New Zealand Terror Attack

? Weren’t the two suicide terrorists whose names were published, locals though?

Of course it is easier for them to attack in ‘weaker’ countries. Question is if such an organized multi attack would be possible here with the counter intelligence.

Because of the elections, but also with one of the most important Christian days, you see quite a lot of BRIMOB armored cars (panser anoa) in the city.

Of course you could ask yourself what use that has, besides being somewhat of a deterrent perhaps.

And it is very obvious there the ‘contacts’ play an important role (not coincidentally you’ll see them always at Agung Sedayu buildings and malls).

I think Indonesia has quite strong and not so visible cooperation with US intelligence services. A lot of terror attacks are prevented at the seed level. News about catching terrorist at their homes in the preparation phase, redhanded, are quite often here.

So some ISIS dickheads have claimed responsibility for the Sri Lanka attack, and claim it is a retaliation to the NZ attack.

The attack was very sophisticated, and it is almost certain that there was outside help, so ISIS bomb experts could have been involved.

When a firecracker goes off or a car back-fires, the Islamic State claims responsibility.

When a firecracker goes off or a car back-fires, the Islamic State claims responsibility.

I got a good chuckle out of this, but it's sad that people feel the need to resort to these sort of tactics regardless of affiliation or belief.

Why is there lack of condemnation for the Sri Lanka terror attack compared to the New Zealand terror attack ???

What makes you say that?

Just my feeling (even here in this forum, nobody start a thread about it), but I'm not alone https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/04...rch-why-didnt-we-do-the-same-after-sri-lanka/

"The carnage in Sri Lanka which left more than 300 dead may have been carried out by ‘Buddhists’, according to the BBC Today presenter Nick Robinson on the morning after those hideous bombings. We all grope slowly towards meaning, don’t we? We look for precedent, we search for clues. I did both when I heard of the murders and came to a different conclusion to Nick. Someone had attacked Christians and westerners in a series of suicide bombings: that gave me an inkling. Perhaps — just perhaps — it wasn’t Buddhists. Perhaps it was instead the fanatics responsible for the vast majority of terrorism outrages in the world (Global Terrorism Index, 2000-2013) and 92 per cent of all terrorism murders in the United States since 1992 (Cato Institute, 2017). Yes, I thought, it’s probably them again. I didn’t find it a terribly hard call to make.

Compare Nick’s reaction, and indeed the overwhelming reaction of the western world leaders and liberal media, to the murders in Sri Lanka and the murders in Christchurch. In the latter case, everybody was clear firstly that it was terrorism and that Muslim people had been targeted, and they were happy to say as much. But they did not stop there. With great alacrity they also identified the poisonous ideology behind the Christchurch attack: racism, Islamophobia and white supremacy. The far right. Many commentators over here, including LBC’s in-house cretin James O’Brien, went further and suggested that those of us who find certain aspects of Islam a little difficult to swallow were directly responsible for the murders. The ideology was seized upon and rightly eviscerated.

Now look at what happened in Sri Lanka, and how we reported it. Of 20 world leaders, ex-leaders (Obama) and hideously useless also-rans (Hillary) who took time to condemn the atrocity, only one — Xavier Bettel of Luxembourg — mentioned that the victims of the attack were Christians. None of the 20 — none — mentioned the word Islam. So in one attack we were rightly enjoined to stand in solidarity with the victim group, who were not merely identified but lionised, and also enjoined to condemn the ideology behind the attack, which was very clearly explained in every broadcast. In the other, the victim group was not named and nor was the ideology. Why should that be?

We have got ourselves in a terrible irrational tangle over Islam and its confected opposite, its specious other, Islamophobia. It may well be that under our current definition of the term, it would be Islamophobic — and therefore a hate crime — simply to state this plain and simple fact: the murders in Sri Lanka were carried out by Muslims in the name of Islam. It is an article of faith for the liberals, who still cleave to the ludicrous idea of multiculturalism, that there are two things: Islam, which is a religion of peace followed by million upon million of pacific souls and must therefore be respected, and this other thing, non-Islam, which is what is followed by a minuscule proportion of nutters and extremists and has nothing to do with the religion itself, or is instead a grotesque perversion of it.

This is wishful thinking taken to surreal levels and an obviously false dichotomy. There are indeed million upon million of peaceable Muslims. But the gap between those two supposed opposites is not so wide as you might think.
"

For the rest of the story, please go to the link provided above.

Last edited:
The shooting at the mosque in New Zealand got much greater news coverage, and much greater condemnation because it's relatively new. It happened in a westernized nation which are supposedly safer, so it makes bigger news because it makes other western nations feel vulnerable. There is also a global rise in white nationalism that has started to express itself more often in these violent events.

It needs vigorous condemnation because there is still some ambiguity where people stand (Trump, "good people on both sides") and what the ideology really is. Muslim terrorists have been a regular feature of the news cycle for 18 years, the lines in the sand have been drawn, and a condemnation for the hundredth time doesn't need to be as strong as the first dozen.

The way the Sri Lankan authorities will crack down on Islam will be something Western countries wouldn't dare to do. But with such recent experience of conflict the Sri Lankans will, I'm guessing, be much more effective. I very much doubt the Sri Lankan government will be spending time debating a definition of islamophobia!

Last edited:
The way the Sri Lankan authorities will crack down on Islam will be something Western countries wouldn't dare to do.

My first reaction was to doubt that, thinking that Muslims probably make up 30-60% fo the population. A quick check to Wikipedia tells me "As of the 2011 census 70.2% of Sri Lankans were Theravada Buddhists, 12.6% were Hindus, 9.7% were Muslims (mainly Sunni) and 7.4% Christians."
Much fewer than I expected, and it doesn't bode well for them. Hopefully it doesn't follow Myanmar.

Why is there lack of condemnation for the Sri Lanka terror attack compared to the New Zealand terror attack ???

It's pretty standard Western news reporting bias no? Terror attack (or really any other news) in a Western country gets more coverage. I bet Notre Dame fire got way more coverage than Sri Lanka bombing.

Probably more Muslims in Syria were killed in the same week, but nobody seems to care.

Muslims killing Muslims, in Syria or elsewhere, I am thinking is a feature of the religion since its inception. Perhaps that is one reason it does not make the front page.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back