Militarizing Papua

Papua is a difficult "battlefield". People should be well aware about its history, all the different groups involved and who is backing them, before passing judgement. Sadly there seem to be less and less realistic options for a peaceful solution of all the problems in the foreseeable future.

Papua is a difficult "battlefield". People should be well aware about its history, all the different groups involved and who is backing them, before passing judgement. Sadly there seem to be less and less realistic options for a peaceful solution of all the problems in the foreseeable future.
Why not just leave the people there alone! Stop the corporations, digging for minerals, and stop deforestation! Then you don't need any military!

That region is far too rich in natural resources to let go.

Also, don’t forget it was taken from the Dutch by force (with some help from the Russians), it was never in the ‘original’ deal about the United States of Indonesia.

There’s quite some pride and “we take back what’s ours” involved so they won’t let go that easily. Well, probably never.

That just ain't right! Everybody should just leave those folks alone! Who gave the Dutchies, a right to come down here and mess with these folks? So your saying, thar's a bunch of goodies to be had. Dang, sounds like Highway robbery to me! I say, get out them darts, dipped in frog squeezins, and help these greedy mongrels, into the jungle, and give em a healthy, heapin helpin of the local hospotallity!

Last edited:
Why not just leave the people there alone! Stop the corporations, digging for minerals, and stop deforestation! Then you don't need any military!
Nice thought but out of reach. You'd still need the military though.

That region is far too rich in natural resources to let go.

Also, don’t forget it was taken from the Dutch by force (with some help from the Russians), it was never in the ‘original’ deal about the United States of Indonesia.

There’s quite some pride and “we take back what’s ours” involved so they won’t let go that easily. Well, probably never.
Who gave it to the Dutch though, eh?
Yes the migas and minerals are very lucrative. Unfortunately the timber too. So as you say it will likely never be willingly relinquished.

That just ain't right! Everybody should just leave those folks alone! Who gave the Dutchies, a right to come down here and mess with these folks? So your saying, thar's a bunch of goodies to be had. Dang, sounds like Highway robbery to me! I say, get out them darts, dipped in frog squeezins, and help these greedy mongrels, into the jungle, and give em a healthy, heapin helpin of the local hospotallity!
There are some fighting for what you propose. Not enough of them so perhaps you could head there, change attire, and weaponanize and help where you think help is needed. Least you could do.

Who gave it to the Dutch though, eh?
Even if valid, that’s not the point here. Soekarno c.s. automatically assumed / wished that ALL territory occupied by the Dutch would be part of the Indonesian state. Obviously that is something the UN should never have allowed but at the time (and still) the Ruski’s and Yanks had too much to gain / lose in the region by not agreeing to this.

That just ain't right! Everybody should just leave those folks alone! Who gave the Dutchies, a right to come down here and mess with these folks? So you’re saying, thar's a bunch of goodies to be had. Dang, sounds like Highway robbery to me! I say, get out them darts, dipped in frog squeezins, and help these greedy mongrels, into the jungle, and give em a healthy, heapin helpin of the local hospotallity!
And while you‘re at it, don’t forget to put a flower in your hair
IMG_4212.jpeg

The ‘Leahy Law’ has been in the news recently. It was concerning the Netzah Yehuda, a rather fanatic religious battalion of the Israeli army which is active in Gaza and under scrutiny from the US for excess violence. The law states that subsidies and support can not be used for units and groups that are guilty of war crimes.

What’s quite interesting is that also Indonesia has been exposed to this law…

The ‘Leahy Law’ has been in the news recently. It was concerning the Netzah Yehuda, a rather fanatic religious battalion of the Israeli army which is active in Gaza and under scrutiny from the US for excess violence. The law states that subsidies and support can not be used for units and groups that are guilty of war crimes.

What’s quite interesting is that also Indonesia has been exposed to this law…

All because of China's growing military presence in the Pacific and policies that claim they own the majority of it.

I would rather follow Leary's Law of Tune In, Turn On, and Drop Out!

Shadrach, you come across as a nice enough bloke, but also as one who's never honestly engaged with a position other than your own. We all want peace rather than war. Love rather than hate. But do you think there are concrete steps we as a species could take to deal with the actual situations the world is facing?

Disengagement seems like a cop-out, to be honest with you.

... Ach, sod it. If you've got some blotter acid, I'll have some.

There are about 2.4 billion Christians in the world and if you take the virgin birth of Jesus as a miracle then the majority believe in miracles. The odd ageing hippy's hope for a miracle in a world of peace and love is perhaps no more far fetched.

Shadrach, you come across as a nice enough bloke, but also as one who's never honestly engaged with a position other than your own. We all want peace rather than war. Love rather than hate. But do you think there are concrete steps we as a species could take to deal with the actual situations the world is facing?

Disengagement seems like a cop-out, to be honest with you.

... Ach, sod it. If you've got some blotter acid, I'll have some.
Very well said! Yes, In my travels, I've seen, and been a part of the Dark and the Light! There is no way, we as Humans will ever all agree. That is what makes us all individuals! From what I've learned, is to give each person the respect to be heard, without interruption! Doing this seems to be the best way to live together, and resolve any problems! Sorry, no Blotter here, only the gift from the Cows!

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tehtelor
Back