Airport train

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
Just watched metro tv news regarding the airport train, looks quite smart, but knowing how many boxes, bags and suitcases Indonesian bring with them, I’m wondering where they will all go if the train is full, the train will run every 30 mins, cost 100,000,Rp , seems a bit steep

Just watched metro tv news regarding the airport train, looks quite smart, but knowing how many boxes, bags and suitcases Indonesian bring with them, I’m wondering where they will all go if the train is full, the train will run every 30 mins, cost 100,000,Rp , seems a bit steep
The price is only reasonable for single travelers. For a couple, it could be close to break-even compared with a taxi; an Uber would likely be cheaper than 200k. For a family of 3 or 4, taxi / Uber will be significantly cheaper. *sigh*

Terminal 3 CGK, no idea where it starts from

The price is only reasonable for single travelers. For a couple, it could be close to break-even compared with a taxi; an Uber would likely be cheaper than 200k. For a family of 3 or 4, taxi / Uber will be significantly cheaper. *sigh*

Hopefully they will have a family ticket to make it more reasonable for families...or perhaps they will decrease the price a bit when they are more established with more capacity to carry.

For me the main benefit is the guarantee of an arrival time at the airport so I'm more than happy to pay the price (its also handy that my office is next door to Manggari station).

Hopefully they will have a family ticket to make it more reasonable for families...or perhaps they will decrease the price a bit when they are more established with more capacity to carry.

For me the main benefit is the guarantee of an arrival time at the airport so I'm more than happy to pay the price (its also handy that my office is next door to Manggari station).

Yes I agree regarding the arrival time at airport. The amount of traffic in Jakarta is crazy, and it can take a ridiculous amount of time to get to and from CGK and the city centre. I remember one time it took me over three hours to get from DitGen to CGK, which meant I missed my flight, and lost money having to rebook.

I would happily pay 300,000 rupiah for my wife, son and myself if it meant I would not have to sit in all that traffic and I knew what time I would be able to get to the airport, or be in Jakarta for something important.

Don't forget you are paying for the convenience of the train and not having to sit in a taxi stuck in heavy traffic. The money you lose, you gain in time.

If you need to be somewhere at a certain time, then the extra money for the train is worth it

Yes but all reports so far have said 50 minutes from central Jakarta to the airport which is an incredibly long time for a train....that is double the time it takes in no traffic (ok i agree that's rare) but is around the average journey time with traffic. Yes it helps reduce the risk of the 3 hour traffic jam but on average it wont save time.
What i worry about is the convenience at each end. There needs to be a simple way to get on and off taxis afterwards or to meet drivers. Personally i find terminal 3 setup for being picked up by a car idiotic as you have to go through several levels of car park where there is one lane.

50 mins?
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017/08/22/airport-train-to-start-operating-in-november.html
The airport track will connect Soekarno-Hatta International Airport with Manggarai Station in South Jakarta and Kota Station in West Jakarta. The whole track will run along a 36.4-kilometer line.
Thats 43.68KM/H
Seems like they will be going for a medium speed heavier load train. Hope that means enough seats and baggage space for all!!
I wonder how handicap friendly it would be. Wheelchair access, braille, toilet availability for 50 mins, etc.

The Jakarta posted had reported up until Jan. 1, the train tickets will be 50.000. After that, between 70-80.000.

Still not fully operational. Yesterday, the ckg terminal was not open until 15:30.
They told me they might open at 17:00. Too long to wait and uncertain, we chose blue bird taxi for rp. 285,000 to K.Wisata. Estimated cost with Uber was rp. 313,000 for that time.

Still not fully operational. Yesterday, the ckg terminal was not open until 15:30.
They told me they might open at 17:00. Too long to wait and uncertain, we chose blue bird taxi for rp. 285,000 to K.Wisata. Estimated cost with Uber was rp. 313,000 for that time.
uber more than bluebird? wow. did you check grab prices?

uber more than bluebird? wow. did you check grab prices?

No, I don't have grab app.
It was not the first time or the the last one Uber more expensive than blue bird. The worst, early this year Uber quoted more than 600k from airport to home.

During prime busy times grab, uber, and go car cost more then bluebird. But during that time wait for bluebird is longer too. Fyi it' that way everywhere. It makes sense seeing drive time is longer during these period. So if ride takes longer less fares you can get.

What I really like about go jek app it will also give you a price for bluebird and allows you to order bluebird from there app at set price.

Actually, I didn't have to wait for bluebird. Few were waiting.

Let see this evening, we flight back to soetta from Manado. Will check bluebird Vs Uber. Not interested to use train this time.

Uber operate on a supply and demand principle. The more demand the higher the price so using them at a busy time is going to cost more. They have been caught out a few times with disasters. One instance was when a crazy was holding hostages in a Sydney cafe. People had to vacate the area quickly and Uber's prices rocketed. It caused the company some embarrassment when it appeared that quick profit was much more important than people's safety.

So Grab now has dedicated cars to serve the Jakarta airport. GrabCenkareng they are called if i remember correctly..

Probably to avoid the issues with taxi drivers. And to make a deal with the airport (on a license). There is even a booth outside of the terminal building(s).

Now this all sounds great, but in reality it has major implications:
There is a very limited amount of cars, even with Platinum status and a prioritized booking there still is a message "no cars in your area". Not nice at 11 PM when there are no more airport busses available.
The booth is completely useless, they just tell you how make an online booking (duh) and write down the customer/car and inform you of the car coming. All of these are provided online anyway so I don't understand the manual intervention.
The cost to take a Grab car has gone up considerably. (Supply and Demand.) It was 189.000 rupiah to the North East of Jakarta. The metered Express Taxi costed 170.000 instead.

So after all, it is worthwhile to check out the regular taxi's again. (Cf. NYC.)

Ah, since I had some time I took a joy ride again on the Skytrain between the termibnals and I must admit it works rather well. Not fully automated, which is a shame, but still; punctual, clean, fast and good.

Just to put the cost in perspective, Rp. 100,000 = approximately $6.90.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back