The Indonesian police will now send warning messages to errant social media users.

dafluff

Cager
The Cybercrime Division of the Indonesian police now sends warnings to social media posters. The police will send DMs to warn users if their post seems to contain hoaxes, incitement, or hate speech. The user then has 24 hours to delete the content or face further action.

Today, they have sent out 12 such messages already, so check your inboxes...

The Cybercrime Division of the Indonesian police now sends warnings to social media posters. The police will send DMs to warn users if their post seems to contain hoaxes, incitement, or hate speech. The user then has 24 hours to delete the content or face further action.

Today, they have sent out 12 such messages already, so check your inboxes...

I'm surprised you got twelve in just one day. Could I get your Facebook handle? :popcorn:

How do they determine hoaxes, incitement, or hate speech? If it is 'expert' opinion, then what happens if your opinion doesn't line up with their opinion?

Since my FB and IG are private how can they view? Or send me DM's? Story sounds like a hoax.

How do they determine hoaxes, incitement, or hate speech? If it is 'expert' opinion, then what happens if your opinion doesn't line up with their opinion?

They will determine it is as they feel like? You can choose not to heed the warning, the police may decide to prosecute, then a court will decide whose opinion was correct.

Since my FB and IG are private how can they view? Or send me DM's? Story sounds like a hoax.

As always, these types of cases start when they both go viral, and someone gets offended enough to proceed with legal action. If your account is only visible to a few people, then it's unlikely that it can go viral.

Sending a warning first is actually an improvement, previously they would just start the legal process.

It's more a matter of who you offend. A local villager here got a 6 month jail sentence for asking the wrong question on FB in a provocative manner of a local big wig. It didn't go 'viral' but it served as a good warning to anyone else locally who wanted to kick a can...

As always, these types of cases start when they both go viral, and someone gets offended enough to proceed with legal action. If your account is only visible to a few people, then it's unlikely that it can go viral.

Sending a warning first is actually an improvement, previously they would just start the legal process.
Why do I get the sinking feeling that it won't be limited to viral posts? Browsing enough hot button topics (via hashtags for example) could net them an offender to make an example out of.

Authorities are now stating Covid cases are going down. In the present circumstances I can't help but wonder if one were to question that or deride such a statement, given unreliable reporting of cases, this would be tantamount to using social media in such a way to as to incur displeasure of the Cyber Crime Division.

Well if you can prove your case in court, then sure, why not?

Thanks
Of course it is Dave70. Any website or application which enable people to create and share content or to participate in social networking is sosmed and therefore fully in the scope of ITE law..

Thanks for the info, but I do not know if I should be sad or happy. I used to proclaim proudly that I'm not into any "social media" because I don't Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Now, having realized that I'm in social media after all... I can't say that anymore (lest I lie).

2uTf7WJ.png

I don't see how they would send a warning to one of the posters here. Maybe they could set up a new registration (@cybercrimecop-lokal is still available), and then send PMs to snpark or whoever wrote something they didn't like.
Even on twitter I don't believe you need to give a phone number to register so how do they enforce it or prove who people are?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back