WORKING ON SPOUSE SPONSORED KITAS

izaza

Hello. I've read about issues with people on employer's sponsored kitas and imta having issues working in education after the age of 60. What about working on an Indonesian spouse-sponsored kitas for a school, with a contract, or without a contract, on an invoice-based payment system? would that be acceptable?
More practically, are there concrete examples of where it is done?

No because it's Manpower who approve the IMTA work permit

It can’t be done legally and your asking for trouble if someone reports you. An off the record teacher would make little to no money also. Better off making a YouTube channel.

No because it's Manpower who approve the IMTA work permit
Thanks. My question is more what is possible for me legally, as I will move to a wni sponsored kitas (my Indonesian husband). Wna married to wni are allowed to earn a living but the specifics are missing. I do not need an imta to work but I am facing a number of limitations. To what extent can I work as a temporary teacher, on site, producing invoices, not working for a pt and paying income tax? An examples and experiences to share?

here is the legal text: not much info:

Attachments

• 34bd6ec9-36a7-476b-a954-2a9b661481a0.pdf
    114.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
You cannot!!! Very simple. You asked. You got an answer. Impossible.

If you don't believe then use the search function for all the other posts on this same topic of what you can do under a spouse sponsored visa

IMTA is work permit
KITAS is for residence

The “providing a living/helping you and/or family” is very different to a physical job I believe. Most people interpret this as opening a business in your spouses name and helping out here and there. Such as helping prep / cook in a cafe or help organize a toko. I haven’t heard of anyone going to work in a school, factory, dll purely on a spousal kitas.

Thanks. Your reply helps and your tone is right! I am a teacher. Wonder if gving half-day, full days or longer training in offices would be possible.

Thanks. Your reply helps and your tone is right! I am a teacher. Wonder if gving half-day, full days or longer training in offices would be possible.
Immigration law says you may work to support your family. Manpower law says foreigners may not work without a work permit. There is an unresolved conflict in these laws. The result is that the common experience and recommendation is to only work informally, typically behind the scenes in a small business owned by the WNI spouse. Anything more than that it would be advisable to seek the written permission of the local Manpower (Ketenagakerjaan) office for the type of work you wish to do. The risk also falls on the employer, so understandably most schools will have no interest in hiring you without an expensive RPTKA/IMTA.

Thank you. I know your point of view, no worries. I am asking our friend there. Thank you

For a supposed English teacher you seem to have trouble understanding

It's not my point of view or opinion.

It's a FACT
The LAW

You cannot do what you asked. That's it. Simple.

Feel free to get 2nd 3rd 4th "opinions" but even other long term posters and legal experts here have agreed with me.

Good luck

R Cameron explained things pretty spot on and better than I did or could have. In practice; teaching, office work, factory work, security work without a valid work permit is asking for trouble.

The “providing a living/helping you and/or family” is very different to a physical job I believe. Most people interpret this as opening a business in your spouses name and helping out here and there. Such as helping prep / cook in a cafe or help organize a toko. I haven’t heard of anyone going to work in a school, factory, dll purely on a spousal kitas.
Hello. Thank you for sharing.

I am also a teacher on a spousal visa. I work for a (rather) large company here that has a lot of expat employees. They get us IMTAs. They can't legally pay us if they don't.

As others have said, the IMTA is for the employer, giving them the right to hire you. Without it, you might be in a legal grey area but your employer is not. They are illegally hiring a foreigner.

Of course, people do teach from their homes privately or teach online through intermediaries. I even know of people teaching in more formal (actual school) settings through intermediaries (a company that gets paid for the teacher and then pays the teacher). To the best of my knowledge, all of these "alternative arrangements" situations place a risk on the person paying the foreigner to work without a work permit. The law just clearly states they can't do it.

People also get IMTAs that they probably shouldn't be able to... going based on the requirements for issuance with regards to degrees and experience that I believe to be correct. If your employer decided to do that... I don't think you'd be in a rush to run out and share the info on a forum.
I do think it is possible for you to find "legal" work over 60 and without a degree. I just don't think every jot and tittle of your paperwork will be true and accurate and properly processed as you do so.

I am also a teacher on a spousal visa. I work for a (rather) large company here that has a lot of expat employees. They get us IMTAs. They can't legally pay us if they don't.

As others have said, the IMTA is for the employer, giving them the right to hire you. Without it, you might be in a legal grey area but your employer is not. They are illegally hiring a foreigner.

Of course, people do teach from their homes privately or teach online through intermediaries. I even know of people teaching in more formal (actual school) settings through intermediaries (a company that gets paid for the teacher and then pays the teacher). To the best of my knowledge, all of these "alternative arrangements" situations place a risk on the person paying the foreigner to work without a work permit. The law just clearly states they can't do it.

People also get IMTAs that they probably shouldn't be able to... going based on the requirements for issuance with regards to degrees and experience that I believe to be correct. If your employer decided to do that... I don't think you'd be in a rush to run out and share the info on a forum.
I do think it is possible for you to find "legal" work over 60 and without a degree. I just don't think every jot and tittle of your paperwork will be true and accurate and properly processed as you do so.
Hello. Thank you for your time and help, HappyMan. I definitely want to stay away from illegal, but needed the grey area for people married to Indonesians explained.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back