Small business startup

WillieGibbs

We are looking to start a small home based cosmetic business. All natural products, creams, oils, soaps etc..
Can anyone advise the simplest type of business to setup, costs involved, and what the procedure and costs are for BPOM?
It will be fully run and owned by an Indonesian (wife)

Here are some links:

Here are some links:

Thanks Bad_azz, it looks like an UD is the way to go.

Does anyone have experience with BPOM and registering products?

Thanks Bad_azz, it looks like an UD is the way to go.

Does anyone have experience with BPOM and registering products?
Hi there,
I work in the cosmetics industry in Indonesia but not in manufacturing - I run an independent clinical testing lab for safety/ efficacy testing products made by mainly local manufacturers. I have worked with the BPOM on some projects and I have found them to be remarkably helpful over the years.
Hopefully someone can give you the advice you need but I recommend you contact the BPOM directly yourself to ask about it, they have always been supportive and helpful to me and my team.
There might be a certification of GMP requirement that might be difficult to achieve at home - but I have no idea.

Hi there,
I work in the cosmetics industry in Indonesia but not in manufacturing - I run an independent clinical testing lab for safety/ efficacy testing products made by mainly local manufacturers. I have worked with the BPOM on some projects and I have found them to be remarkably helpful over the years.
Hopefully someone can give you the advice you need but I recommend you contact the BPOM directly yourself to ask about it, they have always been supportive and helpful to me and my team.
There might be a certification of GMP requirement that might be difficult to achieve at home - but I have no idea.
Thanks Gemima,

I thought that all cosmetic products were required to have BPOM testing done?
When you do testing for local products, do you provide the necessary certification to sell products legally?

Thanks Gemima,

I thought that all cosmetic products were required to have BPOM testing done?
When you do testing for local products, do you provide the necessary certification to sell products legally?
Hi there,
I dont know what "testing" the BPOM does on products. I doubt they do very much as they dont have a huge team and there are literally 1000s of products launched here each year.

The testing my lab offers is not a legal requirement in Indonesia. No safety testing of final products is needed (although a lot of the bigger local companies do perform it). Mainly the studies I do are to provide evidence that a product is effective which is useful for marketing the product (BPOM do have requirements on this) or developing a better product.
If you are planning on making basic products, they probably will have basic marketing claims too and wont need you to do any testing. If you do have big marketing aims and want to make some studies feel free to contact me :)

Hi there,
I dont know what "testing" the BPOM does on products. I doubt they do very much as they dont have a huge team and there are literally 1000s of products launched here each year.

The testing my lab offers is not a legal requirement in Indonesia. No safety testing of final products is needed (although a lot of the bigger local companies do perform it). Mainly the studies I do are to provide evidence that a product is effective which is useful for marketing the product (BPOM do have requirements on this) or developing a better product.
If you are planning on making basic products, they probably will have basic marketing claims too and wont need you to do any testing. If you do have big marketing aims and want to make some studies feel free to contact me :)

Thanks for the info.
I will contact BPOM, they have been in the news for catching people selling cosmetics without BPOM authorization and handing out huge fines, so it seems to be a legal requirement to sell cosmetics here.

Thanks for the info.
I will contact BPOM, they have been in the news for catching people selling cosmetics without BPOM authorization and handing out huge fines, so it seems to be a legal requirement to sell cosmetics here.
Yes - all legit products for sale in Indo need to be registered with them

Hi there,

I think BPOM is just like FDA in USA or MHRA in UK. All products must passed/approved by BPOM before you can sell on market.

I have worked with the BPOM on some projects and I have found them to be remarkably helpful over the years.
I second that. One of these agencies where civil servants (at higher level) know what they are doing and will be interested in answering your questions in a professional way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back