Mudik and C19

nardo

It seems that mudik will not be restricted and that hundreds of thousands of potentially C19 infected persons will be leaving the big cities en masse. I'm a bit worried about it. ..how about you?

They're leaving. And thus will be infecting their own families. And those that make it back after 14 days will be clean

That doesn't make sense, New year is already a holiday with fireworks etc. They are not going to stop people celebrating idul fitri at the correct time - it can't be celebrated any other time. Since people are losing their jobs they will go much earlier I imagine.

Right now you have businesses closed and people out of work. Those that can travel, will. End of December you get a new holiday that is extended by Christmas and New Year holidays. Businesses closed, people still paid.

Seems businesses are going to get screwed on this.

I am trying to get my head around this - from my point of view it seems when Jokowi has a problem he creates a new holiday- what will happen when he runs out of spare days?

It seems that mudik will not be restricted and that hundreds of thousands of potentially C19 infected persons will be leaving the big cities en masse. I'm a bit worried about it. ..how about you?

This is a bad situation either way. Keeping a bunch of now unemployed people in Jakarta by force, or letting them go back and potentially spread disease in rural communities. I don't know which one is better.

It does download the responsibility to local governments ie. they would have to keep track who came back, and to make sure they self quarantine, but we know this won't happen.

This is a bad situation either way. Keeping a bunch of now unemployed people in Jakarta by force, or letting them go back and potentially spread disease in rural communities. I don't know which one is better.

It does download the responsibility to local governments ie. they would have to keep track who came back, and to make sure they self quarantine, but we know this won't happen.
I don't care about the keeping track of those returning, it's the outbound that worry me. When you live in a city where every single person heading to Sumatra goes through it, stops for gas, food, or rest. They mingle.

Bandar Lampung has 4 entrances where the Mayor has ordered all those traveling to be stopped, temp taken, questioned, and vehicle sprayed. Delays? Who cares. At least he is doing something that could aid in protecting all of Sumatra from more contagious people. He wanted to do more but the president says have to follow his plan only.

Commendable and great initiative. There is a lockdown of sorts here, where we are allowed to go to town but apart from necessary deliveries outsiders aren't supposed to enter. The have set up blocks at the 2 pintu masuk and those returning to the village have to report to the Kapala desa and polici. I dont know if anyone has reported but very few people leave to work elsewhere as the lobster fishing and fishing in general keeps most families pretty well off. All the warungs and homestay are closed by order of the local bupati. The lockdown is set to be reviewed on the 21st . My concern was for less fortunate and less well equipped small villages that have more economic migrants. In the hinterland.

Right now you have businesses closed and people out of work. Those that can travel, will. End of December you get a new holiday that is extended by Christmas and New Year holidays. Businesses closed, people still paid.

Seems businesses are going to get screwed on this.

Most private companies dont follow the "cuti bersama", and those who do are usually voluntarily and deduct the "cuti bersama" from the workers annual leave.

Government workers get some additional days off.

What I've actually heard is people speculating that they plan to allow the Mudik so that they afterwards can then close of the big cities and not allow them back.

Seems stupid to me though.

True Indonesian death toll nearly double
873c7d8ceafd4fe0836f6a462564ac02

isabellafowler
Indonesia's coronavirus death toll has likely reached 1,000, nearly double the official figure of 535, Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI) chairman Daeng Faqih was quoted saying on Saturday.
There is a discrepancy between official figures and IDI's estimate, as official data did not include deaths of patients suspected to have coronavirus but still awaiting tests.
"Those who were yet to be confirmed with Covid-19 were also reported by hospitals as death by coronavirus," Daeng told local media.
Indonesia's health ministry was not immediately available for comment.
Even with the official figure, Indonesia has reported more coronavirus deaths than any Asian country except China.
Indonesia's health ministry on Saturday reported 325 new coronavirus cases, taking the total number of infections in the world's fourth most populous country to 6,248.
University of Indonesia's public health faculty has warned that there could be more than 140,000 deaths and 1.5 million cases across Indonesia by May unless the government takes tougher action.
Indonesia on Friday surpassed the Philippines to become the country with the highest number of infections in South-east Asia.
– Reuters

President Jokowi will ban this year's "mudik". Instructs government to make plans accordingly. A previous survey showed 68% of people said they will not "mudik", while 24% say they will. Another 7% have already traveled to their home villages. Jokowi cited this survey, and the 24% number, which is still high.

Now I'm guessing between this announcement and the time they actually implement the ban, the 24% will have had time to go mudik.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
President Jokowi will ban this year's "mudik". Instructs government to make plans accordingly. A previous survey showed 68% of people said they will not "mudik", while 24% say they will. Another 7% have already traveled to their home villages. Jokowi cited this survey, and the 24% number, which is still high.
https://t.co/4OkQOSlctI?amp=1

Now I'm guessing between this announcement and the time they actually implement the ban, the 24% will have had time to go mudik.... :rolleyes:

They will not be allowed to return.

O
They will not be allowed to return.
Of course they will. Many are residents of where they live and have homes there. Many will go and they will return. Mudik travelers are not all low income people. They already knew they were not going when all the free transport was canceled last month. Those that already left mainly due to not having jobs will be returning too as soon as they hear their or other jobs are opening up.

You would need to turn them around and keep them from leaving. Roadblocks on the highways and at the ferry terminal.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back