Info: political gathering after Friday prayers in central Jakarta, Friday 19 April

El_Goretto

Cager
I've received a warning from the French Embassy that there will be a gathering tomorrow Friday 19 April after the Friday prayers at the Istiqlal mosque.

They warn about traffic congestion as well as the possibility of unrest.

As such, it is recommended to avoid the area if possible. If not, be aware of your surroundings.

Here's the email in full and in French:
Chers Compatriotes,

Un rassemblement politique est prévu demain – vendredi 19 avril 2019 – après la prière à la mosquée Istiqlal, dans le centre de Jakarta.

La dispersion de ce rassemblement pourrait donner lieu, jusque dans l’après-midi, à des cortèges dans les rues de la capitale entraînant des difficultés de circulation, principalement aux alentours du Monas et sur les artères principales qui y conduisent (avenue Thamrin notamment).

Les forces de police indonésiennes seront mobilisées. Pour autant, il n’est pas exclu que cette manifestation donne lieu à des débordements.

Il est, en conséquence, recommandé à chacun de faire preuve de vigilance et d’éviter de se rendre dans le centre-ville de Jakarta.

Si vous résidez à Jakarta ou prévoyez de vous y rendre ce vendredi, nous vous invitons à vous tenir informés de l’évolution de la situation, et à vous conformer aux consignes qui pourraient être données par les autorités indonésiennes.

L’équipe de veille de l’Ambassade est en relation étroite avec les autorités locales et vous tiendra informés des éventuelles évolutions de la situation.

Bien cordialement

L’équipe de l’Ambassade

Yeah he obviously wasn’t happy and didn’t agree with claiming victory, but the word is he has throat aches.

Prabowo has to pretend he thinks he won, or his nutjob support might turn on him, but since his political partners and VP are clearly not interested, soon it will be time to slink off into retirement (hopefully not to be resurrected for 2024).

As for Sandiago, his investment is lost in the short term, but he needs to leverage it for his 2024 bid, and spending weeks whining about losing won't help him get taken seriously for the big one.

I have had several muslims telling me that it's a shame Ahok couldn't be the VP candidate instead of the embarrassment that Jokowi chose. I wonder, is Ahok v Sandiago a possibility for 2024?

I know many Indo also saying ahok + Santiago is their preference. Let's see 2024

I know many Indo also saying ahok + Santiago is their preference. Let's see 2024

An Ahok & Sandiaga tiket would be hillarious, just to watch 212 people's head explode trying to process that.

In reality no ticket that has Ahok on it has a chance of winning. Jokowi had to pick the head of MUI to ensure victory, a ticket with a Chinese Christian on it is dead on arrival.

If Prabowo regains his senses, he may have Sandiaga run as President next time, similar to how Megawati stepped aside for Jokowi.

If not, then 2024 will have Prabowo again.

In reality no ticket that has Ahok on it has a chance of winning.

True. Not for nothing he is still 'honeymooning' (in Japan). I don't see any future (political) role for him in RI. Lectures at US universities, yes. Then Harry's chances might even be bigger.

My guess? Sandiaga Uno with Agus Yudhoyono (son of SBY). Just the question what Uno will do in the mean time and if Anies will become even more ambitious (and willing to go even more in over his head, see Alexis).

Actually he is in NZ now, my friend met him a couple of days ago

Could be, he was seen voting in Japan last Sunday. He was scheduled to give speeches in Japan, NZ and EU.

meanwhile jokowin is in GI today doing a walk of fame

Jokowi had to pick the head of MUI to ensure victory

When he made that selection I didn't like it, but I knew that sealed his victory by greatly neutralizing the religious card. If he had won by only 1% I suppose I would be happy he did take that strategy, but after winning by such a large margin it really leaves me wondering how he would have fared with another choice (though likely still Muslim).

I'm not sold on Jokowi, I'm just glad that the guy who threatened to shoot me didn't win, despite what he thinks.

I'm not sold on Jokowi, I'm just glad that the guy who threatened to shoot me didn't win, despite what he thinks.

Wait, what? Prabowo threatened to shoot you personally?

I'm also glad that Prabowo didn't win, though I am always shocked at how someone accused of human rights violations and a prior coup attempt can garner so much of the vote. For example, he's projected to have won some 80% + of the vote in Aceh despite his role during the insurgency. He even has Muzakir Manaf, a former GAM rebel and leading voice in Partai Aceh, fully supporting him (again).

How is it that the Indonesian public is so quick to forgive and forget?

I'm also glad that Prabowo didn't win, though I am always shocked at how someone accused of human rights violations and a prior coup attempt can garner so much of the vote. For example, he's projected to have won some 80% + of the vote in Aceh despite his role during the insurgency. He even has Muzakir Manaf, a former GAM rebel and leading voice in Partai Aceh, fully supporting him (again).

Not personally, I'm not important enough to show up on anybody's radar (which is good). I was part of the students who occupied the MPR/DPR complex demanding Suharto's resignation, and Prabowo threatened to make a Tiananmen out of us. Considering the government shot a whole bunch of students at Trisakti University just days before, I don't consider that an empty threat.

Seeing this guy becoming a viable presidential candidate is more painful than seeing President Trump. If Indonesia eventually elects this wacko as president, I would seriously consider giving up my Indonesian citizenship.

The situation in Aceh is really messed up. Kopassus under Prabowo was torturing and killing people in Aceh by the hundreds, probably thousands. Now they pick him? WTF?

Last edited:
If Allan Nairn’s reporting is to be believed, the most relieved people now that Prabowo lost (though not official yet) should be the FPI, HTI, JAD, PKS and even some in PD for alleged past corruption cases.

When I was in Banda Aceh last week I was told that Ma'ruf Amin was barely known in the province. Not surprising. This may explain some of the result? I would be curious to know what was behind it, given that even some Acehnese I met thought with the split in PA might cause it to go the other way.
(By the way, did I see you and family strolling around the lapangan Blangpadang on car-free day last Sunday?)

In other news, many thousands walked today for Banda Aceh's 814th birthday party, a walk of nearly 3 miles - a good distance for many locals in the muggy clime.

Last edited:
814th birthday for Banda Aceh; perhaps like me, Aceh is having to deal with a fleeting memory in its old age. That might explain the Prabowo vote.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back