Today is Batik Day!

dafluff

Cager
Today is designated Batik Day, to celebrate batik's inclusion in UNESCO's Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. Today is the 10th year since it has been so included, so it's a big milestone!

Wear batik today with pride! (y)

While I'm collecting old maps, my wife has a huge collection of (handmade) batik and woven textile.

For those interested, in Solo you can visit a production facility which is connected to a shop and museum. Nice to see how it's made on a bigger scale. (No printing.)

Got the memo about Batik day on the work WA chat and then rocked up to Batik Keris Tuesday night to get me some Batik action happenin'.

Glowing endorsements all round the office yesterday :)

But those Fridays you can consider more as 'casual Friday' in the US or so. Concerning the dress code, wearing Batik to the office. The UNESCO day is something very different.

8 years in Indonesia and I had no idea Bali had a different day of the week for batik. I guess you learn something new every day. (y)

It's actually not batik day, it's traditional Balinese clothing day. Just recently recommended (decreed?) by the new governor. Same time as the requirement to have Balinese script written on business signs.

Batik Day exists to promote the sale of Indonesian batik. Other reason are of little consequence or purely coincidental.

Batik Day exists to promote the sale of Indonesian batik. Other reason are of little consequence or purely coincidental.
Oh you cynic
Next you will be suggesting Valentine's day is purely to flog chocolate and double the price of red roses

Red days are holidays marked by paid time off; all the rest are marketing hype. (Most holidays have been co-opted by the hucksters, as well.)

Nothing wrong with stimulating the local industry in such an innocent way. And it does keep alive -or create- some cultural and historic awareness.

Unlike what many people think there are major differences in regions but also history. There was even a Batik Belanda and Batik Hokokai. All from the colonial era. The latter is batik which originated during WW II in the Japanese period (butterflies, big flowers etc.) while the former was created by bored Dutch housewives, Van Zuylen is the most famous one. All these pieces are very expensive.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back