Wake Up Indonesia

Lila

I may be wrong...but...it seems to me that here in Indonesia people in general are not taking the spread of Corona Virus serious. The government has yet to take concrete steps across the board to stop social gatherings. They merely "request" we practice social distancing which has gone unheeded. They have only just recently closed night clubs, discos, pubs, kareoke, massage parlors, spas, bowling, saunas, billiards, and arcades. That's it! Why are malls, mass transit and the like still up and running? Shopping for nonessentials during a pandemic! Really? They report only 300 cases or so to date of infection. Does anyone really believe that in a city of millions? The Governor directs and states there will be no religious gatherings for two weeks. What happens? His directive is flat out ignored! Where is the enforcement of such measures? This attitude will only lead to Indonesia becoming the next epicenter. The Jakarta Post has some excellent articles
on the lack of action here and citizens total disregard for taking measures to protect themselves and others from the spread of the virus. Sorry...I needed to vent my frustrations. Be smart. Stay safe. Stay healthy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200321-081646.png
    Screenshot_20200321-081646.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 282
Hey, we all need to vent...the situation is crazy. To be fair to the average person here, Covid-19 is still a distant glimmer. Nevermind Indonesia, check out scenes at Florida spring break or Bondi beach in Australia.

However, governments, presumably with real doctors and scientists in their ranks, who did nothing the last 2 months to prepare, those need to get their asses kicked.

You would think Jokowi has been following Trump's lead. Just worry about the economy. Well, that got you right into an economic disaster.

I’m this close to berating this one idiot cousin for forwarding the “Keep going to the mosque, because it’s safe as the virus is also God’s creation” meme.

I am kind of astonished that (even here on this forum) some people still go to restaurants and bars and even seem proud of it. The measures and amounts of deaths esp. in Europe show this is not prudent.

And to debunk; 'I don't care if it happens to me': Besides possible nasty respiratory issues (try to run up and down the stairs three times and then breath through a straw to imagine how it can be like), you need to realize that it's not about you, but about people you could infect. The elderly weak mother of the bartender who gets it from you, since you got it from the waiter in the restaurant last week.

NB: Also, it is very easy to support the local businesses via GoFood or Grabfood or direct orders on Tokopedia/Shopee etc.

I am kind of astonished that (even here on this forum) some people still go to restaurants and bars and even seem proud of it. The measures and amounts of deaths esp. in Europe show this is not prudent.

And to debunk; 'I don't care if it happens to me': Besides possible nasty respiratory issues (try to run up and down the stairs three times and then breath through a straw to imagine how it can be like), you need to realize that it's not about you, but about people you could infect. The elderly weak mother of the bartender who gets it from you, since you got it from the waiter in the restaurant last week.

NB: Also, it is very easy to support the local businesses via GoFood or Grabfood or direct orders on Tokopedia/Shopee etc.
I feel very certain that at my age and underlying health problems, I will be a dead man. Very hard to completely hide.

I agree with each and everyone of you. In all fairness, lots of people around world are not taking this virus seriously until it affects them or someone they know. That is unfortunate. I am social distancing by staying home and utilizing the mentioned businesses of GoFood, GoShop, Tokopedia, GoMed, etc. I am a bit dizzy from all the alcohol decon actions I have taken around the home. Lots of movie benging, gaming, and reading. Strangely, i feel as though I may be saving lots more money by staying home with one exception. The price of hand sanitizer has almost doubled! 😀😐😣

Attachments

• 1584796974143416549839.jpg
    1584796974143416549839.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 200
I feel very certain that at my age and underlying health problems, I will be a dead man. Very hard to completely hide.
Although it is hard to completely hide, I believe it can accomplished to a great extent. It is quite boring in some ways but we must adjust in the time being. Furthermore, you as a distinguished Charter Member are forbidden by forum bylaws from doing anything less as we newbies here will continue to seek your guidance in all things expat related. ☺

I agree with each and everyone of you. In all fairness, lots of people around world are not taking this virus seriously until it affects them or someone they know. That is unfortunate. I am social distancing by staying home and utilizing the mentioned businesses of GoFood, GoShop, Tokopedia, GoMed, etc. I am a bit dizzy from all the alcohol decon actions I have taken around the home. Lots of movie benging, gaming, and reading. Strangely, i feel as though I may be saving lots more money by staying home with one exception. The price of hand sanitizer has almost doubled! 😀😐😣
Our safe zone is our home. There should be no virus threat there. Just the 2 if us that have no immediate demands except a weekly grocery store visit that would remove us from our home.

Our housekeeper does live outside our home and upon entering uses hand sanitizer and is well trained in antibacterial cleaning products. We can not dictate who she comes in contact with but have assurances from her that since her son is off school, they are staying home. Still, she would at this time be the only source if anything brought into the home. We have been discussing keeping her away and paying her to stay away but can't seem to figure out for how long. She is an asset and is a fantastic worker and her job would fall back on us. The reason we even have her is to give us some relief of taking care of the yard and house. My wife is a clean freak and would just start doing it all herself. Not that she can't, just nice to get a break from sone of it as one ages. She still cleans daily right along with the housekeeper. So, if we pay her to stay away, we were thinking from 2 weeks and seeing how things are going or just pay her for 3 months and ask her to take care of herself. That would isolate us since we just do not trust the government or the residents to do that.

Perhaps your house keeper could make the grocery runs for you. My wife made one in the past two weeks and i outfitted her with an N95 mask (which she complained was not pleasant) and latex gloves. Note: We only purchased a total of 4 of these masks for this specific reason from Tokopedia as most are unaware that the typical dust masks used in Indonesia do not protect you from this virus. We wash our washed hands and use the hand sanitizers many times throughout the day.
(Update N95 mask is not the only effective mask against corona virus.)
See my other thread - N95 Mask VS Surgical Mask
Content provided by Smartairfilters.com

Attachments

• 1584799725541759614040.jpg
    1584799725541759614040.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Be advised that the N95 mask is only rated for 8 hours of use.

Be advised that the N95 mask is only rated for 8 hours of use.
Thank you Nimbus. Yes we are aware. Fortunately we will only go out 1 time a month for a quick grocery shop and return home.

Let's just say this could happen (I don't want to say it happened already, you know)...

A patient died, no result yet if he is positive or not, he was brought home, washed (mandikan), then taken to the mosque before burial. Later the result is out and he was positive, but now his neighbor (who volunteered his service) and his entire family are coughing and have fever (demam). Don't know yet about people who attended the wake, doctors/nurses who attended to him, and his own family members. Are they isolated or tested? I don't think so.

Went to one of the malls where our regular grocery outlet is located here in Bandar Lampung. Traffic was reduced by the most half and the mall had a lot less people than normal at this time late Sunday morning. Food areas had less for sure but groups still put together. More mask worn now a days but still many without. Seems the younger you are the mote absent of protection.

The mall was not checking temps upon arrival nor did any store. Our grocery store did give every one a squirt of hand sanitizer. Not a single employee was wearing a mask. We have no mask so used wrapped scarves. Probably do no good what so ever.

Grab driver coming home had no mask. I was under the impression Grab was requiring them as well as a start of the day temp scan.

I suspect the mall will fill more in the afternoon for food and socializing. With no school I can imagine the HS school girls still packing the malls. So far there seems to be no one except us practicing social seperation.

All in all, it doesn't seem as if many see the seriousness in protecting themselves or others they may come in contact with. I imagine places like transmart with their entertainment areas will still be full of kids the parents expect babysitting services. Theaters are open too.

Maybe since this morning when they reported another 5 cases in Lampung bringing the total to 9 and one right in Bandar Lampung, people will start getting scarred.

BTW, I have not heard a single loud speaker blarring today which is not normal because our big one in the neighborhood loves to blast on Sunday morning. Most likely to interfere with the 2 Christian church services going on across the street. Driving past the Batak and Indonesian Christian churches I seen no activity going on. That would be a big change from normal.

Now we will be more self isolated and hopefully miss any virus floating around. I guess there is only so much you can do yourself but, if you don't do whatever you can to protect yourself and the others around you, how can you expect them to watch out for themselves and others?

I have stuck a status up on FB to keep family & friends away.
I live in hope that it works,
it basically says because we love you , stay home, do not visit. Do not go out for anything unless it is essential.
If you do come here and do not message in advance you will not be allowed to enter.

Perhaps we all should do the same?
It can't hurt & who knows maybe some of our family/friends will pay attention :D

Hahaha- I am ever the optimist.

For those who aren't so good with the language you are most welcome to copy & paste my pathetic attempts :)

Untuk Keluarga & Teman2 kita
We love you
2764.png
<3
Tapi, jangan datang kesini - itu penting kamu tidak keluar jika itu tidak penting.
Belanja makanan OK. Belanja baju/pakaian tidak OK
Social isolation = jangan berkunjung , jangan main dengan teman2.
Main online = OK
Main offline = tidak ok.

Jika Anda datang kesini sebelum kirim pesan - dilarang masuk!
Terima kasih.

BTW, I have not heard a single loud speaker blarring today which is not normal because our big one in the neighborhood loves to blast on Sunday morning. Most likely to interfere with the 2 Christian church services going on across the street. Driving past the Batak and Indonesian Christian churches I seen no activity going on. That would be a big change from normal.

Do you think the loud speaker is not blaring because there is no activity there or because there is no church services across the street? Speaking of mosque, the government may not be suspending any activity until shopping malls are also closed. At the moment, MUI is just suggesting people to pray at home. A famous cleric is saying something like what's the use of closing mosque if malls remain open. Some people will make the excuse of not going to the mosque but instead they go to malls.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back