US History online course

Minuteman

Charter Member
Cager
Greetings,

My Son is a Junior in High School here in Tangerang. I want to get an online course in US History and US Government (High School level) to round out his education as he plans to go to the USA after graduation.

His education is pretty darned good as far as I can see, just want to include these subjects as he is a US citizen.

Can any of you educators on here recommend a good online school that offers individual courses? I've Googled it but thought better to ask those that know before committing us on this.

Thanks,

SLG

One of the first places to check is Khan Academy

Khan academy is the one I was trying to think of last night- well done nimbus.
However the link I posted last night has loads of very good stuff on it. I guess it depends on how he intends to learn.
Does he need hand holding or is he able to research independently?
If so, then any of the university courses in the link are great- maybe you could learn together & set challenges each week to see who can make the best 5 minute powerpoint presentation of a part of history- eg: week 1 Salem Witch trials. 2 The Great fire & earthquake in San Franscisco .
If you want to get more advanced try comparisons such as : The Salem Witch trials/ McCarthyism
This would be great prep for him if he intends to continue his education on to university at some point.

Try coursera.... but i like baddazz' idea. Do it together.

Thanks all. I'm still looking. Seems that most have 2 courses...History 1 and History 2.

He is a stand-alone guy so no problem there. He does not plan to go to college, going the military route.

I'll get him something suitable soon.

Again, thanks.

SLG

Then taking ASVAB/AVQT practice test online early might be good idea too.

RE: post # 6
I've no experience on the education system in USA or Indonesia but was interested in your comment....
"He does not plan to go to college, going the military route."

Any countries Military generally requires a degree, from a college or university, for Officer Rank.
That doesn't deny anyone from joining the military as a career...I did at age 15 as an RAF Aircraft Apprentice myself ..but would not recommend that route today.
The Military of West Nations, generally, are looking for outstanding individuals in all fields of expertise and then provide a continuing education to those who wish to extend their capabilities.
The opportunity for those seeking advanced education should look into what their country's military can provide.
In Canada, my friend's son graduated from university, provided by the Military, so well above his potential he recently decided to stay in the Canadian military rather than opting out when his military commitment (payback) expired.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'm still looking. Seems that most have 2 courses...History 1 and History 2.

He is a stand-alone guy so no problem there. He does not plan to go to college, going the military route.

I'll get him something suitable soon.

Again, thanks.

SLG
So instead of going through West Point, Annapolis, Colorado Springs, or an ROTC program on campus, he'd rather be a grunt? I suppose he's not interested in becoming an officer.

So instead of going through West Point, Annapolis, Colorado Springs, or an ROTC program on campus, he'd rather be a grunt? I suppose he's not interested in becoming an officer.

I think that's an unkind post.
No-one has made the suggestion that a member of any armed service is a 'grunt'.... only you!

I think that's an unkind post.
No-one has made the suggestion that a member of any armed service is a 'grunt'.... only you!
The term 'grunt' is not derogatory, a lot of people are proud to be infantry. I just find it a little odd that somebody with the means to go to university or to one of the military academies (and graduate as an officer) chooses to become a soldier instead.

Not everyone has an aptitude or desire to pursue an academic career. Some people are more naturally inclined to use their hands or other talents.
& yep Nimbus, your post did come over as somewhat negatively judgemental.

Not everyone has an aptitude or desire to pursue an academic career. Some people are more naturally inclined to use their hands or other talents.
& yep Nimbus, your post did come over as somewhat negatively judgemental.
No offense intended. It is his right to pursue any profession he likes. It's just strange that he's trying to improve on some academic subjects only to enlist as a soldier. American history is not one of the subjects covered by the ASVAB test.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Services_Vocational_Aptitude_Battery

I will admit for being slightly prejudiced, as there's a lot of Americans who think college is actually bad. Needless to say I strongly disagree with this view.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/24/most-republicans-think-colleges-are-bad-for-the-u-s/

Grunt is a very common term. I tend to agree with Nimbus.

Some interesting comments here, all noteworthy.

Being a Grunt Infantryman is the most important position in the Army. All other branches are there only to support the Infantry.

The need to get a US History and US Government course for my Son is so he will have knowledge of his country. He will not get these courses in the school he is attending here.

His Grandfather was a career NCO in the Infantry (Grunt) and a WW2 Veteran, his Father (me) was an Army Aviator and a Vietnam Veteran. I'm proud of my Sons' desire to join the Military and continue the trend.

I went in right after High School at the age of 17 and got out 3 1/2 years later as a CW2 Helicopter Pilot.

He has been online with recruiters and has a pretty good plan for his immediate future after HS graduation. Pretty solid for a 16 year old.

Cheers,

SLG

His Grandfather was a career NCO in the Infantry (Grunt) and a WW2 Veteran, his Father (me) was an Army Aviator and a Vietnam Veteran. I'm proud of my Sons' desire to join the Military and continue the trend.

I would be too.

Defence forces can be fine careers, and have little to do with stereotypical views of the military, the modern forces are very different these days.

Yes, grunt was a common phrase for infantry when they were enmassed and trying to take a large swath of territory from an enemy. What are you going to call them when they decide to go into a different service like the Air Force or Navy? In todays highly mechanized and technologically advanced military the possibilities in the fields available is almost endless. When ones service is finished the civilian opportunities are there. In todays US military you get a lot of choice in choosing your field of interest. The training is second to none.

While in the military and you have the time, each service offers community colleges and other college credited courses to help you one your way for your future. If you decide to discharge from the military, if you so elect, you have benifits from the GI Bill where a small portion of your pay along with government funds is set aside for further education. Most universities recognize military service fields and they award credits based on your field training, community college credits, and credits for professional training. It is easy to enter a University needing less than three years to obtain a degree. Plus, the money is there to do it.

Oh, most enlisted people I knew would never consider becoming an officer. Even those entering the military with degrees already chose the enlisted route. They knew the enlisted were the ones that needed to think on their feet and make instant decissions. Officers, especially at the lower ranks got their instructions from the enlisted many times because they wanted to live. Vietnam was a good example of smart officers of 1st and 2nd lieutenant rank listened to their NCOs. Not doing so would many times get them a body bag to go home in and unfortunately, include their troops with them.

In the UK foot soldiers were called Swaddies but later changed to Squaddies.

There's a funny story about the Falkland war. One Squaddie was asked "What was your most dangerous moment during the invasion?" he replied "When the officer-in-charge opened his map!"

I want to get an online course in US History and US Government

Hi, I have taken a free online course on an education platform called Coursera with subject US Government, but I am not sure if the course is still there, it was last year. But maybe you want to have a look on the website and check out the courses.

Coursera also provides paid certification starts from $49 with difference in grading system compared to free ones. So far Coursera is my favourite free online course platform because more league universities involve as the material providers (instructors) and just nice system compared to Khan Academy, EdX, or Open2Study. I once took Social Psychology course and the professor had a project with a 'reward' to meet Dalai Lama in Harvard, and other time to have a chance to Google HangOut with Professor Zimbardo live, for real!

Another alternative is to check directly to university's website and see if they have courses you desire, usually they have enrolment in summer. I have taken some from http://online-learning.harvard.edu/ and MIT.

Hope it helps, happy learning!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back