Termination of dual citizenship status.

Probably to do with the fact that if you give up WNI citizenship while in Indonesia you are then in the country without status? They didn't put any provisions in the law for what to do in case someone wishes to give up WNI status, but still live in Indonesia immediately thereafter.
I wonder what happens if the dual national is in Indonesia but at the age of 18 (or 21) does nothing. They don't report to anyone, don't travel outside the country etc. they just continue their normal life. We all pay close attention to govt rules but there are many people who don't. It's possible they don't even have their foreign passport any more. Let's say the family had fallen on hard times and lives in a kampung somewhere.

If someone found out, could they be deported? Imprisoned?

I'm guessing this situation must have happened.

I wonder what happens if the dual national is in Indonesia but at the age of 18 (or 21) does nothing. They don't report to anyone, don't travel outside the country etc. they just continue their normal life. We all pay close attention to govt rules but there are many people who don't. It's possible they don't even have their foreign passport any more. Let's say the family had fallen on hard times and lives in a kampung somewhere.

If someone found out, could they be deported? Imprisoned?

I'm guessing this situation must have happened.
The citizenship would be automatically void (if he/she still holds the foreign citizenship). That person could not apply for a passport, and if do, would be exposed for illegally holding 2 citizenships.

However, if that person does not expose himself with an application for a new passport after the age of 21, would be hard to catch him/her.

The government can: a)deport that person or b) grant humanitarian KITAS/KITAP without deportation (this happens more often).

There must be many dual nationals that never applied for the passport of the foreign country. Or had one initially but never renewed it. So they couldn't be deported I guess.

There must be many dual nationals that never applied for the passport of the foreign country. Or had one initially but never renewed it. So they couldn't be deported I guess.
Believe me, if in this situation, they will be happy to apply and get the foreign passport ASAP. If imigrasi can not deport him/her they can detain him till the situation is solved. By law, Imigrasi can legally detain a foreigner up to 10 years pending a deportation. It gives a lot of time to fill the forms of a passport application.
Thinking that Imigrasi would let them go just because they don't have a passport and therefore can't be deported would be a terrible mistake.
As Centurion hinted, An itas granted for humanitarian reason is a possible solution but is not a guarantee. I know an old Indonesian/dutch lady who received one. She did not get deported because she had absolutely no family left in The Netherlands (but had a grandson here). I also knew a french lady who received an ITAS granted on humanitarian ground for the same reason. She was 70 something, no family back in France and having spent a few decades here. She couldn't afford an ITAS Lansia and was granted an ITAS on humanitarian reason despite being technically on overstay.
I believe that the age of the two above person, and the fact that they had no family abroad is the two main factors which were considered. For the french lady, it was in fact clearly indicated in the documents granting her her status. A young dual citizen, fit to work, with some family abroad would probably not be dealt the same way.

Food for thought? Does having a KTP, but no Indo Passport change anything?
When one crosses the age of Dual National cut off?
If one already has a KTP and is shown on the KK as WNI, is there any need for a KITAP?
I believe KTPs are issued for life, unlike how they used to need to be renewed every couple of years?

A KTP is an identity card whereas a KITAP is a residence permit. Possibly it would be difficult to get a lifetime KTP as a dual citizen anyway. They might just issue one up until age 21 (not entirely sure on that).

I thought that a child born in 2020 would be able to have dual citizenship. So, is it correct that I understand that a child born in 2020 will need to decide when they are between 18 to 21 y/o?

I thought that a child born in 2020 would be able to have dual citizenship. So, is it correct that I understand that a child born in 2020 will need to decide when they are between 18 to 21 y/o?

Yes. I answered earlier with posting the portions of the 2006 nationality law and the 2007 regulations implementing it. All children must be registered as dual citizenship with the government to be eligable.

In addition, the government regulation also regulate the children having double citizenship as meant in the law, not yet turning 18 ( eighteen) or not yet marrying. The children having double citizenship must be registered by their parent or trustees at immigration offices or representatives of the Republic of Indonesia whose working area covers domicile of the children

You can't just get a second country's passport without registering as a dual citizen or it will void Indonesian citizenship. Another member posted how her daughter's Indoensian citizenship was stripped after they found out she had a spanish passport.

Since all dual citizens are on a list with the government, even if imigrasi doesn't devote resources towards it, enforcement of the law is not difficult. Covid has pushed for more rapid digitizing and organization of citizenship information and will make it even easier in the future.

It took 48 years to change from the last nationality law to this one. I won't hold my breath expecting a change to a new one from 2006. Most of us see the perspective of the children now affected by this law. The purposes of the nationality law was never about them. The law was more about controlling the resouces of Indonesia and stripping it from the influence of foreigners.

Last edited:
Yes. I answered earlier with posting the portions of the 2006 nationality law and the 2007 regulations implementing it. All children must be registered as dual citizenship with the government to be eligable.

Thanks for posting that. :)
Bureaucracy the gift that goes on giving. :unsure:
No wonder agents are so busy, and get paid as much as they do.
BUT, it is getting much better than it used to be, as so much goes online.

This changes a lot for me in terms of planning for my kids' futures.

I mean are there any opportunities here? Can someone convince me otherwise? Please try to convince me.

This changes a lot for me in terms of planning for my kids' futures.

I mean are there any opportunities here? Can someone convince me otherwise? Please try to convince me.
Not trying to be a hard-ass but we try to keep the conversations on-topic when it comes to the law section of the forum.

However, your question is a legitimate one! Feel free to start a new thread if you would like to discuss about this. I'll chime in too!

Possibly it would be difficult to get a lifetime KTP as a dual citizen anyway. They might just issue one up until age 21 (not entirely sure on that).
It's a misconception to believe that our kids are any different than another WNI and/or half citizen. This is something that parents of dual citizen kids have to stop thinking.
My second son is 18, dual citizen and has a KTP since he is 17 which clearly states that he is WNI and that his KTP has been granted for "seumur hidup" like ANY OTHER WNI. His KTP is no different from the one of his mother or grandmother.
Our kids have the exact same right than any other WNI, PLUS the bonus of having a second citizenship till they reach the age of 21.
At 21 my kid will choose if he wants to remain solely Indonesian or if he wants to give back his KTP seumur hidup, relinquish his Indonesian citizenship and become only french. I know he will choose to be WNI but believe me anyone treating him (or his younger sister) has an half citizen or being foolish enough to think that he has less right than another WNI, like not having the right to have a KTP at 17, the right of vote...etc would have a lecture on UUD 45.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back