Post pictures of food you made!

dafluff

Cager
Today is Galungan in Bali and a holiday. Perfect time for some home cooking.

I made some Chickpea and Beef Stew today, along with an eggplant and potato casserole. And some healthy garden salad. It photographed really well (and tasted pretty good), so here is a photo... :hungry::hungry:

Post some of your pictures for inspiration!

96d5b357-04bc-45f2-839c-69cb4838ff15.jpg

(To post photos, you can simply drag them into the text field, then select "display full image" below. Max photo size I think is 1024kb)

I always seem to be too late to take pics... food I make doesn't linger in the kitchen- I did make a cake for my brother in law's birthday a couple of years back & made a choc-banana butter icing for it... not the prettiest, nor in the least healthy cake- but it was very delicious:

A White loaf I made :

Celery soups: one with all the veggies left in, the rustic version... & one strained

& A vanilla, mango & choco marble cake:

That's about it for now... will have to rummage thru lots of photos to find the foodie stuff.

hernari.jpg

Ok THIS needs some explanation, I think... :D

A friend visiting from Finland brought me as present exactly what all Finnish people miss abroad: dried beans, Turku mustard and black rye bread (plus salty liquorice and Finlandia Vodka...). With a help from vodka and Bintang we cooked the traditional bean soup - loaded with some babi Mrs HeikkiL bought from traditional market - and the next day enjoyed it fully. Most of the bread and soup saved in freezer for later home-sick days...

A friend visiting from Finland brought me as present exactly what all Finnish people miss abroad: dried beans, Turku mustard and black rye bread (plus salty liquorice and Finlandia Vodka...). With a help from vodka and Bintang we cooked the traditional bean soup - loaded with some babi Mrs HeikkiL bought from traditional market - and the next day enjoyed it fully. Most of the bread and soup saved in freezer for later home-sick days...

It's always a treat to get stuff you miss from your home country. When I was living abroad I am always grateful for friends who brought in Balinese spice mix (base genep) from my favorite warung. Usually frozen and wrapped in a bunch of clothing in carry on luggage.

The Finland food looks like mushy peas- So thank you for reminding me, my mum brought me a pack of dried peas over, I shall introduce my hubby to the delights of a steak pie & mushy peas later this week.

I think my food photography skills need work, but this is tonight's dinner:
  • raw zucchini (yes, I cut it like that!)
  • hummus (yes, I made the hummus from scratch)
  • papaya chutney dip (yes, I made the chutney from scratch)
  • In honor of Van, a raw sambal made from my garden: chili, basil, ginger, borage, calamansi, and green tomato
  • sandwich on whole wheat with grilled peppers and steak (yes, I made the wheat bread from scratch)
  • sliced apple
  • green bean and egg salad with bacon flavoring
  • wine
DSCN1372.jpg

Wow, all that stuff made from scratch....color me impressed! :thumb:

Wow, all that stuff made from scratch....color me impressed! :thumb:

We have a big freezer, so I didn't have to make it all at once. The chutney has been in the freezer for months, as has the sambal, and I made the bread a week or so ago. So really the only work I did recently was making the hummus.

I will need to swallow a camera to get a photo of homemade dishes I like.

I think my food photography skills need work, but this is tonight's dinner:
  • raw zucchini (yes, I cut it like that!)
  • hummus (yes, I made the hummus from scratch)
  • papaya chutney dip (yes, I made the chutney from scratch)
  • In honor of Van, a raw sambal made from my garden: chili, basil, ginger, borage, calamansi, and green tomato
  • sandwich on whole wheat with grilled peppers and steak (yes, I made the wheat bread from scratch)
  • sliced apple
  • green bean and egg salad with bacon flavoring
  • wine
View attachment 397

As Indonesian, I don't understand how to eat it properly. I mean like apple in a same plate? I'd switch with zucchini.
But this is interesting, when I had a homey dinner with an Australian family, for the first time they served sweet potatoes (ubi kuning) on a same plate with chicken. Here, or let me say in my experience, sweet potatoes usually for snacks. I liked it though, new experience.

And here is my cooking. Even though I was in Australia, still looking for msg aka indomie..
IMG_3632 (Edited).jpg

Looks heavenly, Felicity!

I think you have a point about swapping the apples and zucchini in my photo. But since the zucchini was accompanied by hummus, it seemed to make sense at the time to give the zucchini and hummus their own plate.

Your comments are really interesting - for example, thinking that ubi and chicken together on a plate seemed strange. So many of our ideas about food are the result of culture and experience. We may think it is very strange to do things differently, but for other people from different places, a different way works fine.

An example for me (and many Westerners) is cheese and chocolate. Indonesians really seem to like to combine them. With all due respect, it seems like a very strange combination to me! (Though I have had a few sweet martabak with cheese and chocolate that were pretty good.)

Fish taco with homemade poppyseed mayo.

nN0hs7j.jpg

Coconut pandan panna cotta with poached nectarine
yX3MH02.jpg

Homemade pappardelle with green tomato ragu
5LZlGC3.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back