Vitas - reporting within 30 days

rahmis4ri1

So we entered Indonesia (Jakarta), and our passport says that we have to report within 30 days.

What does this entail? Do I have to bring documents, which ones? Our VITAS says that it’s for a year.

We had planned to convert these to KITAS, but now may change our minds. Is this permissible?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

So we entered Indonesia (Jakarta), and our passport says that we have to report within 30 days.

What does this entail? Do I have to bring documents, which ones?

You should bring all the originals of the documents that you used to apply with. Everyone should come along, if not for the initial visit, then definitely for fingerprinting and photo taking, which is usually a few days later.

Our VITAS says that it’s for a year.

We had planned to convert these to KITAS, but now may change our minds. Is this permissible?

There is a difference between a VITAS and a KITAS. They are not the same, even though some people think they are.

A VITAS is a visa, a permit to enter a country. Once you have entered, it has served its purpose. A KITAS is a stay permit, which allows you to actually stay in the country. The report to immigration to get your KITAS is MANDATORY. Failing to do this in the required amount of time will result in you being illegally in Indonesia.

The documents required depends on the type and sponsor of your KITAS. If your sponsor does not have experience with this process I would recommend reporting within 14 days. Go with your sponsor, bring the same documents used to apply for the VITAS, but expect there will be some others required and ask them to help you make a list of what is required to finish the conversion to KITAS.

The documents required depends on the type and sponsor of your KITAS. If your sponsor does not have experience with this process I would recommend reporting within 14 days. Go with your sponsor, bring the same documents used to apply for the VITAS, but expect there will be some others required and ask them to help you make a list of what is required to finish the conversion to KITAS.

Very good point! Don't wait until the last minute, because there may be other documents and/or clarifications requested.

Thanks! Can I go to my nearest immigration office, or this should be at one of the big offices? I'm in Jakarta Selatan.

Depends on your sponsor and where it was issued

Everyone should come along, if not for the initial visit, then definitely for fingerprinting and photo taking, which is usually a few days later.

I don't agree. I cannot tell for some remote provinces, but in Jakarta that is for sure not the case. I have literally done all my immigration visits myself without bothering my sponsor to join.

It is beneficial to understand the underlying logic of the immigration process:
It is always the sponsor who requests XXX towards immigration for you/on your behalf,
or guarantees XXX for you etc.

This goes through from the initial VITAS application (or any sponsored visa actually), continues for conversion to KITAS, MERP, alih status, etc.. Even if you want to report an address change to Immigration, it will be the sponsor reporting your change of address etc.

The above is important to understand but it is only a technicality because all of this happens in writing:
  • on immigration forms, to be signed by the sponsor
  • on letters, to be issued in the name of/and signed by the sponsor.

In reality, the sponsor never needs to actually go to immigration!

It will be usually 2 trips to immigration for the initial document submission:

1. Obtain docs and information:
  • the latest immigration forms,
  • letter samples that you need to retype anyways, so that s why one shot is difficult.
  • full list of needed attachments for your case

2. Submit the documents
(that have been already prepared and signed by your sponsor in the meantime)

#############################

If your sponsor is busy, no need to make them join to immigration themselves as long as you are confident enough to figure it out, and your case is clear and properly documented. This is surely the case as you just got a fresh VITAS to enter.

In particular for the photos, fingerprints etc, sponsor does not have to join at all.

Thanks! Can I go to my nearest immigration office, or this should be at one of the big offices? I'm in Jakarta Selatan.

If your sponsor KTP is also in Jakarta Selatan, then it will be South Jakarta Immigration in Warung Buncit: https://goo.gl/maps/w73VvR7ocxR3t76w9
  • document section closed at 11am, go before 9am and it will be super fast and relaxed.
  • very limited parking but you can park at the KFC 200m north from there and walk
  • walk via the left side (BRI), the document counter is on GF on the back of the building
  • just ask your case at the counter and they will guide you.

I had very pleasant experiences there. I find the officers to be polite, friendly and generally very helpful. If you already have a clear visa case (i.e. entered on VITAS, so all the pre checking has been done and passed), nobody wants to make your life hard. It's just formalities.

I don't agree. I cannot tell for some remote provinces, but in Jakarta that is for sure not the case. I have literally done all my immigration visits myself without bothering my sponsor to join.

I'm sorry if it was unclear, the "everyone" in my post refers to everyone getting a KITAS, as the OP indicated that multiple people have arrived ("we", "our") in Indonesia.

Thanks all. I'm going to in two days and getting my papers ready. We're really grateful to the answers and the help we're receiving at this forum.

1. Our VITAS says 1 yr stay period. This was never requested/specified when applying for vitas, and in reality we don't need one year, only 6 months. When doing the ITAS, can we pay using the 6 months fee structure, which I believe is cheaper? Will they insist on us paying for the 1 yr ITAS?

2. Is MERP mandatory? I don't plan on using it so don't want to pay for this, or is it included?

3. Can anyone point me to the official fee structure for this?

4. I just want to make sure, we applied under Ex-WNI category, but we still get to keep our existing US passports, correct?

Thanks all.

If you did not get your KITAS (ITAS) by email after entry to Indonesia, you have to report at the local immigration office, otherwise, VITAS expires after 30 days and you are in overstay (1 million per day first 60 days, after that deportation and penalty 25 million).

If you stay less than 30 days, you do not need to convert the VITAS to (K)ITAS and you can go back/out of the country.

If the VITAS is for one year, the KITAS is for one year as well.

MERP (Izin Masuk Kembali) is mandatory and goes automatically with the ITAS. Without MERP you could not exit the country anyway.

The official fee is 2.5 million Rp.

MERP (Izin Masuk Kembali) is mandatory and goes automatically with the ITAS. Without MERP you could not exit the country anyway.

I think we can all agree that MERP is highly recommended. Even if you have no travels plans, we never know what life brings and when there might be an unforeseen urgent situation that requires us to leave Indonesia without wanting to lose our ITAS status. Without MERP you lose your stay permit rights as soon as you leave the country.

Being fully embedded in the normal flow and usually a no-brainer, it does have a somewhat "automatic" feel to it. However, I was always under the impression that MERP is the result of an application (permohonan) during VITAS/ITAS conversion
- by mentioning it on the Application Letter/Surat Permohonan
"Yang bertandatangan dibawah ini" [.....] "dengan hormat mengajukan permohonan ITAS Baru dan Izin Masuk Kembali untuk.....", and
- via PERDIM 25 form:
1661783235184.png

It also (used to be?) invoiced as a separate line item.

Has there been a change, maybe as part of the new entry flow?

MERP and ITAS are 2.5 million. ITAS is 1.5 million and MERP is 1 million Rp.

I think we can all agree that MERP is highly recommended. Even if you have no travels plans, we never know what life brings and when there might be an unforeseen urgent situation that requires us to leave Indonesia without wanting to lose our ITAS status. Without MERP you lose your stay permit rights as soon as you leave the country.

Being fully embedded in the normal flow and usually a no-brainer, it does have a somewhat "automatic" feel to it. However, I was always under the impression that MERP is the result of an application (permohonan) during VITAS/ITAS conversion
- by mentioning it on the Application Letter/Surat Permohonan
"Yang bertandatangan dibawah ini" [.....] "dengan hormat mengajukan permohonan ITAS Baru dan Izin Masuk Kembali untuk.....", and
- via PERDIM 25 form:
View attachment 2561

It also (used to be?) invoiced as a separate line item.

Has there been a change, maybe as part of the new entry flow?

It has been a while since the SOP is to hand out KITAS+MERP as a single bundle. I'm not sure if it is possible to get KITAS without a MERP these days. Even the notification to pay is immediately for the full Rp 2.5jt, and the sticker in your passport says "Limited Stay & Rentry" where this used to be two stamps.

I think the only time you encounter applying solely for MERP is when your 2-year MERP expires on your 5y or unlimited KITAP.

In particular for the photos, fingerprints etc, sponsor does not have to join at all.
Mas Dam, so usually for the photographs and fingerprints, that would be on the 3rd visit? How would they contact me for to say it’s time to come?

Also, suppose I come really early in the morning, will we be able to get our biometrics done the same day? (Wondering whether I should the kids with me or not, for the submitting of docs).

Thank you so very much, all.

I think the only time you encounter applying solely for MERP is when your 2-year MERP expires on your 5y or unlimited KITAP.
I just did this last week. They want a copy of your passport, KITAP, KK and KTP. OK, makes sense. But they also wanted a copy of my wife's KTP and KK, our marriage book and the letter of no impediment to marry from the embassy. Shouldn't all that be covered by the KITAP?

Luckily, this isn't my first rodeo and I had copies of all documents, no matter how seemingly unrelated.

More broadly, I don't really understand why a MERP exists for a KITAP. Surely it should be baked in. Who wants permanent residency that would be cancelled if you left the country?

I just did this last week. They want a copy of your passport, KITAP, KK and KTP. OK, makes sense. But they also wanted a copy of my wife's KTP and KK, our marriage book and the letter of no impediment to marry from the embassy. Shouldn't all that be covered by the KITAP?

Luckily, this isn't my first rodeo and I had copies of all documents, no matter how seemingly unrelated.

More broadly, I don't really understand why a MERP exists for a KITAP. Surely it should be baked in. Who wants permanent residency that would be cancelled if you left the country?
The Indonesian immigration system is in many ways a copy of the US system. The US has separate reentry permits from green cards, and you can lose your PR status if abroad for more than one year.

Merp's just an excuse to get a few more $$ out of you every 2 years . Agree , you provide all those documents when getting the Kitap , they'd all be available at the press of a button in there system or in the file cabinet . Officer at Imigration Jember told me there's no need to renew it " Merp" after the expiry date unless you intend to travel O/S . Should be an Exit/Re-entry permit /stamp available to kitas/kitap holders at the airport . The Kitap/ KTP are useless locally , still don't get the recognition of a local if you show them or not . 2-300,000rp including medication at the local clinic for a local. Minimum of 1juta + medication for me . 300,000rp for my KTP/KK , locals free , and there's are for life , mine's only for the same dates as the Kitap . Once a tourist always a tourist !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back