I'm Marc, French Canadian living in Indonesia since 2001

Mamat

Hi all, the title says it all. Since 2001, I have been in Jakarta, Bali, Solo, Yogyakarta, and now Bogor/Jakarta. I have faced many situation in this Country, and even with the current situation (COVID-19), I am still here.

I am hoping to find new people who have also decided to stay in this country, with its flaws and beauties.

I'll keep this short, so stay safe all.

Welcome to the forum!

A lot of the WNA members of this forum are staying in Indonesia during the pandemic, myself included.

Hi Mamat, Welcome to the forum.

Having lived in Indonesia for two decades, I believe that not much would force me out and definitely not the present situation.

French speaker too, from Manado, Sulawesi Utara.

Two Canadians walking along the beach and they find an old bottle. Someone rubs the bottle and out pops a Genie. You may have one wish each says the Genie. Quebec guy says i'll go first and asks the Genie to surround the province of Quebec with a wall 2.5m high so nothing can get in. Poof! and it is done.
The guy from Ontario asks the Genie, "so absolutely nothing can get in. Does that means that absolutely nothing can get out?" "Yes" says the Genie.
"Then fill the fokker up with water."

Bienvenue.

Welcome! I applaud your affection for/commitment to Indonesia.

Most WNA who have managed continuous residency in Indonesia for nearly 20 years are married to WNI ... is that true for you? If not, how have you been able to stay?

I managed 17 wonderful years living in Jakarta as a WNA with a WNA spouse. I'm no longer in Indonesia and that's okay for my life at this point, but I miss the country very much and completely understand why any foreigner would want to stay in Indonesia for good.

Most WNA who have managed continuous residency in Indonesia for nearly 20 years are married to WNI ... is that true for you? If not, how have you been able to stay?

I am indeed married with an Indonesian Woman.

Hi Mamat,
In Indonesia since 2008, still here even though for a beach resort, this is not an ideal time at all. But we (both WNA) do not have any other home so where would we go instead ? I suppose that in my previous expat life I would have been offered a repatriation by my company, which i would have refused for the same reason
Our big question mark is rather : what the hell shall we do when we'll have not other choice than return to our home country because too old, no more job or not fit to work anymore. That day tends to come closer every year !
By the way French speaker as well, as my name suggests.
Stay safe in Bogor !

Hi Mamat,
In Indonesia since 2008, still here even though for a beach resort, this is not an ideal time at all. But we (both WNA) do not have any other home so where would we go instead ? I suppose that in my previous expat life I would have been offered a repatriation by my company, which i would have refused for the same reason
Our big question mark is rather : what the hell shall we do when we'll have not other choice than return to our home country because too old, no more job or not fit to work anymore. That day tends to come closer every year !
By the way French speaker as well, as my name suggests.
Stay safe in Bogor !
Yes, I am facing that issue now. Very difficult to find work.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back