Mexican Cuisine Survey

jasonpratamaaa

Hello everyone in the Expat Community, I am a business student from Prasetiya Mulya University going on my 7th semester. I on behalf of my team would like to share a survey to research upon the demand of Authentic Mexican Cuisine in Indonesia and the impact it can benefit for the community. Please take your time to fill in our survey below, every opinion counts. Thank you for your time. Stay Healthy and Stay Safe.

Survey link : https://forms.gle/cvc9spqYqduvfbz37

You know taco bell was supposed to open here this year? I guess it was postponed as no news..

Taco Bell is not real Mexican food. Some of the best Mexican food you can buy at the same price is from food trucks with an authentic taste.

I have seen a few places on Instagram that do tacos, but I have yet to try them.

Taco Bell is not real Mexican food. Some of the best Mexican food you can buy at the same price is from food trucks with an authentic taste.

I have seen a few places on Instagram that do tacos, but I have yet to try them.
You are certainly right that Taco Bell is not real Mexican food - in the same way that Panda Express is not real Chinese food. That being said, I still enjoy eating the stuffed burritos, chalupas, soft tacos, etc. at Taco Bell when I visit the US.

You know taco bell was supposed to open here this year? I guess it was postponed as no news..
Yes, taco bell was supposed to open this year, exactly on April 2020, but postponed considering that there are government regulations related to crowds due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

I have tasted many pseudo Mexican food in Indonesia and none come closed to my expectations and standard ( I am from California). There was one Mexican restaurant at Arcadia Senayan and now closed and the food was overpriced and the food was very small.

Used to frequent a (Mexican) place at Pacific Place that was decent in my opinion, kinda like Chipotle but without the frills (no refried beans, etc)..pretty sad when i went there recently and it's boarded up. Hacienda (at Arcadia) was pretty good and ambience was also decent, but expensive by Indonesian standard...probably cause of the location. Maybe non Asian cuisines (like Mexican, Greek) are struggling cause of Indonesians idea of if you haven't had rice...you haven't eaten/the 'fullness' is 'different'. Even Vietnamese i think took a while to take off....many years ago I remember there was one place at Epicentrum...and it took quite sometime before I started seeing more places opened up...

The best Mexican food I've eaten here was from my kitchen, and I am no cook. Erla's bar was good food, but not what I would think of as going to a Mexican place. There used to be another Mexican restaurant on Pasteur (Bandung), but it closed ages ago. I want some horchata and a massive burrito, now!

Hacienda was the one in Arcadia and PIM with mexican chefs (brothers) owned by Red Square group

Super Loco in PP was owned by Union group (Loewy) and closed replaced by Ismaya's Osteria Gia btw the original Gia in Sampoerno is now closed permanently

Theres Poblano in PP lt5
Or Txoko Spanish in Senopati excellent Spanish he does some Taco style things on request (chef Oskar)

Koi does salmon belly avocado tacos

Theres still a few more around in South Jakarta. Amigos seems to have arisen from its early covid issues. Theres picante on sudirman, a couple of chileco restaurants and i recommend a small place in dharmawangsa called taco local. Most of these are more tex mex than mexican. I did once go to a mexican in senyan called Casa Mexico and it was pretty good.

The best Mexican food I've eaten here was from my kitchen, and I am no cook. Erla's bar was good food, but not what I would think of as going to a Mexican place. There used to be another Mexican restaurant on Pasteur (Bandung), but it closed ages ago. I want some horchata and a massive burrito, now!
I think it was the Amigo’s franchise in Bandung on Pasteur (Just after the original toll booths, on the left, when entering Bandung). By far, some of the worst Mexican food in Indonesia that I’ve ever had.

I’ve eaten at Hacienda and one of the Amigo’s in Jakarta, and they were ok, but not really worth going out of your way for.

That’s one of the things I miss about not being in the SW US now. Really good Mexican food. If we bring good flour tortillas and hot sauce my wife can do a pretty good job.

My parents used to live in McAllen, right on the Texas/Mexico border. Getting cheap, but good Mexican food was one of the only good things about that area. Tamoles were about 75% less than what they were in Dallas.

I think it was the Amigo’s franchise in Bandung on Pasteur (Just after the original toll booths, on the left, when entering Bandung). By far, some of the worst Mexican food in Indonesia that I’ve ever had.

I’ve eaten at Hacienda and one of the Amigo’s in Jakarta, and they were ok, but not really worth going out of your way for.

That’s one of the things I miss about not being in the SW US now. Really good Mexican food. If we bring good flour tortillas and hot sauce my wife can do a pretty good job.
You are right, it was Amigos and it was terrible. There are some burrito sellers in Bandung on gojek now, but I have yet to get around to giving them a try. I think I'll be making chimichangas this weekend.

My parents used to live in McAllen, right on the Texas/Mexico border. Getting cheap, but good Mexican food was one of the only good things about that area. Tamoles were about 75% less than what they were in Dallas.
Ah, love me them parking lot tamales! Yumm.

Hacienda was the one in Arcadia and PIM with mexican chefs (brothers) owned by Red Square group

Super Loco in PP was owned by Union group (Loewy) and closed replaced by Ismaya's Osteria Gia btw the original Gia in Sampoerno is now closed permanently

Theres Poblano in PP lt5
Or Txoko Spanish in Senopati excellent Spanish he does some Taco style things on request (chef Oskar)

Koi does salmon belly avocado tacos
Poblano no more...last time I went it was already boarded up....pretty sad. I liked that place. Used to order the Carnitas burritos, until I was diagnosed with type 2 DM then switched to just Carnitas no tortilla 'burritos' instead.
Super Loco...not surprised it's closed. One time (the ONLY time) I went there...it's pretty much a loud, 'hip' place for youngsters to go on dates and buy overpriced margaritas.

That salmon belly avocado tacos do sound pretty tempting...

Last edited:
Maybe Bandung will be next? I hope they don't make too many changes for the Indonesian market.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back