New civil lawsuit filed in JIS alleged child sexual abuse case

El_Goretto

Cager
Looks like the case is open again.

The alleged child sexual abuse case at the Jakarta Intercultural School (JIS, formerly Jakarta International School) has entered a new chapter after the mother of one of the three alleged victims filed a civil lawsuit against two teachers and five school janitors — all of whom have been convicted of sexually abuse and sentenced to prison — for IDR1.7 trillion (~US$120 million).

Source: coconut.

I'd be curious about your take on this. Previously when the mother filed a criminal lawsuit for $125 million against then school it got promptly rejected.

Now this new civil suit is against the teachers, cleaners and, oddly, the ministry of education and culture. What gives?

Please dear God let that be true. But what about Ferdi and the cleaners? (I know the female cleaner has been out on house arrest for quite some time, unless that's changed.)

ETA: just checked Facebook and it does appear to be true. If Neil is in Canada, I guess he is safe now. Hoping for similar good news for everyone else.

Last edited:
Such bittersweet news. I told my son - a high school student at JIS when this began, now a rising college senior in the US - and he said he felt like crying because how conflicted both Neil and Ferdi must feel. For Ferdi, I'm sure he's glad his brother-in-arms is free, but he must be scared that with the one foreigner out of the picture the spotlight will totally disappear for the remaining unjustly imprisoned. For Neil, while he is of course glad to be free, the fact it was only "clemency" by the Indonesian government and not exoneration must hurt, as well as the survivor's guilt he must feel knowing that Ferdi and the five cleaners (six counting the one who died in custody) are still awaiting justice.

I believe in kindness and forgiveness, but if I ever came face to face with the woman who instigated this terrible tragedy, I think I'd spit on her.

That’s one positive step in this long running story.

Glad there is some good news after all this insanity.

I tried finding out under what mechanism he was freed, or the fate of the others, but came up empty handed.

Anyone know?

My friend at JIS says all the cleaners are out, under "house arrest." Ferdi is the only one still in prison and that's because he refused to sign something saying he's guilty - all the rest did. But supposedly even Ferdi is under some kind of reduced time - like, he gets to leave during the day but has to return to prison at night.

Don't know how true all of this is but my friend is a JIS teacher so it's probably more or less correct.

I think the idea was to keep all this as quiet as possible so as not to stir up the masyarakat (again), so possibly not discussing it online would help all involved.

My friend at JIS says all the cleaners are out, under "house arrest." Ferdi is the only one still in prison and that's because he refused to sign something saying he's guilty - all the rest did. But supposedly even Ferdi is under some kind of reduced time - like, he gets to leave during the day but has to return to prison at night.

Don't know how true all of this is but my friend is a JIS teacher so it's probably more or less correct.

Do we actually know that the others signed? The clemency agreement(s) would have involved a promise not to reveal all or some of the terms agreed to?

From Detik today.
I am sure this meaning of "clemency" is available in English somewhere.

Grasi Neil Baintleman lantas dikabulkan Presiden Joko Widodo (Jokowi) pada 19 Juni 2019. Neil lalu bebas 2 hari setelahnya dan pulang ke Kanada.

Berdasarkan Pasal 1 angka 1 UU No. 22 Tahun 2002 tentang Grasi, grasi adalah pengampunan berupa perubahan, peringanan, pengurangan, atau penghapusan pelaksanaan pidana kepada terpidana yang diberikan oleh Presiden. Kendati pemberian grasi dapat mengubah, meringankan, mengurangi, atau menghapuskan kewajiban menjalani pidana yang dijatuhkan pengadilan, tidak berarti menghilangkan kesalahan dan juga bukan merupakan rehabilitasi terhadap terpidana.

It's alll nomenclature of course. The umbrella might be clemency, but it can be applied as a pardon, which is forgiveness of a probable sentence with no conviction (yet), or a commutation, which is very different with the existing sentence being reduced. So it should be the latter. The lady in the sexual harassment case would be pardoned by the president since she was not sentenced yet. (Grasi vs. Amnesti.)

Last edited:
The lady in the sexual harassment case would be pardoned by the president since she was not sentenced yet. (Grasi vs. Amnesti.)

I might be wrong, but I think she has been sentenced, but MA has refused? to execute it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back