What's happening with beer supplies in Jakarta ?

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Dozens (well, the 2 or 3 that I checked) of supermarkets have run out of beer...

Is this a city wide issue ? Or am I just incredibly unlucky ?

(and yes, I do have a contact for supplier that BrianinBekasi was kind enough to share, I have not called them yet, but will, so I am just wondering.)

As I don't drink beer I haven't noticed this particular shortage, but when I shop tomorrow I'll look.

Although this could be a special case given that beer contains alcohol, generally speaking it sure would not be the first time a random product completely disappeared for a while.

The thing I can't find right now is coffee filters. Last time that happened I found some Japanese ones in the Darmawangsa Square Ranch, and mindlessly added them to my basket. The alert cashier, who had probably heard howls of indignation from a previous customer who unthinkingly let her ring them up, said, "Are you sure you want to buy these? They cost Rp 400,000 [for some measly amount like 10 filters]."

I didn't buy them at that insane price - but now even those filters seem to have vanished from the store.

As I don't drink beer I haven't noticed this particular shortage, but when I shop tomorrow I'll look.

Although this could be a special case given that beer contains alcohol, generally speaking it sure would not be the first time a random product completely disappeared for a while.

The thing I can't find right now is coffee filters. Last time that happened I found some Japanese ones in the Darmawangsa Square Ranch, and mindlessly added them to my basket. The alert cashier, who had probably heard howls of indignation from a previous customer who unthinkingly let her ring them up, said, "Are you sure you want to buy these? They cost Rp 400,000 [for some measly amount like 10 filters]."

I didn't buy them at that insane price - but now even those filters seem to have vanished from the store.
Use a sock.. I would suggest buying a new pair of socks for just this purpose, not old used ones- ewww
https://www.littlecoffeeplace.com/7-amazing-coffee-filter-substitutes

Well, the consensus is that using socks (reusable/washable fabric) is more environmentally friendly than paper.

& sorry KW, I have no beer comment or advice other than ask around your local ojek guys they will know where the little local shop is that sells beer.

Last edited:
How did you do that Puspa I hadn’t finished, I was going to add something but it might encourage crime so I deleted it

How did you do that Puspa I hadn’t finished, I was going to add something but it might encourage crime so I deleted it

How did I do what? Sneak in a comment before yours? I am a Post Ninja, that's how! Behold my powers ye mighty, and despair.

McVitie's Biscuits
2L Diet Coke
Weetbix
Bayar Aspirin 500

All disappeared from the shelves. Gone from Foodmart, Carrefour and Kimceks at least for now.

Heros in Sarina used to have a great wine and spirits section.. Gone. (I think for now you can still buy beer at the checkout.)

I would give a try and search online like tokopedia, lazada ect....
I am a bit "old fashioned" maybe because for normal coffee I would use French press however I still have significant supply of Robbert Timms coffee from AU those in a bag. Before I could get French press I used sieve. I also use French press for nice milk foam.

Also, GoJek have a beer bit in their go shop section... IF they deliver out your way

One place where for sure you won't find beer is TGIF. They systematically run out of (good) beer. They've even managed to run out of burgers!

Aww sorry I was in jakarta last week .That might explain the temporary shortage of beer.

I was wondering which forum member could be responsible.
Goodonya ...SteveandPenny....for maintaining a good tradition. I just wonder who drank the last one...Steve or Penny...:thumb:
Cheers from Bali...plenty beer here....saw an Aussie sports bar selling Prost @ Rp 20,000 a bottle from 5pm with appys. Shit...gotta run! :hungry:

edit: Got there too late and paid Rp35,000 for a one Prost and can say...it's not my type of beer. I recovered by having a Stark IPA ... which is much better.

Last edited:
JakBar remains well stocked with beer at Hero in Taman Anggrek, Puri Indah Mall and Ranch Market 99 on Jl. Pesangrahan. Red & White still has bottle shops at each as well.

Funny how things disappeared here, it would seem stock control is none existent, or it’s all stuck in customs waiting for the usual back handed to progress the items

Dozens (well, the 2 or 3 that I checked) of supermarkets have run out of beer...

Is this a city wide issue ? Or am I just incredibly unlucky ?

(and yes, I do have a contact for supplier that BrianinBekasi was kind enough to share, I have not called them yet, but will, so I am just wondering.)

I have noticed the shortage not only with beer but with other alcohol products. Every couple of months I buy a couple of bottles of scotch from online suppliers at reasonable prices. These suppliers have either disappeared or have substantially increased price. For example bobobobo.com used to sell scotch at a reasonable price but stock is no longer available.

I will not pay the price that some of the well known shops offer . Instead I hunt around until I find a reasonable price. Alas it is no longer available so no more scotch..

My view is that there is a "behind the scenes " effort to reduce supply and increase prices. The legislators could not get their "Ban the Booze" bill passed so reducing supply is another way of achieving the same result.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Catur88
Back