flights to Ambon, Flores etc. have become extremely expensive.

The weird thing is that the international flights are often cheaper than domestic. And esp. flights to Ambon, Flores etc. have become extremely expensive.

High frequency routes with high occupancy of premium classes could be cheaper in economy than low frequency routes with virtually no occupancy in premium classes. Premium classes is usually where the money is really made for airlines, if they remain empty they need to make money somewhere else. Same the world over.

Exactly one year ago the 737 MAX from Lion Air went down.

Today the CEO of Boeing will make some statements in a US Senate committee. Muilenburg admits they have made mistakes [sic].

American Airlines has postponed the return of the Boeing 737 MAX until 5 March. Southwest Airlines also does not plan to use the aircraft before March 2020.

American Airlines originally planned to use the plane again on 3 December, but that was already postponed until 16 January and now the airline is postponing again. So in March it will have been one year. Southwest Airlines warns that it can be postponed even further.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819