Post pictures of food you made!

View attachment 556

Crazy, right? One stem of leek. So I tend to use spring onions instead but it's not exactly the same.

When they had no kale yet in the supermarkets, I tried Papaya leaf but you need to squeeze the bitterness out.

that's the bule price, because its from kemchicks hahaha

OMG, I love colcannon & sprouts... sigh.
Re leeks- I just substitute spring onions when making leek & potato soup ;)

One fruit I have been really happy to find now & again is nectarines, it seems they are becoming more prevalent/popular. Not that long ago they were almost impossible to find. The other week I got 4 of them for about 30,000IDR
I'm still trying to buy tinned fruit that isn't in syrup.

I'm still trying to buy tinned fruit that isn't in syrup.

I found mandarins and peaches in cups on apple juice once, at least it isn't syrup ? :D

Good on jstar to make the traditional Dutch stuff. What potatoes do you use here for the mash?

Good on jstar to make the traditional Dutch stuff. What potatoes do you use here for the mash?

Yes, that is a bit of an issue; in Asian countries the different varieties are not well known and the plants are more selected* on yield and hardiness (being able to deal with temperature and insects) and virus & bacteria resistance. Also, fries are popular which of course require a harder and more firm potato. (But the big fast foods chains import those.)

So I try not to make a fool of myself and don't ask for Bintje or Irene or so, but I did find that the ones in the Kelapa Gading market are softer and more crumbling than in the supermarkets.

*University of Wageningen supports projects also in RI (my brother participated; he told me the potatoes are practically all Granola here).

Last edited:
Ah okay. You're probably using IMGUR or so? It is blocked here, PostImage still works.

Well no pics of ice cream yet because we keep taste testing it to fast but heres a pic of our new ice cream maker. We are still trying it out and have made vanilla, coffee mocha and choclate. Working on the right base with ingredients that are a available to us , so we are still a few days away from avacado , mango and piasang gorring ice cream.
20180716_144606.jpg

jstar i was searching for stevia (for baking) and it pulled this thread...saw you baked a cheesecake using stevia...how does it taste? How much did you use? I'm lately just starting to bake a bit to create low carb cakes/breads and so far using stevia/diabetasol hasn't created a natural tasting product.....

jstar i was searching for stevia (for baking) and it pulled this thread...saw you baked a cheesecake using stevia...how does it taste? How much did you use? I'm lately just starting to bake a bit to create low carb cakes/breads and so far using stevia/diabetasol hasn't created a natural tasting product.....

Rather similar taste to the NY cheesecake from CB&TL. Using approx. 8 table spoons of Stevia in a 22 cm baking form. And yoghurt. All ingredients and stock of (2 kg) cream-cheese, (huge tin of) blueberry jam and (fresh bags of) yoghurt, are sourced via Tokopedia.

But the Stevia I buy in Europe now again after a failed switch to Tropicana. Bit like coffee; produced in Indonesia but the best and cheapest is sold abroad.

Also use it with carrot and pumpkin cake and those I personally like even better, esp. with crushed walnuts (pecan price is crazy).

I just got the ILite sweetener (from Singapore...a mix of Stevia and Errythritol...we'll see how that tastes later...I guess prices in Indo now are not that bad..250gram Erithrytol here about 70rb vs Sing$ 6.90 for 350gram. I didn't bring my ILite with me through the cabin (my aunt was flying the week after with checked in baggage so she brought it with her instead). I'm curious if I were to bring about two bags of it (1 kg) through the cabin, would it be thrown out by the customs....(or if I were to buy Swerve in the US).

I did have a discovery today...Lakanto sweetener which is expensive in the US, turned out is made out of luo han kuo fruits...which is quite cheap here (the processed version is actually quite cheap at about 22rb/box)..only downside is, the color which is brown so all my breads/cakes will have to be like carrot cake, whole wheat color like breads...

B6FE5AAB-44F3-4E85-8AC8-53E15904325D.jpeg

Piece of the pumpkin pie I made a couple of days ago.

In fact the nomenclature of nuts is very different here (obviously since they are very different from our western varieties); they advertise the local ‘kenari’ as walnut. While the taste is rather similar, and it’s probably from the same family, and hopefully as healthy*, the flesh of the nut has a very different shape.

NB: Top is covered with almond of course, but the kenari looks rather similar.

*https://m.liputan6.com/health/read/3580216/kacang-kenari-enyahkan-risiko-diabetes

Last edited:
saw you baked a cheesecake using stevia...

30A67269-308B-4108-8173-1A5E80E9A6CA.jpeg

A new one just coming from the oven. The aluminium foil protects the cheesecake against the water bath. Can’t trust the baking forms with removable bottom (only the one from Jamie Oliver doesn’t leak).

Need to wait till it cools down somewhat and then cover it with the the blueberry.

Very tasty jalapeno cheddar bread,
Wife made it but I think my contribution is significant, I did the heavy and dangerously hot work, ie handling the Dutch oven:cool: taking pics and taste it.

No photo... BUT
I did find Atlantic Cod the other day in Setiabudhi supermarket Bandung.
It wasn't overly expensive- in fact I wonder if they undercharged me - 2 large frozen fillets 43,000 Idr.
So ... I made cod & chips & mushy peas- for the UK folks - nahnahnenahnaaaaaaah!
:ROFLMAO:

No photo... BUT
I did find Atlantic Cod the other day in Setiabudhi supermarket Bandung.
It wasn't overly expensive- in fact I wonder if they undercharged me - 2 large frozen fillets 43,000 Idr.
So ... I made cod & chips & mushy peas- for the UK folks - nahnahnenahnaaaaaaah!
:ROFLMAO:

Are you sure Atlantic cod, not pangasius (cat ish)?
I heard many cases where pangasius is marketed as cod fish.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back