Travelling salespersons, kaki lima, morning staples, entertainers

john madden

Cager
Let's see who can name the most and most unusual vendors who pass their door either daily or less regularly. In our small dusun:

Tempe
Tahu
Mixed bicycle load fresh stuff form the market incl small portions of fish, veges, jajan
The fish and prawn man
Fresh meat (by request otherwise go to the "shop")

Sandal man
Bak mandi
Perfume lady

Bakso
Ketan with gula merak
Rujak manis
Kacang ijo

The mixed small plastic items truck

Wandering minstrels

What you got?

Mixed bicycle load fresh stuff form the market incl small portions of fish, veges, jajan

My guy actually has a motorcycle and you can SMS him with special requests. Very handy!
I also get local fishermen offering their catch they can't sell to the local pengepul (not sure if an english translation exist? basically a middleman that buys local products for a larger market). Usually fish, but sometimes crab and lobster!

the travelling mattress salesdudes with a Suzuki Carry full of them

the travelling mattress salesdudes with a Suzuki Carry full of them

That reminds me: Although I haven't seen this in many years, there used to be guys that would carry a bed (yes a wooden frame, single bed) with him around town and try to sell it. Has to be one of the hardest way to make money ever.

sayur No 1 Motor
Porrage guy. push cart
Fish and chicken guy. Who when stopped cleans the on the street and leaves the mess. motor with plastic bags hanging off.
Sayur No 2 2 wheel motor
Bakso. Push cart
somay. Push cart
Plastic guy. Pick up truck every 2 days. Goes so fast no one can get out their door before he's gone.
Bamboo shade guy. Bicycle
Bakso No. 2. Push cart. different guy.
Jamu lady. Bicycle.
Sate guy only sets up outside the satpan now. got caught sleeping with on of the wives in the komplex.
Lots of snack and drink places just outsede the satpans.

There are several different ice cream vendor and the shaved ice guy, as well.

bakso seller, on motorbike
veggie seller, on motorbike
ice cream seller, on motorbike
table and furniture seller, walking
kitchenware seller, walking
bed seller, with pick up
rice seller with pick up.
jamu seller (rare), walking

As a matter of fact we have in Manado way less vendors peddling wares than you may have in other islands. Most of the time, it is done by migrants. It wouldn't spring to the mine of most Minahasan to peddle stuff walking or on bike under the sun. In fact, in the above list, only the chair and table vendors are Minahasan because they make it from the wood they harvest in the Minahasa and there are a lot of tukang kayu in the kampungs.

jamu lady
sapu guy
ice cream
sayur by motor bike
then in he afternoon
travelling tailor on a custom bejak style thing
and bakso malang

finally in the evening
Tahu...gorengan.... mie goreng..... dadakan... di mobile.... halooo :D

If you want all those "come to you" vendors, is it better to live in one of the expat ghettos or in a more traditionally Indonesian neighborhood?

How do you guys even know? My house is in a sort of complex, but with lots of gangs behind, which have access through the complex. In truth, the only thing the security guards can control is automobile access. So, I've been living here for some months now, and I haven't had occasion to notice anyone other than the shoe repair guy. I know there are others that come through, cause we are the access for the gangs behind us, and the sellers play music or bang a pot or whatever. But, I've never bothered to go outside and see what they are selling. You guys like to sit on the front porch in the middle of the day or something? Perhaps you actually enjoy interacting with other humans in RL? Really, I'm always a bit embarrassed to come out, ask what the person is selling, then end up not wanting it... personality flaw.

Happyman, I peer over the wall & try to see what is being sold- but my garden is higher than the road so it is easy for me- or I ask the hubby.
Some I just know by the sounds they make, maybe from a few years of learning these things out of curiosity.
The one I like is the steam funnel sound - cos he sells the little steamed rice/coconut & melted brown sugar cakes- delicious- I know the name , but I just forgot it hahaa

How do you guys even know? .....You guys like to sit on the front porch in the middle of the day or something? Perhaps you actually enjoy interacting with other humans in RL? Really, I'm always a bit embarrassed to come out, ask what the person is selling, then end up not wanting it... personality flaw.

Hahahaha .....You don't have to sit in front porch to know who is selling what outside. I go for a walk, talk to people or driver (near our cars), watch tv while I can hear similar sounds or the same music playing (ice cream), words spoken from speakers tricycle bike/bicycle.

I just find out (1 hrs ago) there is "travelling tailor" in our area. Yupeee ......Going to "hunt" him down next time when he is in my area.

HappyMan where about do you live?

We have the traveling monkey show.

Plus a horse ride, with pink dyed tail.

Also, sometimes you can get a travelling welder. Yes, guy welds broken things for you, such as pots and pans and hinges...

Hahahaha .....You don't have to sit in front porch to know who is selling what outside. I go for a walk, talk to people or driver (near our cars), watch tv while I can hear similar sounds or the same music playing (ice cream), words spoken from speakers tricycle bike/bicycle.

I just find out (1 hrs ago) there is "travelling tailor" in our area. Yupeee ......Going to "hunt" him down next time when he is in my area.

HappyMan where about do you live?

Budi Sari, Bdg.

What amazes me is the speed they travel, the roti,roti man travels at high speed on his motor bike, you are going to have to lie in the road to stop him, the shoe repair man is so quiet, I think he wears out more of his shoes than he repairs, then there's the man who sells something that sounds like " api tapi" no idea what that is,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats