Twitter Wars: Bali vs. Kristen Gray

nd_eric_77

Charter Member
Cager
Have you guys been following this? An American "tourist" who has been living in Bali and working remotely (without paying any income tax) has written an e-book encouraging others to do the same. She tweeted about this, and Indonesian Twitter (especially Balinese Twitter) is lighting her up. She tried to play the "race card", but that went about as well is one would imagine.

I suspect she is going to be getting a visit from KanIm soon...

I think for full context it's important to add that this thread got a LOT of attention in America where Bali was trending for hours on Saturday. It was only when Indo twitter got onboard that some reality struck the dream.
She's still claiming on Instagram that her visa is legit (she apparently confirmed this with her agent.....we all know how legit the agents are here).

I think for full context it's important to add that this thread got a LOT of attention in America where Bali was trending for hours on Saturday. It was only when Indo twitter got onboard that some reality struck the dream.
She's still claiming on Instagram that her visa is legit (she apparently confirmed this with her agent.....we all know how legit the agents are here).
I love how someone who has all the "woke points" is learning that her SJW creds do not amount to a hill of beans when she flaunts the immigration system and evades taxes in a foreign country. Also, from the tweets I have seen, many of the Indonesian people who edited their online profiles in solidarity with "Black Lives Matter" are seeing a whole other side of race relations. The most comical tweet was when somebody said that Indonesians are "white" because all non-black people are white. (This was shown to me by my 15 y/o daughter when I asked her what was going on after she blurted out, "WHAT THE F****!!!")

I love how someone who has all the "woke points" is learning that her SJW creds do not amount to a hill of beans when she flaunts the immigration system and evades taxes in a foreign country. Also, from the tweets I have seen, many of the Indonesian people who edited their online profiles in solidarity with "Black Lives Matter" are seeing a whole other side of race relations. The most comical tweet was when somebody said that Indonesians are "white" because all non-black people are white. (This was shown to me by my 15 y/o daughter when I asked her what was going on after she blurted out, "WHAT THE F****!!!")
I'm a bit sympathetic towards them. I can imagine if you are living in Bali surrounded by digital nomads it's easy to lull yourself into thinking the visa situation is legal (when it clearly is not) and feel like you are giving back to the local community (when you aren't contributing income taxes/ paying for a proper visa). They sure had their bubble burst.
I wonder will they get blacklisted? Or will the agent arranging their visa get in trouble?

We've had the digital nomads chat here before- I really think there needs to be some sort of special visa for people like that.

I'm a bit sympathetic towards them. I can imagine if you are living in Bali surrounded by digital nomads it's easy to lull yourself into thinking the visa situation is legal (when it clearly is not) and feel like you are giving back to the local community (when you aren't contributing income taxes/ paying for a proper visa). They sure had their bubble burst.
I wonder will they get blacklisted? Or will the agent arranging their visa get in trouble?

We've had the digital nomads chat here before- I really think there needs to be some sort of special visa for people like that.

Agreed...they obviously didn't do it out of malice, more like the ignorance of youth, and the privilege of having an American passport.

Agreed...they obviously didn't do it out of malice, more like the ignorance of youth, and the privilege of having an American passport.
I think the frustrating part is when certain Americans racialized the issue and tried to tell Kristin Gray that the backlash was because of her race, gender, and/or sexual orientation. As I have pointed out in multiple tweets, I would get just as much pushback if I had done the same thing she did.
There is a bit of irony when people say that Indonesia is not racist, though... In the back of my mind, I am thinking... well, "not racist against African Americans" would be more accurate than "not racist".

There is a bit of irony when people say that Indonesia is not racist, though... In the back of my mind, I am thinking... well, "not racist against African Americans" would be more accurate than "not racist".
Lol - yeah. Although I have seen some pretty awful racist abuse being directed to her online. I think it's just immature people here trying to spark a reaction. I think it could be a bit upsetting and even a bit scary if I was Kristen right now (she got death threats sent to her accounts).

I think the frustrating part is when certain Americans racialized the issue and tried to tell Kristin Gray that the backlash was because of her race, gender, and/or sexual orientation. As I have pointed out in multiple tweets, I would get just as much pushback if I had done the same thing she did.
hmmm well perhaps Bali is different but for sure here on Java she would be referred to as 'negro' by most of the locals, and I am pretty sure that word does not fit in with the BLM dialogue

I still think Indonesia should introduce a WFH/digital nomad visa. Priced at say $2000/year, allowing people to live and work digitally in the country and exempt from tax/immigration rules (as long as their work has no connection to Indonesia). Imagine all the office workers in London who would jump at the chance (and would then be able to prove to their HR departments that they are in compliance with Indonesian laws, which is a major obstacle to companies allowing staff to WFH abroad at the moment).

hmmm well perhaps Bali is different but for sure here on Java she would be referred to as 'negro' by most of the locals, and I am pretty sure that word does not fit in with the BLM dialogue

Yeah, but the word, probably brought here by Spanish speakers, does not have the same negative connotations here as it would in the English speaking world.

I am going to guess, she is also one of those people who thinks people who are against illegal immigration are against immigration as a whole.

I and I am sure 99.99% of everyone on here understand the hassle and frustration of going through the process of getting visa(in any country). Do we like jumping through hoops at times? No, but we care on and do what we need to do. Some countries are better when it comes to the ease of getting a visa and some are worse.

This reminds me of a time when in the Glasgow couchsurfing group someone came on and asked about work and maybe doing things under the table while as a tourist. Needless to say, that person got ripped to shreds.

Yeah, but the word, probably brought here by Spanish speakers, does not have the same negative connotations here as it would in the English speaking world.
Try telling twitter that though- I think it might generate some activity.

I still think Indonesia should introduce a WFH/digital nomad visa. Priced at say $2000/year, allowing people to live and work digitally in the country and exempt from tax/immigration rules (as long as their work has no connection to Indonesia).
I agree they would do well to create a digital nomad visa, but they should make it at least $10k/yr if they're going to be tax exempt.

Someone making $50k per year would pay about $10k/yr in income tax in Indonesia (calculator). Simpler to just make a flat annual tax of a large amount like $10k or $15k to get the visa, rather than all the work of trying to verify and investigate foreign accounts, which people would inevitably try and cheat their reported income.

I seem to remember some discussion about the govt introducing a "nomad" visa. Was it part of the omnibus bill?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back