Personals and Connections

Felicity

This category is one of the quiet, with only a few messages/threads has been created.

Is that mean..... (Some) People are less or not eager to connect and get personal...

Is that mean..... Looking for a new friend is no longer interesting...

I'm glad it seems no lost friends that needs to be found.

What is more personal connection can we get from here........

It's just my mind wandering... :sleep:

I have all the friends I can manage at the moment. If one dies, I plan to use this category to fill the opening.

I already have enough apps and things inundating me with friend requests and silly videos of food or funny face pulling. And an anonymous forum is not my go-to for meeting new like minded individuals. My sarcastic blunt sense of humour usually frightens away the skittish

I don't know how personal I will be with others on this forum but I know I have received helpful information and had some good laughs. There seems to be more of a connection regardless of socio/economic status, or age. I have really appreciated most people on here and whatever they have to contribute. So in that sense it has been personal and maybe I will meet a few people from here over the years.......who knows.

I have all the friends I can manage at the moment. If one dies, I plan to use this category to fill the opening.

A post similar to the above was one of my early posts at the old forum. If I recall correctly it attracted a rather withering response from some of the old timers, though I don't recall who.

Of course, over the years I have met a number of posters in real life and made some friends. But that wasn't my purpose for starting to post, and it kind of surprised me since my original instinct was to keep my on-line and real-life lives totally separate.

Its a line from an Audrey Hepburn & Cary Grant movie, Charade, where she says, "I already know an awful lot of people and until one of them dies I couldn't possibly meet anyone else."

Shows his age.

But seriously; It always rubs me the wrong way if someone in the F-I-L expects me to be eager to be introduced to fellow country(wo)men or other Bule. I don’t feel the need that if someone shares my nationality or skin color to become ‘best friends’.

Of course WA/Line/Skype/FB has improved the communication with friends and family and reduces the need to build up a completely new network abroad. But there’s still some truth in that saying which they have in many countries: “A good neighbour is worth more than a distant friend”.

Last edited:
More than "some truth." I for one have learned that having good relations with neighbors is essential to enjoying life in our little part of Jakarta. To have good friends among your neighbors, you have to be a good neighbor.

^^I don’t particularly like some of my neighbors. They come to visit me almost every day uninvited and never even bother to knock on the door. They’d hop over the picket fence, through the back door of outhouse bathroom/kitchen and then roll around on the floor or hide behind the doors. These neighbor are, just to clarify, stray cats, flying geckos and sometime a chicken who doesn’t remember which house is hers.

Add to that an assortment of rats, snakes and bats. The bats are particularly annoying when the fruit of our sawo tree is ready. The bats swoop starting in the evening and try to fly off with a ripe sawo ball clutched in their little claws. Most are successful thieves, but the most annoying are those with more ambition than brains. They usually loose their grip over the plastic patio roof. failure is announced with a resounding crash and bounce off the roof.

Most are successful thieves, but the most annoying are those with more ambition than brains. They usually loose their grip...

Tell me about it; when I was walking a dog, I got hit in the vital parts by a jambu, dropped by one of these bats pretending he was a torpedo bombing plane.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819