True or false ?

steveandpenny

Cager
I was told by a freind (he' not very smart) that as of now you can' buy and register a bike or car unless u are Indonesian. He said he has to register the bike in his wife name (might be her who told him this). Says it' only for new bikes.
I told him he' full of shit. Am I right or is he ?

Your first sentence doesn't make sense - I realise it is just a typo but you might want to re-read your posts before you post them considering that word was the most important one in the sentence? Just saying

So as of now you can buy and register a bike or car unless you are Indonesian

So you mean now only foreigners can buy cars now?

I was told by a freind (he' not very smart) that as of now you can' buy and register a bike or car unless u are Indonesian. He said he has to register the bike in his wife name (might be her who told him this). Says it' only for new bikes.
I told him he' full of shit. Am I right or is he ?

I think you can, but it is more difficult, and so the sales people often just say you cannot.

At least I have encountered the same situation before.

I believe a few years ago there were plans to prevent anyone without a KTP Bali to register a new car/bike, in order to reduce the number of cars on the road. No idea if that ever turned into reality though and it was limited to Bali.

Just a thought. If you buy a car by financing it, doesn't it belong to the finance company until you complete the payments?

I have a car and bike registered in my name. They do ask for a copy of your police registration of stay document which you have to do when you get your ID/KPT from your local civil office. When I bought the car I had to go to police again and register as I did not keep a copy.

^
^
I think the ‘AS OF NOW’ in the OP is something to check; as long as you had a NIK (see the thread on that) it was always perfectly possible for a WNA to register and own a car/motorcycle. My experience is from over a year ago; perhaps there are others who registered very recently?

I bought a car in my name about 2 months ago. So it was possible at least up to then....

My wife is Indonesian born but now a Canadian citizen.
She renewed her Sim A just a few weeks ago and inquired from the police if she could purchase a new car in Bali.
They were clear that even a KTP Asing did NOT permit her to do so. It required a WNI KTP.

Our current car is a DK (Bali registered) car, owned by her, and would be a trade...."didn't matter" is what she was told by the police issuing her Sim....you now need a WNI KTP to buy a NEW car in Bali.

They were clear that even a KTP Asing did NOT permit her to do so. It required a WNI KTP.

No offense to that particular officer, but I'm not convinced. Did he cite a law? I know many that have purchased two and four wheeled vehicles in recent years while on KITAS.

No offense to that particular officer, but I'm not convinced. Did he cite a law? I know many that have purchased two and four wheeled vehicles in recent years while on KITAS.

Kindly PM me information of any Foreigner on a Kitas/Kitap in Bali who has, in the last year, managed to purchase a NEW car in Bali.
I will then take that info to the Government/Polisi and request a proper response.

Kindly PM me information of any Foreigner on a Kitas/Kitap in Bali who has, in the last year, managed to purchase a NEW car in Bali.
I will then take that info to the Government/Polisi and request a proper response.
I don't know of any in Bali, is the implication that it's a provincial law? I don't know anything about Bali law, but at a national level it seems to be allowed (see dafluff 4 posts above). I can't recall a pejabat ever telling me "I don't know" and I've heard plenty state as fact their opinion of what the law should be (especially regarding what is permitted of a foreigner or what documents are required of a foreigner) without any actual supporting laws they can point to, so I'm slow to believe what a single pejabat states without citation.

I don't know of any in Bali, is the implication that it's a provincial law? I don't know anything about Bali law, but at a national level it seems to be allowed (see dafluff 4 posts above). I can't recall a pejabat ever telling me "I don't know" and I've heard plenty state as fact their opinion of what the law should be (especially regarding what is permitted of a foreigner or what documents are required of a foreigner) without any actual supporting laws they can point to, so I'm slow to believe what a single pejabat states without citation.

Yes...I was informed it is a Provincial Law.
The intent has nothing to do with foreigners but to stop other Indonesians buying cars in Bali and clogging the Bali roads if they don't live in Bali. Typically they didn't think it thru' to foreigners KTP.
They have just introduced another Provincial Law to prevent any other non-Bali registered cars (DK licence plate) from staying in Bali for more than 90 days!
I await that result with apprehension.
BTW I'm relying on what I was told but have no affirmation otherwise.

Last edited:
Well since I was told about this in North Sulawesi, it would seem a national thing not just in Bali. Also to be clear he said this is something that happened in the last couple of months and seeing we just re registered our bike with no problem, this rule (if it is true) it does not apply to vehicles that you all eady own.
Also I apologize for any typo it's my spell check , it just drops letters. Think it's just fucking with me.

They have just introduced another Provincial Law to prevent any other non-Bali registered cars (DK licence plate) from staying in Bali for more than 90 days!

Art. 71 of UU 22 2009 says that you have to report to POLRI if your vehicle in a different province for more than 90 days continuously. Of course a bit hard to enforce, cause you have to prove the vehicle did not leave the province for even 1 day.

Art. 71 of UU 22 2009 says that you have to report to POLRI if your vehicle in a different province for more than 90 days continuously. Of course a bit hard to enforce, cause you have to prove the vehicle did not leave the province for even 1 day.

I agree that enforcement of any law in Indonesia is an issue that they don't seem willing to address properly.
It wouldn't be so hard for Bali to enforce some restriction as all cars enter and leave by ferry. I'd suggest have a sticker attached, on the ferry, to all non-DK registered cars with an arrival and departure date, and a record kept of the car's number.
Any car overdue, and not attended to, would be subject to an overstay daily fine, much like the visa overstay.

If you have KITAP/KITAS, you should be able to owm a car in your name. Regarding buying... well you can buy whatever you like..even property.. but putting it in ur name, it’s a challenge!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudcat
Back