Religious education for dual nationality kids

Ruserious

Recently some of the international schools have started to enforce religious education as well as Bahasa Indonesia lessons for dual nationality kids. Im just curious for the teachers on this site if this is the same in your schools and if there is an age cutoff - seems harsh to enforce religious education on 18 year olds etc. I understand this is a law that was never really enforced before for dual nationality kids? Anyway to avoid it?

My kids' school has issued a circular earlier in the school year that all Indonesian citizens (dual or not) have to enroll in Pancasila and religion classes beginning this year. BI has always been required. However, while the Pancasila classes have indeed started, the religion classes haven't, as far as I know.

Yes in ours everyone including dual nationals has to do 2 religion classes a week, the second of which is called "praying". On the positive side we are allowed to choose which religion (within the approved list of course).
Also, I am pretty sure that all the foreign kids who don't have an Indonesian parent have to do these classes too, it's part of the core curriculum as far as I can tell.

I was told by the head of one of the schools a couple of years ago (they were starting to enforce it then) that if you chose Confucianism they would most likely not be able to find a teacher and the student would just have to be taught at home. We ended up moving so didn't enroll there but that was the option we were considering. I'm not sure how closely they match up to what you say is your religion compared to what is on you KK... in which case we would have been screwed.

I'm not sure how closely they match up to what you say is your religion compared to what is on you KK... in which case we would have been screwed.
No they don't check that - the parents just have to confirm which religion class they want the kids to attend. What is on the KK is not a permanent religion choice anyway, at the CatSip they told me they could change it for me on their IT system if I wanted. It's just they have to put something there.

In the school our kids go to, they HAVE to take religion, Bahasa Indonesia, English and Mandarin. Mandatory.

Nope. Simply no. It’s illegal to be Atheist due we have only Protestan, Islam, Catholic, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Kong Hu chu as legal beliefs. I mean even in state or European university ( you must take humanity or social class and literature class . Sometimes it could introduction to islam or Judaism and sometimes is Bible class. So i don’t know why dual citizenship should get “the privilege” in Indonesia. It doesn’t hurt anyone to learn a little bit about other beliefs.

in my observation "religious education classes" consist mostly about history and some core principle of said religion, which basicaly they do not teach "faith" but history, i have spoken with a teacher that said "how to grade student on their religious study?, you don't. you grade their memory about said religion history and their etiquete while attending the class"

I mean even in state or European university ( you must take humanity or social class and literature class . Sometimes it could introduction to islam or Judaism and sometimes is Bible class.
Jaysus Krist! Someone has moved France out of Europe overnight without me being aware of it!.
For your perusal Sarah, since 1904 France has a strict separation between Religion and State. There is no introduction to the faith of Islam, Judaism or no Bible class in french public school. When/if mentionned its generally in an History course with faith, beliefs and practices not even mentionned. What you are saying is misinformed.

In French State universities you can do a major in topics related to religion matters and faith but you see, following these courses is a deliberate CHOICE from an adult. It is not mandatory.

If a kid (or should I say the parent's kid) wants to have religious education s/he goes to a private school or follow the weekly 1 or 2 hour courses organized by his/her church/temple/masjid. That's what I did a few decades ago as a kid in France.

It doesn’t hurt anyone to learn a little bit about other beliefs. /quote]
The above sentence of yours is pretty rich and I encourage you to think about it considering that agnoticism and atheism are forms of (dis)belief. Why should they be illegal considering that over 1 billion people on Earth (source: atlasocio) declare not having a religion?
Animism is the belief of over 300 millions people in the world, a number superior to the whole population of Indonesia, with some of the followers being Indonesian natives. Why does Pancasila and UUD not recognize it as a worthy belief?

Because there has to be one God (I know I know, but Soekarno was smart to find a solution for the Balinese).

Indeed, considering Pancasila one has to have one God to be selected among a proposed panel of Gods. But then, if you deny others the right to have different beliefs, including not having a God, it's a bit rich to come up with a sentence such as "it doesn’t hurt anyone to learn a little bit about other beliefs." What about respecting other beliefs? :D

Not true I have been in several University in US and . I studied i. US public university. They have introduction to islam & Jewish also they have bible class and bible literature too.

Well you are in Indonesia so you have to abide the law to stay here. And it’s just learning a subject . No one force you to believe in anything but you have to pick where do you fall into beliefs category. In US, public school and many Europeans public school taught about Buddha, Muhammad and many other beliefs. I think being open-minded would help people to respect the country that you choose to live in.
If you dislike then you can tell the authority but they surely abide and respected the law . Every country is different and that’s what made them unique. You can’t force crowds to accept you while you are an alien to them. You have to adapt and understood and be open-minded. You can’t forced someone to think or do what you want. Sometimes things happen for a reason.
And i agreed with the guy who said the class is about memorizing a religion. Treat it like any other subject, why being so offensive towards the idea of religion?

An atheist is a person who is usually open-minded and more accepting about other. but if a person being offended just because a word called “religion”, they treated atheism just like other religion and that person is a fanatic not an open-minded person. Religion isn’t bad as what people picture. And religion class isn’t bad.. It actually reminded the kids to do good deeds

Last edited:
The public schools in many Western European countries have quite good solutions in place; you can choose the religion you want to be educated in. (Any! They have to provide for instance Shinto or Sikhism teachers if those are selected.) And for those who are not religious, during those hours there is Social Science, in which all 'learn a bit' about the different religions in the world.

Not true I have been in several University in US and . I studied i. US public university. They have introduction to islam & Jewish also they have bible class and bible literature too.
Is the US part of France now? So much has happened last night. :D
Before saying "not true" you perhaps should re-read my post. I repeat, in France, which to the best of my knowledge is part of Europe, religion is not forced on you as a mandatory class.

Also, you are comparing apple and orange by saying that in US university bible class are taught. I suppose they are if you have CHOSEN a major which have some relation with religion. The OP is talking about religion being forced on kids who haven't choose it (or whose parents haven't chose it).

University is different because it is not mandated by the government like a high-school education is. Furthermore, even at public universities those classes are optional, chosen by the student based on their field of study or personal interests. A publicly funded university wouldn't dare make a religion class mandatory.

Well you are in Indonesia so you have to abide the law to stay here. And it’s just learning a subject .
To tell you the truth, my kids have grown up in Indonesia and I have no problem with the fact that they got taught "their" religion.
I was more reacting at your generalization and false statement implying that in Europe Bible class are part of the Education program for kids, which is wrong.
I was also amused at the statement that it doesn't hurt to learn (and respect?) other beliefs. Not something Indonesia has really achieved imho.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back