Today's menu:

Not bad at all compared to some quarantine food pics I have seen from some lovely SEA countries.
And at least the rice is not simply a lump of overcooked plain white rice !
You have to take the hotel and currency into account. Who was it nd_eric (?) who was quarantined at a Holiday Inn Express here, in Jakarta Utara? Even pre-covid their food would be total crap. Now imagine what they had to work with with a budget of Rp. 15 thou. / meal.

You have to take the hotel and currency into account. Who was it nd_eric (?) who was quarantined at a Holiday Inn Express here, in Jakarta Utara? Even pre-covid their food would be total crap. Now imagine what they had to work with with a budget of Rp. 15 thou. / meal.
Just to clarify, I do not know the actual price per meal that the hotel paid, but was saying that I could source better catering meals on a budget of 15k per meal.

As a customer (even a forced one) that's not my problem.
It's theirs. Now, of course, in order to get the market they bid with the lowest tender, and later have to make up for it one or other way.
Food and "service" being the easiest to work on.

My mistake @nd_eric_77. Yes you could've gotten better. Pluit has incredible food. A nasgor I ate a few blocks from Empo mall was one of the best I ever tasted, and it was only 10 ribu.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-31 at 1.22.02 PM.jpeg

Sunday lunch at our usual beach restaurant.

Grilles garlic prawns as starter for both of us (no pic)
The Miss had a pork schnitzel

IMG-20210801-WA0009_copy_600x800.jpg

I had pizza Capricciosa, nice and crispy as I like them

IMG-20210801-WA0010_copy_800x600.jpg

Dessert :

IMG-20210801-WA0011_copy_800x600.jpg

As usual, washed down with 3 (generous) glasses of wine....

No big adventures today, simple basic stuff...

Omelette with potatoes, mushroom and parsley for lunch

IMG-20210802-WA0006_copy_800x600.jpg

Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner.

IMG-20210802-WA0008_copy_600x800.jpg

Technically "Napoletana" as we prefer this taste compared to the Bolognese in the same brand.

IMG-20210802-WA0009_copy_600x800.jpg

We just add some minced beef to the mix.

Staying with Punans in Sarawak a couple of hunters came back one evening with a few monkeys. They cooked them over hot embers so the fur burned off and then offered them for makan with them looking like cooked babies. As a vegetarian I was reasonably able to decline the offer. But with reference to earlier posts about raw fish I would suggest that eating any raw or undercooked flesh is not a good idea. Many animals have parasites which can then happily make their home in you as their new host.

Staying with Punans in Sarawak a couple of hunters came back one evening with a few monkeys. They cooked them over hot embers so the fur burned off and then offered them for makan with them looking like cooked babies. As a vegetarian I was reasonably able to decline the offer. But with reference to earlier posts about raw fish I would suggest that eating any raw or undercooked flesh is not a good idea. Many animals have parasites which can then happily make their home in you as their new host.

The detail is in how it was supposed to be eaten..... Dig in the Wiki article.
My dad, who had a bit of an adventurous life in the region, spoke to me about it several decades ago.

And no, I didn't try it. I like adventure, but there is a limit .....

Anyway, bon appetit !

Homemade pineapple wine. I'm not a wine guy, as I may have mentioned on the forum. First batch has a nice "mouth feel" (I think that is what they call it), thick but not syrupy. Clarity is... yeah, not clear, but I didn't use any clarifying agents. It may clarify with time, there still being another 8 liters sitting around. As for the actual flavor... Sweet and tart. To me it is somewhere between wine and cider, but more to the cider side. I'm okay with it, but I'll have to get someone who actually drinks white wine for flavor to give an opinion. It definitely contains alcohol 😄 I'll make it again.

Attachments

• 16280064702418486787686418089390.jpg
    16280064702418486787686418089390.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 117
Homemade pineapple wine. I'm not a wine guy, as I may have mentioned on the forum. First batch has a nice "mouth feel" (I think that is what they call it), thick but not syrupy. Clarity is... yeah, not clear, but I didn't use any clarifying agents. It may clarify with time, there still being another 8 liters sitting around. As for the actual flavor... Sweet and tart. To me it is somewhere between wine and cider, but more to the cider side. I'm okay with it, but I'll have to get someone who actually drinks white wine for flavor to give an opinion. It definitely contains alcohol 😄 I'll make it again.
ahhh I see now why I got the message :p
Yes I have been known to be a bit of a winey person in my dark & distant past,,, winey not whiny/nor wino ...
hic.

No inspiration for lunch, so KFC it was for both of us.
Ok, ok, we do that only once a month ! I.dont want to lose my French passport....😄😄

IMG-20210804-WA0014_copy_800x600.jpg

Dinner was Escalope Milanaise with spaghetti aglio e olio. Spaghetti partly cooked in water and then finished in the fry pan, in a mix of olive oil, garlic, parsley, red chili and mushrooms.
IMG-20210804-WA0013_copy_800x600.jpg

IMG-20210804-WA0011_copy_800x600.jpg

Although it has been ages I didn't cook this, it turned out perfect. Pasta and the chicken escalope cooked at perfection, the meat still a bit moist, and the "sauce" was spot on.
I give myself a 9/10 for this plus an "excellent" award....

And supreme award, the Missus said it was very nice !

Nothing wrong with some KFC once in a while @Balifrog

I'm an A&W man myself. Everyone always says A&W over KFC?? Yeah I said it! The A&W I get chicken from is much better than KFC. Perhaps since they get less orders, I get chicken that's more "fresh", who knows.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:6)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back