"Illegal" IMEI: phone cannot be used

"

" Law enforcement and intelligence " isn't that an oxymoron given the amazing capacity for organizations to make gross errors, mixing up identities and generally stuffing up?

It says phones with foreign SIM cards are exempt from registration. My provider (t-mobile) has an inexpensive text & data roaming agreement in Indonesia, so my phone should work without registration, at least in theory.

This is all about tax income and shoring up local smartphone sellers.

Pardon me for not understanding this fully (or correctly)..I already have my local number/sim in Indonesia (I think I already registered I vaguely remember...) if I were to purchase (legally) a phone in Singapore...all i have to do is just switch the sim or do i have to re-register? I can't live without blackberry physical keyboard and trying to find new blackberry phone is not getting easier..

It says phones with foreign SIM cards are exempt from registration. My provider (t-mobile) has an inexpensive text & data roaming agreement in Indonesia, so my phone should work without registration, at least in theory.

This is all about tax income and shoring up local smartphone sellers.
I might be interested in getting a local (US) number too..My current actually a really old number that I converted (T mobile) into a pay as you go...since I left the US a few years ago, they don't have that plan anymore but old numbers still can carry that plan so i just deposit like maybe $30-50 to my account before i arrive and i have my us phone with me..but that plan is stuck in the stone age...only can make/receive calls and text...no data/whatsapp.

Pardon me for not understanding this fully (or correctly)..I already have my local number/sim in Indonesia (I think I already registered I vaguely remember...) if I were to purchase (legally) a phone in Singapore...all i have to do is just switch the sim or do i have to re-register? I can't live without blackberry physical keyboard and trying to find new blackberry phone is not getting easier..

Your current phone will continue to work, as it has been activated prior to the deadline. A new "imported" phone however should not. There were talks about being able to "activate" imported phone by paying the import taxes for it, but not sure what the status on that is.

yeah my cousin told me something about paying the tax...to activate it..i wonder if it's something the folks at Telkomsel and/or Grapari can tell me....either way my current phone (Priv) ain't gettin younger nor faster..

I can't live without blackberry physical keyboard and trying to find new blackberry phone is not getting easier..

End of August the current Chinese manufacturer will stop production. If nobody takes over...

It's in Indonesian..https://inet.detik.com/law-and-policy/d-4798870/aturan-imei-berlaku-18-april-2020-bagaimana-nasib-ponsel-bm but looks like if I can get the phone activated before April...I should be good to go?

The law is now in effect, starting April 18. Any phone used with an Indonesian SIM card before April 18 (but going back to what date?) has been automatically registered to the whitelist, and you should have received an SMS from KomInfo, or will receive one by May 2.

They have also released the procedure and form for how to register and pay tax on a phone bought outside Indonesia in the future. Intended for tourists, a phone SIM card can be registered for 90 days use without paying tax.

The law is now in effect, starting April 18. Any phone used with an Indonesian SIM card before April 18 (but going back to what date?) has been automatically registered to the whitelist, and you should have received an SMS from KomInfo, or will receive one by May 2.

They have also released the procedure and form for how to register and pay tax on a phone bought outside Indonesia in the future. Intended for tourists, a phone SIM card can be registered for 90 days use without paying tax.
Have received my sms from Kominfo. All good!

So I have received this, can anybody confirm me what it means.
My phone is from HK, but brought in over 2 years ago.

"IMEI handphone/perangkat yang anda gunakan telah terdaftar pada sistem kami. Jangan khawatir dan tetap #dirumahaja. Info resmi: https://s.id/gbg38"

"IMEI handphone/perangkat yang anda gunakan telah terdaftar pada sistem kami. Jangan khawatir dan tetap #dirumahaja. Info resmi: https://s.id/gbg38"

That is the standard KomInfo SMS to confirm that your phone has been automatically registered in their system, keep using it as normal.

Google translate not work for you?

After some delay this is now apparently in place. All phones already in Indonesia should be fine.

If you want to check whether a phone's IMEI is registered, you can do so https://imei.kemenperin.go.id/
Also useful if you want to buy a second hand phone of questionable origins.

If you bring in a phone from that is not registered, you can register and pay the taxes for it at:

https://www.beacukai.go.id/register-imei.html

My cell is an ancient Iphone 5s; am I exempt, safe, whatever?

My cell is an ancient Iphone 5s; am I exempt, safe, whatever?
Have you used it recently (past year?) with an Indonesian cellular provider? If so, it will be registered in the system and no fees owed. If not, it will need to be registered. Registration of phones over $500USD will also require paying the import duty/tax, though I do not know how they treat phones which are older and were purchased used/discounted/refurbished. Will they accept a receipt you provide for your specific purchase, or will they use the original retail price when that phone first came to market?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back